Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
post your Special Unit balancing ideas here
03-29-2013, 07:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 07:37 AM by bobolynx.)
RE: post your Special Unit balancing ideas here
Gf!sh could you explain that graph? I'm afraid I don't get it :/
What's mp?

REMEMBER! THE ENEMY'S BASE IS DOWN!! *rotates iPad 180˚*
Master League in 1v1
Super-Titan 2v2 arranged with <n1ck> (something like that) we're in 20th place!!!!!!!!!!!
2v2 testing techniques. It's like cheating, but better
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-29-2013, 08:34 AM
well, since I don't plan on being a Super Titan any time soon, I feel the Bombshell is still pretty OP at lower levels. Once one is created and well defended it is incredibly difficult to kill it and usually results in the Scallywags player winning just through attrition. I think limiting its ability to shell (my second idea) would keep it pretty much the same while making it riskier to use like the other specials. At high levels I see not much changing. At lower levels I see S players screwing up their defenses more allowing their opponents to kill their helpless Bombshell.

I based my BS decision the BS is OP on the Bramble changes actually. Bramble V1 vs Scallywags = favores S, Bramble V2 vs Scallywags = favors S even more due to +1 wit for killing thorns, Bramble V3 vs Scallywags = S still at least breaks even. That makes the bombshell the only special that didn't totally roll over to Bramble V3 which I think most of us will agree was an incredibly OP special.

Mobi I still see as pretty balanced, even if Adorables are the best team out there at high levels. To me that just means the other teams are underpowered, especially Feedback (and maybe Veggies, we shall see).

Scrambler does need a buff. I think it should be something that increases its survivability by at least 1 turn, as most of the time you only get 1 use out of the thing before it ides. I think giving it even 1 more HP, though, would be OP. It needs to be frail so it's riskier to use it, but that's why I think letting it scramble at range would be a good buff.

either way, I would prefer to think in terms of lower level play for the balance of special units because there are simply more players at lower levels. What a Super Titan or even a Master can do doesn't really matter when there are 5 times as many players in Gifted and Clever who can't figure out how to beat a single Bombshell

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
03-29-2013, 09:09 AM
(03-29-2013 08:34 AM)ElPared Wrote:  well, since I don't plan on being a Super Titan any time soon, I feel the Bombshell is still pretty OP at lower levels. Once one is created and well defended it is incredibly difficult to kill it and usually results in the Scallywags player winning just through attrition. I think limiting its ability to shell (my second idea) would keep it pretty much the same while making it riskier to use like the other specials. At high levels I see not much changing. At lower levels I see S players screwing up their defenses more allowing their opponents to kill their helpless Bombshell.

I based my BS decision the BS is OP on the Bramble changes actually. Bramble V1 vs Scallywags = favores S, Bramble V2 vs Scallywags = favors S even more due to +1 wit for killing thorns, Bramble V3 vs Scallywags = S still at least breaks even. That makes the bombshell the only special that didn't totally roll over to Bramble V3 which I think most of us will agree was an incredibly OP special.

Mobi I still see as pretty balanced, even if Adorables are the best team out there at high levels. To me that just means the other teams are underpowered, especially Feedback (and maybe Veggies, we shall see).

Scrambler does need a buff. I think it should be something that increases its survivability by at least 1 turn, as most of the time you only get 1 use out of the thing before it ides. I think giving it even 1 more HP, though, would be OP. It needs to be frail so it's riskier to use it, but that's why I think letting it scramble at range would be a good buff.

either way, I would prefer to think in terms of lower level play for the balance of special units because there are simply more players at lower levels. What a Super Titan or even a Master can do doesn't really matter when there are 5 times as many players in Gifted and Clever who can't figure out how to beat a single Bombshell
Replay with example of "unbeatable bombshell", please.
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-2013 12:50 PM by ElPared.)
sorry, don't save all my replays. Next time it happens I'll be sure to let you know
although it I wanted help beating bombshells I'd put it in the "share your replays" thread isntead of cluttering up this one

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
03-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Another bramble idea is have them have 3hp, hit for two or three, but only last til your next turn. Or something like that. Opinions?

Master League in 1v1
Super-Titan 2v2 arranged with <n1ck> (something like that) we're in 20th place!!!!!!!!!!!
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
(03-29-2013 02:12 PM)bobolynx Wrote:  Another bramble idea is have them have 3hp, hit for two or three, but only last til your next turn. Or something like that. Opinions?

...what lasts until next turn?
Rather confusing.

GC: TheGreatAnt
03-29-2013, 04:57 PM
HAve Bramblechildren have a time limit, so it's not a stupid board covering strategy, but is powerful. Idk if it's two weak for just one turn or whatever, but having strong short term bells would be cool I think. I mean, it's kind of like the idea of having a powerful but timed special, except probably not op

Master League in 1v1
03-29-2013, 06:37 PM
So long, I come and see. Thank you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Why would you balance based on the lower skill level? That makes no sense at all for a game, even if the majority are at a lower skill level.

You balance a game based on the strategy, not based on who's playing it.

Additionally, any game a S player turtled you could easily attrition them as Adorables. 2+ mobis and you can whittle down their units and bombshells no problem.

And why would you nerf a special because it's bad vs. one team? (S v V). If you wanted to fix that situation, the proper thing would be to buff the Veggies. Otherwise, you'll then make S bad vs. everybody else, and then what? Keep nerfing everybody? That happens in games and it isn't fun.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" - John 3:16
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-2013 02:02 AM by Ja Karta.)
I've only played about 100 games, but I could probably count on one hand the number of times I've seen a bombshell actually deployed in this game... And I'm almost certain those few cases all occurred at Clever.

Is that... normal?
I always hear about the terror of bombshells and it's easy to believe, but I never see them...
Just curious if that's normal. Do they become a problem higher up in Masters (I just made masters recently)?

(EDIT: Just used OSN and looked through my roughly last ~40 1v1 league games [I don't have anything earlier except some instructive losses I had saved]. Not a single BS was ever spawned in a 1v1 league game that I played.)

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )