Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-release Outwitters
07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
RE: Pre-release Outwitters
(07-09-2012 04:59 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  One very late 'experiment' in beta was to reduce the standard Wits/round from 5 to 3 and add 2 Wit Spaces to every map - and yes, that meant 4 Wit spaces per side on the bigger maps. It turned the game into a turf war which was oftentimes won 15 moves before it actually was over due to the shift in Wits per player.

Huh, that's very interesting. I have wondered if there was ever more wit spaces, or what it would be like to have more, whether it would be good or bad. I also noticed in JosueCuervo's Super-Titan match, that he made it a point to acquire the available wit spaces before making his push, reinforcing the idea to me that wit acquisition is indeed very important.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 05:36 PM
(07-09-2012 05:11 PM)The430nsT0rn Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 04:59 PM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  One very late 'experiment' in beta was to reduce the standard Wits/round from 5 to 3 and add 2 Wit Spaces to every map - and yes, that meant 4 Wit spaces per side on the bigger maps. It turned the game into a turf war which was oftentimes won 15 moves before it actually was over due to the shift in Wits per player.

Huh, that's very interesting. I have wondered if there was ever more wit spaces, or what it would be like to have more, whether it would be good or bad. I also noticed in JosueCuervo's Super-Titan match, that he made it a point to acquire the available wit spaces before making his push, reinforcing the idea to me that wit acquisition is indeed very important.

As a long-term strategy, it definitely is. If you're destroying the base 2 turns anyway, conquering the Wit Spaces doesn't do you that much good.
In the above experiment however, losing a Wit Space was the first step to defeat. Once you lose 2 Spaces, it is already very hard to recover - lose all 3 Wit Spaces and you're pretty much done as you only get 3 Wits/turn. The games were very much a territorial push and pull and as you can tell by the release version, the decision was made to go back to 5 basic Wits and 1/2 Wit Spaces on a map.

In early screenshots, you can also see a truly neutral Wit Space in the center of maps. That happened before I joined the beta, but it came up during the experiment. It suffered basically from the same problem - whoever controlled the neutral Wit Space won the game in the long run due to slowly building up more Wits than the other player. Controlling/holding that central Wit Space was everything but optional.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Don't know if it was mentioned but Scrambler also had 2 base HP. After you boosted him he was at 3. No way to set up three Runners to kill him. Since you could not attack it with a Soldier (both having 3 movement), you basically had to either have Mobi or sacrifice a unit and hope the brain stays exposed to the units you set up.

It was horrible. My first question was something alongside "Will the Feedback be up for IAP?".

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user