Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Clan Activity Discussion
10-02-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Clan Activity Discussion
(10-02-2013 01:02 PM)Doodat Wrote:  Players who actively play in Wolfpack: we have quite a few
Players who actively participate in the forums in Wolfpack: we have maybe four.

Seriously? I always figured you guys were pretty forum active..

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
(10-01-2013 11:23 PM)Thrutchy Wrote:  * Be prepared to change leaders at some point. Keeping a clan healthy requires work and leaders are likely to get burnt out sometime (from being a leader or the game in general).

Honestly I think this is iPro's biggest problem. The leaders have both moved on from Outwitters, yet there has been no change in organizational structure. The only reason iPro is still alive at all is due to a few active members.

As for no new players joining, I don't believe this is quite true. Likely the net result is a loss of players, but there definitely are a decent number of new people joining. Recently I made a new account and forfeited my placements to start in fluffy and work my way up to ST. Along the way I actually encountered a decent number of new players with relatively few games played and of a wide range of skill levels - Fluffy, Clever, Gifted, and even one in Master (though I guess that I might have been an alt). I also try random friendlies occasionally and I've met a number of 0-5 win accounts there. Anyway, the point is that Outwitters is likely losing players, but there are still a fair number of new players joining. If all our clans actively recruit and reach out to these players maybe we can slow the loss and increase retention rate.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
10-02-2013, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 01:46 PM by (Rone).)
(10-02-2013 01:33 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  If all our clans actively recruit and reach out to these players maybe we can slow the loss and increase retention rate.

I too hear a lot of people complaining how this game is going down hill. Whether or not is besides the topic of this thread. Maybe you don't get new recruits asking to join but is the only advertising done on your General Discussion Clan page?

I'd have to say that few clans are currently actively recruiting.

Proud Gifted League 1v1 http://osn.codepenguin.com/players/view/25336
[Image: sig.png]
10-02-2013, 02:14 PM
Hello everyone,

I've pretty much just lurked this forum and read the threads on strategy and what not. Love the game and would also hate to see it go downhill. In the last couple weeks I've been playing random friendlies and I have encountered a lot of unranked players and I strike up a chat with them and offer what little advice I know...to make them feel welcome so they give the game a fair shot and hopefully become long time players. I haven't mentioned the forums in my chats but I'm going to start. Although, I don't post on here, I appreciate the community you guys (n gals) have going. Good stuff. I think a lot of players don't realize there is this great resource for them.

The future of the game is going to depend on how many new players decide to stick around.

I'd be down to join a clan, if you'd have me...but honestly I don't know how much I'd post here. Plus right now I haven't been playing as much as I'd like because I have a life changing event happening soon. I mainly just have time to play the game but I like to see what new topics come up here. I also wonder when the new season will start and I also hope TTL2 will generate some promotion for Outwitters. Oh yeah, and I also hope that by some miracle Adam and Alex decide to release the races they never finished.

Anyway, just wanted to share and say WAt's App. I don't see myself stopping from playing this game anytime soon, so on behalf of those players that don't jump in on these forums...long live Outwitters.
10-02-2013, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 02:45 PM by CombatEX.)
The Benefit of Clan Tournaments
I'd like to add that a good way to boost clan activity is to increase the incentive to be active in a clan in the first place. Currently the main benefit is having people who are more likely to practice with you. However, that's a fairly weak incentive as there are plenty of nice people willing to help you out who aren't in your clan.

I think the best way to encourage clan participation is to make a Clan League running throughout the year in the same vein as the Good Game Clan Tournament. If we have more tournaments between clans it should help a lot.

1. Gives more of a reason for clans to exist in the first place
2. Can build clan loyalty within players and a desire to help your clan succeed

The way Outwitters currently is setup (no "short time limit mode"), large tournaments for individual players aren't very practical to hold frequently. They simply take too long to get through multiple rounds. However, I feel that Clan tournaments/competition, unlike individual tournaments, can really flourish in Outwitters. Why? Because all games can be played simultaneously. This means that we can guarantee getting through clan tournaments much more quickly if we set them up well.

Clan Tournament Format
Here's a potential format for clan tournaments. The GGCTournament format is good, but I think it's a bit too large and takes too long to be a regularly occurring event

Regular Season
- Any number of clans can join
- Each clan plays a match against every other clan
- 1 day per turn limits on games with a bit of leeway.*
- 5 games in each match
--- 4 1v1 and 1 2v2
--- Each player may only play one 1v1 game per match, but players who play a 1v1 may still play in the 2v2
--- 1 point per win

Finals
- Top two scoring clans from the regular season play each other
- Same game format as in the regular season
- Instead of points for wins, clan who wins the BO5 wins the finals!

