Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Homemade Outwitters Board Game
01-10-2014, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 02:48 PM by spacechef.)
Homemade Outwitters Board Game
Pretty interesting, but the article didn't really talk about how it worked.

[Image: 600-outwitters-01.jpg]

http://dorkshelf.com/tag/outwitters/

Live your life as more than plastic.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
RE: Homemade Outwitters Board Game
I've seen this before. When I first saw it, I didn't understand how health would work.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
01-10-2014, 03:02 PM
Or FOW...

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
01-10-2014, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 05:01 PM by spacechef.)
For health, you could have damage markers to indicate how much damage a unit has taken. The FOW element is much trickier. It's been done a lot of different ways, but I don't think you could truly get the same FOW as in Outwitters. Overall, a board game version would have to have some differences. Might be interesting to develop a free print and play.

So here's how it could work.

Setup - Players build an army using an agreed upon amount of wits. Choose a team, choose any units you want, just don't go over the wit limit.

Fog of War - Units within the fog of war are placed face down on the game board. A units line of site determines the fog of war for each player. Once a unit is within line of site, it is placed face side up. Line of site is 2 hexes for unrevealed units, or a units normal line of site for revealed units. A unit may reveal itself in order to gain further line of sight.

Spawning - Players are allowed to spawn one unit per spawn point per turn, at the cost of 1 wit each.

Movement - Units may be moved once per turn at the cost of 1 wit. Units within the fog of war can either move one hex without revealing themselves, or reveal themselves and move up to that unit's full allotted movement. Revealed units within the fog of war are than placed back to face down at the end of its movement.

Wit generation - Wits are generated at the rate of X per turn, plus 1 additional wit for each captured wit space. Wits may be saved from turn to turn. X can be variable, depending on your desired speed of play.

Attacking - Units may attack at the cost of one wit. Units within the fog of war must reveal themselves when attacking, than be placed face down after the attack.

01-10-2014, 07:52 PM
Fog of War makes it quite complicated, but your suggestion was clever spacechef Smile

[Image: Outwitters%20-%20Mobi%20vs%20Bramble%20-%20small.png]

Get your filthy thorns of me, flower dude!
01-10-2014, 07:54 PM
September 2012 I played my last 1v1 match using board made of Lego bricks. No fog of war and I lost the match. I am returning in 2014 - tournament 1v1 at first, maybe some league, too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/juslas/11868310043/
01-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Lol a LEGO version. Nice one! Big Grin

[Image: Outwitters%20-%20Mobi%20vs%20Bramble%20-%20small.png]

Get your filthy thorns of me, flower dude!
01-11-2014, 04:25 AM
I WANT THAT BOARD GAME. Though true FOW is tricky. Maybe just play without FOW, it becomes more like chess? Not a big deal IMO if it makes a board game possible.

OML MAKE THIS HAPPEN K THX.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
01-11-2014, 06:18 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 06:19 AM by spacechef.)
What would truly make it fun would be different game modes: capture the flag, capture X # of spawn points, etcetera. You could also have variant rules, like play with no fog of war. Outwitters miniatures would be cool to see.

I think there's a possibility for a free print and play, if someone truly wanted to put the work into it. The financials for an official board game would be a burden, as well as months of work and play testing to truly develop the game.

01-11-2014, 05:16 PM
I want a war hammer 40k feedback set Big Grin

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!