Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OML banking on TTL rather than Outwitters???
04-17-2013, 05:29 AM
RE: OML banking on TTL rather than Outwitters???
I'd be interested in anything OML works on. But I have to say, if they move on from Outwitters entirely it would be a shame. This is because it is the ONLY TBS with a good built in matchmaking and ranking system that I know of. Not just on iOS, but on any console or even PC. Please correct me if I'm wrong because I would love to find some other good competitive TBS games like this, but I just can't. Chess is the only one I can think of with ranking and matchmaking on various websites, but that game is quite unique. It is TBS in its purest form. This has its merits of course and is a beautiful game, but it's more of a complement to the games I'm thinking of than a replacement. I'm thinking of games with an additional layer or two. For example, building units, managing resources, or learning different maps and teams. Games like Advance Wars, Hero Academy, Uniwar, Battle for Wesnoth, etc. As far as I'm aware Outwitters is the only game like this with a working built in matchmaking and rating system (hidden rating and leagues at least even though points are messed up). Many of these games have community run ladders which is nice... but it's not the same. Mostly because with an integrated matchmaking and ranking system you have a larger competitive player base. Without a built in system many people aren't aware of or think it is too much trouble to participate in the fan-made ladder. There is also the issue of competing fan-made ladders which further split the player base as is the case with Battle for Wesnoth.

I should note that Uniwar does have a built in system but it has many flaws. Primarily the fact that you can gain points both in single player and multiplayer as well as from friendlies (at least the last time I checked). The ladder is invalidated by all these ways to abuse the system. Outwitters is the most flawless execution of a built-in matchmaking system that I have seen and really the only one that is acceptable. There are quirks with high ranked players, but besides that it works very well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OML banking on TTL rather than Outwitters??? - ImperialSun - 04-17-2013 05:29 AM