Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
03-22-2013, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 03-22-2013 01:18 AM by GreatGonzales.)
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
(03-21-2013 11:54 AM)amoffett Wrote:  I'm not claiming that the 40ish teams are definitely all close together, nor that the threshold was dropped only a little, scooping up all the teams. All I am trying to say is that both of these thing are possible.

I'm not trying to "pick a fight" with you, I'm just trying to point out that the ideal threshold that you're looking for, and that you believe lies somewhere in between the past and present ones, might not exist at all.

As for the skill distributions, if you don't think that they should be equal, and you don't think that they are equal, then why should the percentages of STs in each format be the same?

Sure, it's possible; that's not what you seemed to be saying earlier. But anyway, I don't claim to know where the "ideal threshold" is (by the way, if we were doing our due diligence we would have to properly define what the "ideal" is. But, eh.), but I think it's pretty clear that before it was too high, now it may be too low, and if so logic dictates that a better threshold would be somewhere in the middle. Right?

As for your last question, it's a good one. I've considered it a lot...having my boots on the ground in both 1v1 and 2v2 ST I feel like I have a pretty good lay of the land. From what I have experienced, there's a different shape to the skill landscape between the two: If we were to graph it, I would give 1v1 a generous plateau and then a gradual slope downwards, then the slope becoming more severe perhaps around rank 100. If we graphed 2v2, I would give it a fairly generous plateau, and then a fairly severe slope downward from that. I think the reason for this is that there are fewer 2v2 players in the population, but many 1v1 ST paired up to form very strong teams (ex: burnodrod & mastercaster; p1noyboypj & ..Sir3..; Terenceshiu2005 & awpertunity, etc.), resulting in a more pronounced elite than the population would have otherwise produced. But though the skill distributions for 1v1 and 2v2 are different, it just so happens that roughly the same percentage of players occupy the "plateau" in 1v1 and in 2v2, and so we may as well use the standard set by 1v1 ST.

That being said, as I concluded in the OP, I'm not sold on the idea that we should adjust the threshold again; the numbers are inconclusive, and as CombatEX pointed out there's also the unknown impact of the 2v2 random population to consider. Also, it's an inexact science; maybe it makes sense to leave it the way it is, and let the player population grow into it.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan - GreatGonzales - 03-22-2013 12:45 AM