Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
03-23-2013, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2013 03:26 AM by GreatGonzales.)
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
Amoffett, another example that might help. I used to be an active member of the Hero Academy community, which had a fan-based league. It was pretty cool, we had some tech-saavy members create an automated match reporting system that was based on the ELO ranking system (also used for chess). I do not think OML is using ELO, as there is some aspect of winning and losing streaks that plays into it, which I assume is a means of ensuring that a player who is borderline between two leagues isn't being promoted and demoted every other game. But probably the Outwitters system shares the same basic principles of ELO.

Anyway, in ELO everyone starts with a score of 1200. If you beat someone who has a higher score, you get more points than if the person you beat had a lower score. Likewise, if you lose to someone with a lower score than you, you would lose more points than if the person had a higher score. Pretty simple. The population was probably about the same size as the 2v2 Outwitters population. There are no leagues, just a ranking based on ELO score. But if we did assign leagues based on ELO score, we would need to keep in mind that there is such a thing as too high of a threshold. In the history of the league, I think only 1-2 people ever crossed the 1600 threshold. So, if we set the bar at 1600, or 1700, that would be too high. In chess, with a much larger population, it's possible to reach a score as high as 2500. Look at this online chess population: http://www.chess-mind.com/en/elo-system This page shows an overview of various chess levels using the ELO system. But if you look at their statistics page, you'll see that their highest rated player is only at the 1900 level. This is because the population of this website is only about 2600 registered users (though, on a second look, only about 200 active users. ELO range likely the result of a high K value, which is part of the formula. And/or, players register, "feed the population", and then leave.). So, if this site were to split the population into 5 leagues, like Outwitters, it would be inappropriate for them to set a threshold of 2000 ELO for the highest league. Suppose also, the greatest chess player in the world, having a ELO in the global community of 2900 let's say, entered into this population. Could this player reach 2900 in this smaller population? Yes, in theory, but probably not for years and years, and he better not lose at all or he'll fall in rank significantly! This is because he would be gaining so little in points with each win as he increases his rank. This is what I mean when I say there are limits to how high a player can go in rank within a given population. In theory, it's true, you can go on indefinitely. But in practice, people lose from time to time, so really there is a limit. Hope that helps.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan - GreatGonzales - 03-23-2013 02:43 AM