Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using specials?
07-09-2012, 03:51 AM
Using specials?
Anyone using their specials at all? The few games I have played that have specials, they're usually taken out quickly by a sniper(Im using scallywag team, so the bombardier is my special unit)... It has such low HP even lower than heavy. Maybe up HP of specials? They are very underused
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 04:01 AM
RE: Using specials?
Your Bombshell gains 2 HP with his transformation giving him 3 total - you can even buff that to 4 with a Medic.

Knowing how to use them is the key to Special Units - try them safely in some Friendly Games or Pass'n'Play games against yourself.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 04:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 04:07 AM by metalsquid.)
I always, always have a medic buff my Bomber immediately or it's just too vulnerable to runners. When moving into position, avoid snipers and soldiers because even shelled and buffed, they can close-in on you for 3 dmg and a runner can pick you off. On the other hand, you can sneak around with the bomber and a soldier or runner backing you up, and take out a heavy. Hopefully close to their base and spread some collateral damage. It needs lots of support units and therefore lots of wits to play it offensively, thus takes a long play to set up effectively against experienced opponents. If you're just gonna plonk it in front of base for defense, just keep a medic nearby to buff and soldiers for support or some runners for interference. Personally I like runners because you can keep a lookout further a field and ideally take out anything before they get close enough that you'd need additional protection. Remember: Never move towards a sniper, always shell up and let them come to you so you can bomb them first once they're in range!
07-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Specials are useful once in a while with setup. If your forcing a special into a game where the board isnt right, that alone can be enough to lose. My impression is that bombshell is somewhat easier to get into games than the others.
07-09-2012, 06:13 AM
(07-09-2012 04:06 AM)metalsquid Wrote:  I always, always have a medic buff my Bomber immediately or it's just too vulnerable to runners. When moving into position, avoid snipers and soldiers because even shelled and buffed, they can close-in on you for 3 dmg and a runner can pick you off. On the other hand, you can sneak around with the bomber and a soldier or runner backing you up, and take out a heavy. Hopefully close to their base and spread some collateral damage. It needs lots of support units and therefore lots of wits to play it offensively, thus takes a long play to set up effectively against experienced opponents. If you're just gonna plonk it in front of base for defense, just keep a medic nearby to buff and soldiers for support or some runners for interference. Personally I like runners because you can keep a lookout further a field and ideally take out anything before they get close enough that you'd need additional protection. Remember: Never move towards a sniper, always shell up and let them come to you so you can bomb them first once they're in range!

but if they comea at you, you can only kill one person while they can runner rush you
07-09-2012, 07:17 AM
Bombshell is not appropriate in a runner rush type situation. It is at its best in a formation war with groups of heavier units in play
07-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Exactly what Art said. Special units certainly aren't desperation units to use in situations like when you're runner rushed. Rather, I find myself using them to break stalemates when both sides have 4-5 units on the same side of the board (note the 'same', not total). The bombshell can then be used to break your opponent's formation by entering siege mode near them and forcing them to separate their units lest they take a ton of splash damage. Forcing them to break formation can often put them into a vulnerable position or at least a less favorable one which you can then capitalize on. Alternatively they won't move either because they didn't scout your bombshell or because they don't have enough wits and you'll dish out a ton of damage.
07-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Oh thanks Big Grin
07-09-2012, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 12:37 PM by metalsquid.)
(07-09-2012 06:13 AM)knighthalo123 Wrote:  but if they comea at you, you can only kill one person while they can runner rush you

So the best thing is not to let them know you have one until it's too late for them to react Wink
07-09-2012, 12:52 PM
My personal favorite special is the mobi. I use it to increase the move speed of snipers. If you keep it's health buffed up to three and make sure it's protected you can teleport snipers from spawn and negate their pour move speed. Here's a replay where I used the above strategy (it wasn't a league game or anything, I was just trying out the specials in a random match.)

outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIQCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YrrogDA

Hope this helps Smile