Problems Compounded by Other Problems
07-11-2012, 01:31 AM
RE: Problems Compounded by Other Problems
Feedback.... CURSE YOU SCRAMBLER!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I agree! i hate having inactive games in my list.. 7 days is too much IMHO..
07-11-2012, 01:47 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 01:49 AM by ArtNJ.)
Comments in bold

(07-10-2012 03:16 PM)stevewastaken Wrote:  20 Games at a time is not enough.

Outwitters has *much* shorter game length than Hero Academy. Dont get me wrong, more slots can only be better for the players, but if it strains their servers or would be hard to implement, I dont think its a big deal, particularly if we fix your other concerns as noted below.

7 Days is too long to forfeit a League match.

What about vacations? If the timer is 3 days, and my opponent always takes 3 days and its a long game, I could unexpectedly hit my vacation, I should just insta lose? The real issue is not whether its 1, 3, 5, 7 days, its that we cant chose, and no single time is right for everyone. Again, OML is a two man team, and offering a choice may not be possible. However, they could easily set the default timer to 3 days but let very active players that have finished X games in Y time period have 7 days. A two tier system of this nature would be a good fall-back to allowing choice.

Forfeiting should be available ALWAYS, not only during your own turn.

Yes, this one is a no brainer. However, since OML is a two man team, and only one member is a coder, they have a priority list. And I dont think this should be at the top.
07-11-2012, 01:48 AM
I'll say it again, raising the cap without addressing the source of the problem (7 day limit where people often go inactive) is like borrowing money when your country is in debt and still at a spending deficit. You're simply delaying the inevitable - players reaching the maximum limit due to their list filling up with dead games - rather than addressing the real problem which is the dead games.

3 days for league please.
07-11-2012, 01:50 AM
(07-11-2012 01:48 AM)Szei Wrote:  I'll say it again, raising the cap without addressing the source of the problem (7 day limit where people often go inactive) is like borrowing money when your country is in debt and still at a spending deficit. You're simply delaying the inevitable - players reaching the maximum limit due to their list filling up with dead games - rather than addressing the real problem which is the dead games.

3 days for league please.

I think we should have a two tier system where active players "earn" a 7 day timer. Or the move timer is 3 days, but active players can earn 1 7 day adjournment.
07-11-2012, 01:56 AM
The thing is there are plenty of good, but complex time limit solutions. Harti posted in another thread a while back about how implementing any new time systems at this point would likely be a programming nightmare. As such I've stopped suggesting anything more than a simple change of time limit. I do like your suggestion Art, but I'm just not sure at this point how easy it would be to implement it.
07-11-2012, 02:22 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 02:23 AM by k.dot.)
I agree with the people saying that 7 days is too long. For me 3 days is a long time to wait for someone to make a move, however, it would be a huge improvement. I currently have 12 (yes twelve) games on 3 days.

ArtNJ, with the greatest of respect, who ever "unexpectedly" goes on vacation? And besides, I'd rather have a loss or two added to my stats and have a smoothly running game.

I play Call of Duty too and there's a ton of things that count as a loss: disconnections, joining the losing team a second before the game ends ect. but the game works well and is competitive because you can pick it up and play whenever you like.
.....locked out again now.....
07-11-2012, 06:19 AM
This needs to be fixed sooner rather than later.

Assuming 40% of initial games get connected with non-playing users(about what my stats show), then you lose 8 out of 20 slots immediately when you first start playing and fill up your games.

Then you got placed, and in a good league, only 10% of users are non-playing.

So you lose another 1-2 slots.

Then placement reset. Now you have 10-11 slots to work with.

You use them all up, another 40% get chopped off.

You now have 6-7 games that are active.

You join Gifted or Masters league.

Every 10 games I play, maybe one of the people will stop playing.

Eventually, my queue fills up and I have no ability to play.

This happens in a matter of 2-4 days. Meanwhile, the user is frustrated and unhappy. This could've been a very active, happy user playing 10-20 Gifted/Master league games a day, but now he's considering quitting because he has maybe 1-2 games he's able to actually play for the next 4 days.

You lose users.

I don't care if it's a simple increase in the game limit to 40, or a hard change to 3 day limit. If you don't change this now, you will lose users and player base. It's a simple business decision. You need to fix it now. Even if the fix is a band-aid.
07-11-2012, 06:31 AM
We hear you and we care about your feelings. This stuff is on top of the to-do list, along with some crashing stuff and some league algorithm stuff.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Just dont do anything drastic Smile By the time a patch is approved and released in the appstore most of it will likely have solved itself. I am already seing some improvement in average response time.