Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Demoted for winning a game?
04-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Demoted for winning a game?
thread title says it all.
I thought this problem was fixed
its happened to me before when I won a game and went from Supertitan to Master, but I understood that cuz that was the time when OML was reranking people because it was too easy to become Supertitan.
however, I'm just curious why I got demoted from Master to Gifted...
(this following might be wrong: I thought when your league switched, you still kept how many points you had but I have almost 200 less points now)
and while I'm ranting...
I lost four games to the hacker "all the names I want are took" guy and I'm pretty sure that was never compensated for...

anyway... I'm upset Sad
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2013, 10:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 10:24 AM by TheGoldenGriffin.)
RE: Demoted for winning a game?
Its because you lost a lot of games before. The game counts the recent games you play and makes a win:loss ratio and if you lose too much, you get demoted.

It works the other way around too. I finally lost a game but i got promoted to gifted right after. I even got ranked higher than my winning opponent too.
And points aren't kept. You lose half of them when get promoted apparently.
If you lost a few games because of the hacker and got demoted from Super Titan twice, then Gifted players should be easy to beat for you and you'll get back to Super Titan soon.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
If it counts recent wins and losses as a ratio, wouldn't it demote on a loss then?
for example...
Let's say it counts last 10 games and dropping below a 1:1 ratio demotes you...
I have 5 wins and 5 losses. Then I win a game.
Now I have 6 wins and 4 losses.
That is how a ratio would work with recent games (or all games for that matter).
Demoting a win and promoting a loss just doesn't make sense.
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
If you keep losing, you will go down in your rankings. When your ranking gets low, the game will start to pair you up with players in the tier below you because the tier might be too hard. If you have five games with players in the league below you and you lose four in a row, and then win one, the game will demote you anyway because the players seem to be at your skill level.

If you win every game you play, you will skyrocket up the ranks. If you win every game, the game will start pairing up you with players in the tier above you even if you didn't get to top 10. Thats because your unbeatable and the tier above you might be at your skill level. So if you win 4 games with players in the tier above you but lose one, the game will promote you anyway because you seem to do fine in that tier.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
04-06-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2013 06:00 PM by awpertunity.)
(04-06-2013 10:28 AM)advakharia95 Wrote:  If it counts recent wins and losses as a ratio, wouldn't it demote on a loss then?
for example...
Let's say it counts last 10 games and dropping below a 1:1 ratio demotes you...
I have 5 wins and 5 losses. Then I win a game.
Now I have 6 wins and 4 losses.
That is how a ratio would work with recent games (or all games for that matter).
Demoting a win and promoting a loss just doesn't make sense.

I don't know if what I'm going to say now is exactly right for this game, but it seems to be the case and is something used for chess training websites:

In addition to your hidden skill rating, is the system's confidence level in your skill rating (that is, how confident the system is that you are at the correct skill level). Win streaks and loss streaks make the confidence level decrease significantly because the game thinks it is matching you with evenly skilled people, but you keep either winning or losing.

As for leagues, I believe the system uses something similar and to avoid lots of league switching, will only place you if the system is confident enough in your skill rating.

In your case, you had 4 losses so it started pairing you against weaker players. If you had continued to lose the system would have continued to match you against weaker players until it can find one you can beat, at which point the confidence level finally increases rather than decreases. In other words, if you kept losing it is possible for you to have gone straight from Master to Clever or even Fluffy, but you have shown that you are not that low by beating whatever player you did.

This is why demoting on a win and promoting on a loss happens more often than you think, and it is not a bug.
04-07-2013, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 04:40 AM by =) Random Task (=.)
I have been promoted after a loss twice. So definitely the last game alone doesn't trigger the promotion or demotion, it is a summary effect of a larger number of recently played games. I assume you can view your hidden rating as a first in first out stack. Maybe a win against a very strong player left the stack and a win against a player with a weaker rating entered the stack. Overall your rating would be lower after the latest win. If this takes you below the demotion threshold this triggers the demotion.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
04-09-2013, 02:48 PM
And I just got promoted back to Masters after I lost a game...
I don't think I'll ever understand.
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
hidden rating is calculated after the game finishes right?
04-09-2013, 03:35 PM
yes, I'm pretty sure
04-19-2013, 07:39 AM
I finished last season ranked 10 in Gifted. I just played my first and only placement match of the new season. Even though it said it was the 1st of 5, after the one and only game I was ranked... 40 in Gifted. I beat my opponent, who was ranked 30 in Gifted, in 6 turns. How the hell am I 40 now?

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yh720Aww

I like big BUTs and I cannot lie...