Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fog of war deception tactics
03-12-2013, 05:49 AM
RE: Fog of war deception tactics
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yypf5Agw
Watch Turn 4. I made the replay keep panning and pausing.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2013, 06:02 AM
Wait... If I take my turn on my iPad, it actually shows the panning on an iPod?

THIS IS FREAKING BROKEN!

03-12-2013, 06:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 06:30 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(03-12-2013 06:02 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  Wait... If I take my turn on my iPad, it actually shows the panning on an iPod?

THIS IS FREAKING BROKEN!

This, I do not know. I cannot test since I do not have an ipad.
(03-12-2013 05:34 AM)Erenan Wrote:  I read somewhere that simply tapping on a spawn space and then dismissing the spawn menu without spawning anything will bring up the little sneaky man icon. Is this true?

I hadn't heard this, but it could be true. Basically everything I've written is just what I've been able to figure out by observing the patterns of peoples' actions and how that relates to the appearance of the replay. It's still a black box.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
03-12-2013, 06:40 AM
(03-12-2013 06:29 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
(03-12-2013 06:02 AM)Gf!sh Wrote:  Wait... If I take my turn on my iPad, it actually shows the panning on an iPod?

THIS IS FREAKING BROKEN!

This, I do not know. I cannot test since I do not have an ipad.

I do have one. Let's test that.

03-12-2013, 07:13 AM
(03-12-2013 03:26 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  I think this is a topic that is not often discussed. There are a couple of fog of war deception tactics that I regularly employ. These are outside of the realm of skill, and are merely tricks that anyone can use to disguise your activities beyond your opponent's field of vision.

1. Pausing with purpose

Did you know that the length of time that you wait between actions has an impact on the way your actions appear from your opponent's perspective in the replay? For example, if I were to spawn a soldier and immediately move it from the spawn, this will appear differently than if I were to build a soldier, wait for 30 seconds, and then move the soldier. It's a slight difference - just a matter of a split second/second delay - but this is important to disguising your activities within the fog of war. You should do whatever you can to prevent your opponent from divining your activities, and counting your wits.

Applications: Suppose I plan to build a special on my turn, and boost it, nothing else. This is a small number of actions, and if I took these actions quickly, my opponent would be able to guess that I had probably built a special, or otherwise saved wits. So, your options are:

1. Build a special
2. Boost

Or

1. Build a special
2. Pause
3. Boost

The second option is better. Again, this will have only a slight impact on the replay, but I think this is an important for disguising your activities. Likewise, if you are planning to save wits for building a special on your next turn, but you would like to hide that fact, one way to do this is to take a couple of actions with large pauses in between them. In other words, if you would like your turn to appear longer, pausing between actions will help you convey this.

EDIT: One important thing to note: As far as I can tell, only pausing between taking some wit action causes an impact on the replay. For example, if you use all of your wits and THEN pause before submitting your turn, I think there is no utility gained from this. Likewise, I don't think pausing before your first spent wit has an impact. It only works if you pause in between actions.

2. Camera manipulation

This one will only work with small iOS devices (iphone/ipod, NOT ipad). For fellow small ios devices users out there, you know how the camera moves around during a replay? This is because the replay detects the camera perspective changes of a player and includes this in the replay. Used in conjunction with #1 above, this has some utility for disguising fog of war activities.

Applications: Suppose you would like to hide the fact that you are building an army on the left side of the map, and none/little on the right side of the map. Let's say you want to build a mobi, boost it, warp a unit on the left side of thorn gulley, and merely move a single runner up on the right side. Utilizing the lessons from #1, your options are:

1. Build mobi left
2. Boost mobi
3. Warp unit
4. [Pause]
5. Move runner right

or

1. Build mobi left
2. [Move camera to right]
3. Boost mobi
4. Warp unit
5. [Pause] (not necessary if camera ploy works, but do so in case opponent is using an iPad)
6. Move runner right

The second option is better. You'll notice that I moved the camera right and continued to take actions on left. This is possible because the desired left hexes are still visible even with the camera justified completely to the right. When your opponent views a replay of this, it will appear that all your actions took place on the right side of the map, when in fact you took more actions on the left.

Understanding these two principles, and using them in various combinations, can be quite helpful in confusing your opponent. What I don't understand completely - maybe someone can help clarify this for me - is how this works for iPad users. I have never played on an iPad so I'm not sure if camera manipulation has any impact.

It doesn't. Have an iPad and you can see the whole map at all times. I've never knew that pausing you actions reflects on the replay

derr furbong
1v1 Gifted League

2v2 Clever League with GarbonzoKingdom

You are beautiful so deal with it
03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm not so sure, that pauses in replays are actually a reflection of time to take to make your turn. However I think it has been proven, that clicking on a spawn without actually spawning anything causes a sneak icon to appear.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
03-12-2013, 07:35 AM
(03-12-2013 07:24 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  I'm not so sure, that pauses in replays are actually a reflection of time to take to make your turn. However I think it has been proven, that clicking on a spawn without actually spawning anything causes a sneak icon to appear.

No. Once, my opponent dropped my base hp to 1 and he had 3 runners waiting to attack and i thought real hard to kill those runners. The replay still went smoothly even though it took me like 5 minutes to make a move. But i posted a replay where i kept tapping on units to move and then cancel that move and then pan, repeat, tap spawn, cancel, tap unit, cancel move, pan, and so on and it make the replay keep panning and pausing a bunch of times.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
03-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Replay only pauses if you have a unit selected

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
[quote='TheGoldenGriffin' pid='40128' dateline='1363031383']
outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yypf5Agw
[/]

Nigedad no D:

So you seriously have to wait that long (30 seconds) to get the effect? Does waiting longer increase it? Btw great thread GG (and necrocat)
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2013 08:57 AM by GreatGonzales.)
(03-12-2013 05:49 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  outwitters://viewgame?id=ag5vdXR3aXR0ZXJzZ2FtZXIRCxIIR2FtZVJvb20Yypf5Agw

Yes this is a good example. And this actually proves that I was wrong on one point - namely, that the period between your last wit spend, and submitting your turn is not impacted by pausing/panning. Turn 4 demonstrates that this is not true, there is a significant pause, and the screen pans several times, and then the turn merely ends.
(03-12-2013 07:57 AM)laYahooz Wrote:  So you seriously have to wait that long (30 seconds) to get the effect? Does waiting longer increase it? Btw great thread GG (and necrocat)

I don't think 30 seconds is necessarily needed. But then I don't know the amount of time after which pausing no longer has any effect. All I know is that pausing has some impact on the replay.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.