Maps and Teams in Tournament Matches?
As for the maps and teams in the games, it could be done a number of ways. We could simply decide the maps ahead of time but allow players to choose their teams. However, the Good Game Clan tournament brings up an interesting alternative. Instead we could do the following:

4 1v1s total per match grouped into 2 pairs with designated teams. For example

[Clan 1] vs [Clan 2] on [Map]

Pair 1
Feedback v Scallywag on Glitch
Scallywag v Feedback on Glitch

Pair 2
Adorables v Veggienauts on Skullduggery
Vegginauts v Adorables on Skullduggery

This way helps avoid particular problematic matchups that could delay the tournament (SvS on Peakaboo for instance) and also promotes interesting games. We can change the maps and match-ups featured each clan tournament so we have a good variety. It also could be a way to look for solutions to difficult match-ups for teams on particular maps.

* Details on turn time limit "leeway". The exact rule can be tweaked, but here's an example. You have 3 days banked. If you go to 4 days, you use all 3 of your extra days (opponent should take a screenshot every time you go to 2 days+). Then if you ever go to 2 days again you lose. However, your 3 day bank can be distributed in many ways. For example, you could go to 2 days 3 times as long as you never go to 3 days. Or you could go to 2 days once and 3 days once (1 day over limit + 2 day over limit = all 3 days of bank used). This means that players have to take their turns at a reasonable pace (1 per day at least), but if they still have some leeway in case something turns up (like a couple weekend trips or a one-time 4 day absence).

(10-02-2013 02:14 PM)mr_13en Wrote:  I'd be down to join a clan, if you'd have me...but honestly I don't know how much I'd post here.

Welcome to the forums! But yes, this is exactly the kind of reason I think having consistent clan tournaments would be nice as it would give players like mr_13en more reason to visit the forums and either participate in the clan or simply to cheer his/her clan on.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
10-02-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 10-02-2013 02:57 PM by .Memories..)
(10-02-2013 02:38 PM)CombatEX Wrote:  I think the best way to encourage clan participation is to make a Clan League running throughout the year in the same vein as the Good Game Clan Tournament. If we have more tournaments between clans it should help a lot.

I've thought about this on more than one occassion. The main problem I run into each time is the same: Who is going to run / maintain this? jesus is doing a fine job, but it is very tough to keep track of everything. Even in the in-clan tournament I'm hosting it's hard to find the time to maintain everything.

The solution, of course, is to have some sort of automated league system (similar to GC, I suppose) where players can view match-ups and submit games. But this also takes time and effort to maintain, at least at first.

I'm going to honestly contemplate how we can get something like this going - thanks for reminding me CombatEx! Maybe we can team up in the future to make it happen Smile

10-02-2013, 05:36 PM
Clan tournament sounds like a great idea! Keeping the amount of clans in it low could help the outcome of the tournament.

Proud Gifted League 1v1 http://osn.codepenguin.com/players/view/25336
[Image: sig.png]
10-02-2013, 10:53 PM
I'm pretty sure somebody could set up a website that did automatic tournament hosting, brackets, etc. Or there might be on out there already.

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4
10-03-2013, 01:03 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 01:09 AM by .Memories..)
(10-02-2013 10:53 PM)Cor13:4 Wrote:  I'm pretty sure somebody could set up a website that did automatic tournament hosting, brackets, etc. Or there might be on out there already.

There are definitely tournament hosting sites (http://www.challonge.com), and also league hosting sites (http://www.myleague.com).

What I am proposing (and starting to conceptualize on paper) is a clan league system. Here's a very brief and rudimentary idea:
  • A clan leader registers their clan.
  • Members would sign-up and pick a clan.
  • Leader would receive a notification and then must verify that member.
  • Seasons would be 2 - 3 months each.
  • Clans can play 1v1 or 2v2 matches against eachother, then submit them into the system.
  • Points will be awarded based on player's rank within the system.
  • A clan's total points will be based on its members cumulative points.*
  • Top clan's will get medals (Gold, Silver, Bronze, etc) and awards (Best streak, >100 wins etc) each season that appear on their profile forever.*
  • Individuals can have medals/awards also.*
*subject to change

The current idea doesn't necessarily have any tournament factors, but those can be implemented along side or within this format.

I really do want to start working on this, as I've been looking for a side project. Recently finished school and started a grown-up job in engineering, but I have a lot more free-time at night than I use to without homework. Further down the road I'll probably set up a suggestions thread, since I'm not as creative as many of you all Smile

10-03-2013, 01:51 AM
Wow, that would totally rock!

"Love is patient, love is kind....It does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking, is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres." 1st Corinthians 13:4