Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for those who 5-0'd Placements
07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
RE: Question for those who 5-0'd Placements
(07-09-2012 09:30 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  What leagues were your opponents and what did you place in?

Is 5-0 guaranteed Masters or has anyone placed lower depending on their opponents?

The current system, in general, will put you into Gifted if you 5-0 perfectly matched opponents. This happens because you have zero match history to begin with. In the future, if we do seasons this won't be the case. You'll do a placement and be put back into the league you were previously in (even super-titan or master), or if you're on the edge, promoted.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 06:54 AM
I went 5-0 pre reset and was promoted to Master, have not finished my second set of ranking games to know where I end up, but am 3-0 there as well.
07-10-2012, 08:22 AM
5-0, masters.

I've was in masters pre-reset too.
07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
5-0, Gifted (was Super-Titan)

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
(07-10-2012 08:24 AM)Harti Wrote:  5-0, Gifted (was Super-Titan)

Thats ridiculous.
07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
just finished my 5 placement games. went 5-0. Didnt get put into a league? anyone know if it takes a bit to get placed or how it tells you?
07-11-2012, 03:57 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 04:00 PM by CombatEX.)
(07-10-2012 08:24 AM)Harti Wrote:  5-0, Gifted (was Super-Titan)

Wow Harti, who were your opponents? I see that you're in Masters again though. Maybe you've been promoted to Super-Titan by the time I've posted this =P I wouldn't be surprised because there are a lot of Super-Titans now.

I've currently finished 4 of my placements. They were all against Masters players and I've won... but my last game is against a Clever league guy. I'm about to win but I also have a league game against a Super-Titan right now. I'm deliberating if I should hold off winning the Clever game so I can use the Super-Titan match as my last placement (hopefully a win) and maybe get placed in Super-Titan. Probably I'll just get placed in Masters either way though. I doubt one Super-Titan in placement is enough.

I'm wondering if we'll see OML implement something like SC2 Grandmaster. It seemed before the reset that Super-Titan would be kind of like it, but now I've seen a ton of players in Super-Titan. Let's be honest, competing for points is fun, but having a ton of points isn't a real indication of who is the better player. The only real way to tell skill level besides showing MMR is getting a general idea based on League. But if there is no elite league for the few best players (maybe 200 or so like SC2), it is hard to tell who the best players really are. I could be wrong though, maybe Super-Titan is only the top 1-2% of players or so. That would be good enough, but OML hasn't revealed the league percentages so it's hard to tell if Super-Titan is really all that prestigious. It certainly sounds like it, but is it really? If Super-Titan is more like the top 10% then I think there should be another league to separate the best of the best from the players at the bottom of Super-Titan. 10% when you have thousands of players is quite a big range. If Outwitters continues to grow then we could have many tens of thousands in which case being rank ~3000/30000, while good, is a huge difference from being in the top 300.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
07-11-2012, 04:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about placements so much. Once you play enough games I'm sure the algorithm will move you to where you need to be. A 5-game sample isn't really enough data to do that spot-on, so eventually with more data the more games you play, it should find your sweet spot. Pre-reset, I was placed in Gifted and moved up to Masters very quickly, where games started to get challenging. Post-reset I was placed in Super-titan but I'm already slipping down the ranks and am starting to lose more games. More players who were previously ranked higher than me but were unranked are starting to be placed and previous Super-titans who got placed into Gifted or Master are moving back up. So I'll probably go back down to Masters with a few more losses which should be my current 'level'. Just keep playing lots of games and let the system take care of you. The reduction of auto-forfeit to 4 days should help with freeing up that games list Smile
07-11-2012, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 04:50 PM by .orwell..)
31 league wins, no losses, and I'm still in Gifted... To top it off, my original placement (pre-reset) was in Masters! Am I doing something wrong?
07-11-2012, 06:43 PM
4-0ed first placement, then it reset.
Now I am 4-0 but on the brink of losing my fifth match