Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
07-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Framerate
The slow framerate of the idle animations are distracting and kind of giving me a headache. There's 2 possible reasons it's like this:

1. My iPad is first gen and can't show frames faster than this.
or
2. This is just how the game is.

If 1, an option to turn off "idle" (character standing in place and bobbing) animations would be greatly appreciated. I'd still like to see the move and attack animations, it's just the idle animations that get disorienting.

If 2, could you turn the framerates up? Right now the frames look more like a slideshow simulating motion, and less like actual motion. Just turning up the framerate should fix this.

I mean this request as respectfully as possible. The game looks beautiful otherwise.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2012, 05:58 PM
RE: Framerate
(07-07-2012 05:43 PM)stevewastaken Wrote:  The slow framerate of the idle animations are distracting and kind of giving me a headache. There's 2 possible reasons it's like this:

1. My iPad is first gen and can't show frames faster than this.
or
2. This is just how the game is.

If 1, an option to turn off "idle" (character standing in place and bobbing) animations would be greatly appreciated. I'd still like to see the move and attack animations, it's just the idle animations that get disorienting.

If 2, could you turn the framerates up? Right now the frames look more like a slideshow simulating motion, and less like actual motion. Just turning up the framerate should fix this.

I mean this request as respectfully as possible. The game looks beautiful otherwise.
But...they bob to the sound of the music :'( Or at least they should when you open it.
07-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Hm, maybe. Doesn't seem worth it.

Am I the only one bothered by this slow frame idle animation?
07-08-2012, 11:21 AM
It never jumped out at me as being too slow. I guess I can see what you mean now that I'm actually looking at the units carefully, but still doesn't bother me at all. I suppose I couldn't really imagine the units bobbing any faster. Would probably just look weird.
07-08-2012, 01:59 PM
I noticed it at first too. After playing a couple games I forgot all about it, though.
I wonder if it was done to save memory and keep the game running smoothly. If that's the case, I am all for it.

I agree that the game is fantastic looking otherwise. I've been wanting to play it for months just because of the screenshots!
07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Could any of you give a unit as an example of this 'slow framerate'? The Adorables Soldier has a rather jerky idle animation - but that has nothing to do with the framerate.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 01:28 AM
I believe this is due to having 3 idle animation characters per unit - low, mid, high, and it cycles between them as their "bob" action. A much greater number of unit renders would be required to have a "smoother" looking character. This would also mean a much greater amount of space taken up by the app.
07-09-2012, 01:31 AM
I think the idle animation is sufficient and fits the art style very well. I see no reason for them to be changed.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
07-09-2012, 10:41 AM
(07-09-2012 01:28 AM)projectantares Wrote:  I believe this is due to having 3 idle animation characters per unit - low, mid, high, and it cycles between them as their "bob" action. A much greater number of unit renders would be required to have a "smoother" looking character. This would also mean a much greater amount of space taken up by the app.

Yeah, after thinking about it more, I think you're right. For the animation to look smoother, there would have to be at least 1 more image to achieve a cleaner looking animation. Just speeding it up wouldn't fix it.

I'd still just love the option to turn the idle animation off entirely. The jerkyness of it reminds me of when games are low on memory and about to crash.