Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Need advice? - Post your replay!
02-08-2014, 07:50 AM
RE: Need advice? - Post your replay!
Could someone send me a game so they can coach me?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2014, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 01:27 PM by ElPared.)
Maybe I will, but first I'll give you some Cliff's notes on that game:

General:
- save wits
- save wits
- save wits
- You made a lot of bad trades. A runner killing a sniper is a horrible trade for whoever loses the sniper, for example. Avoid bad trades
- Snipers are good only in moderation
- Don't spawn heavies*
- Get vision. Runners are cheap and fast, and one of the most useful units in the game. Take advantage of them. A lot of your early mistakes could have been avoided if you'd been able to see your opponent's units.
- Don't attack units unless you're sure you can kill them**
- Don't attack bases unless you can win that turn or the next one**

Foundry specific:

- Protect your starting sniper (scouting your opponent really helps here)
- Spawning specials is generally a bad idea***
- attacking your opponent's backdoor wit space is usually a waste of wits
- getting your sniper in a good position will usually win you the game here

* You should only spawn heavies in very specific circumstances. For example, on turn 34 of that game was one of the few times you actually should have spawned one. It would have made it a lot more difficult for your opponent to hog your spawn space

** it's usually a waste of wits to attack a unit without killing it, especially if you know it can be healed. The exception is generally when you're being attacked and you can be relatively certain your opponent hasn't brought their medic along with them. The same applies to bases. Unless you know you can win on the same turn you attack it, or the turn right after that, it's a waste of wits and units.

*** Specials are generally hard to defend on Foundry, and are therefore seldom worth the wit investment. Your opponent made good use of their mobi, and there were a few opportunities where you could have spawned a defensive scrambler (if you'd had the wits) and turned things around, so there are a few exceptions.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-08-2014, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2014 01:30 PM by Chemoeum.)
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA1ObiiAgM

So Bomb, let the notes roll by. Personally I don't have any of my own, so we'll just wait for some about what you can do better in this match... and me, too?

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
02-11-2014, 01:00 AM
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA5KjP2QsM

Advice appreciated Smile

GC ID : ShAdOw.* 198
1v1 : Master League
"Your mind is a bit like soup - it has to be stirred up all the time, and then interesting vegetables float to the top and so on, and you have new ideas." -Martyn Poliakoff
02-11-2014, 08:18 AM
(02-11-2014 01:00 AM)Shadow Wrote:  outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA5KjP2QsM

Advice appreciated Smile

Hmm, from a quick skim through, I'd probably say to try and think about how your opponent might respond to your moves will be a helpful tip. A good example is your turn 9, you put your mobi and heavy in an easy to kill situation and he could've killed both of them and could've easily protected his mobi from dying (that was a bad move on his part for not doing this). Hope that little tid bit is helpful and good luck in the future!

Super-Titan 1v1, 2v2 with jesusfuentesh
02-12-2014, 01:25 AM
Ok, thanks!

GC ID : ShAdOw.* 198
1v1 : Master League
"Your mind is a bit like soup - it has to be stirred up all the time, and then interesting vegetables float to the top and so on, and you have new ideas." -Martyn Poliakoff
02-12-2014, 01:04 PM
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICAlNDK_goM

Very bad loss

"for the cake shall only be a lie if you truly believe it is a lie"
02-12-2014, 01:34 PM
The early mobi is what hurt you there. An extra soldier or two and a few more wits really could have let you hold him off. And as has been said many times before it takes more wits to attack than it does to defend, so you would have had advantage and might have pulled off a counter.
02-13-2014, 08:05 AM
Actually, you could have pulled off the early mobi if you had either Boosted your sniper or kept it out of range of Doodat's runner. You mostly lost due to unit disadvantage: Doodat killed too many of your units at once to the point where you couldn't kill enough of his to balance things out.

You have the think very carefully about your moves on Sharkfood island, it is a VERY unforgiving map when it comes to mistakes, both offensive and defensive.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
outwitters://viewgame?id=ahRzfm91dHdpdHRlcnNnYW1lLWhyZHIVCxIIR2FtZVJvb20YgICA1N-EqAoM

Advice welcome