Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
03-21-2013, 02:23 PM
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan
'Ideal threshold' is an interesting concept which will naturally differ from person to person. The main problem I see here is people over-thinking distributions. You can get technical and try to find large skill gaps where you can divide leagues, but at the end of the day I don't think it's necessary or practical. 'Skill gaps' will open and close over time in different places. Are you going to drastically alter league boundaries continuously to accommodate new skill gaps and the closure of old ones? It works for dividing letter grades on exams because scores are static, but I don't think it's worthwhile here and would be overly complicated. Separating leagues based on percentages is more practical to maintain.

Personally I like that 1v1 ST is <1% and that's all I desire for 2v2 Arranged ST. Basically I just like the thought of an exclusive top league and less than 1 in every 100 players sounds good to me. It's as simple as that and I don't see the need to make things any more complicated. This is why I think we should just come up with a percentage-based distribution we're happy with and use it across the board instead of trying to find skill gaps in each particular ladder (1v1, 2v2 arranged, 2v2 random) and tailoring each distribution to the respective league (only to have to adjust it whenever the skill gaps shift).

On a related note, the more I think about it, the more I feel the current pyramid distribution is harmful to Outwitters in the long run. I know this was already discussed extensively in the '80% of players are in fluffy and clever thread', but I feel it is a pressing enough concern that we shouldn't let it be forgotten. It's discouraging for so many players stuck in the massive low leagues. I've gone over various reason why this current distribution is misleading so I won't reiterate it here (I linked to IMPERIAL's thread above if you do want to read the original discussion). Essentially I would like the overall distribution to be more along the lines of the following:

*snip*

I got carried away and wrote WAY too much and it was rather off-topic. I still think this is a crucial issue so I will make a new thread regarding the matter at a later date (I've already written it but I want to proofread it before I post it and I'm too tired to do that now... time to sleep ^^ I'll probably post it tomorrow)

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Look at 2v2 Super Titan - CombatEX - 03-21-2013 02:23 PM