Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Fog of War
07-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Fog of War
So I just wanted to clarify a few points with fog.

1. Do units 'teleport' when they move or do they 'walk'?

For example, let's say a unit is in the fog but in order to move to another part of the map (also in the fog), due to obstacles, it will have to go through a part of the map you can see. If the unit has to walk, it should become visible as it goes through the revealed part of the map before it ultimately ends up back in the fog. If the unit teleports through the obstacles however, then it won't ever become visible.

As a reference point, in games like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem where you have to choose a unit's movement path and they visibly walk (drive, etc) to their destination, they WILL be seen for a brief moment before ending back out of vision.

2. If a unit is in your vision but then moves into the fog, do you see which space they move to?

I know that you at least can see which direction they move but I can't remember if you can see the actual space they end up on.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 05:51 AM
RE: Fog of War
This could be a good idea with runners for scanning areas of map. But then again, maps aren't all that big and that little bit of sneakiness is the only thing you have. Also, if they walk, does that mean you cant go through your own units anymore?
07-10-2012, 05:54 AM
(07-10-2012 05:41 AM)Szei Wrote:  So I just wanted to clarify a few points with fog.

1. Do units 'teleport' when they move or do they 'walk'?

For example, let's say a unit is in the fog but in order to move to another part of the map (also in the fog), due to obstacles, it will have to go through a part of the map you can see. If the unit has to walk, it should become visible as it goes through the revealed part of the map before it ultimately ends up back in the fog. If the unit teleports through the obstacles however, then it won't ever become visible.

As a reference point, in games like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem where you have to choose a unit's movement path and they visibly walk (drive, etc) to their destination, they WILL be seen for a brief moment before ending back out of vision.

2. If a unit is in your vision but then moves into the fog, do you see which space they move to?

I know that you at least can see which direction they move but I can't remember if you can see the actual space they end up on.

1. they 'teleport'. Meaning if you start inside FoW and end in FoW the enemy will never see you move.

2. Yes, you'll see the space they land on.
07-10-2012, 05:56 AM
I thought they jumped!
07-10-2012, 06:00 AM (This post was last modified: 07-10-2012 06:00 AM by Szei.)
Yea they do jump, but for the purposes of clarity I said teleport since that is essentially what they do in terms of the movement mechanic.

And apparently yes, if you can see the runner before it moves, you'll see where it ends up even if it is in the fog.