Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Those Days
02-26-2013, 09:14 AM
RE: Those Days
I've found it helps a bit to have both friendly and league games going at the same time. Now and then I get the urge to experiment with some new stuff, doing that in friendlies (and loosing) gets me more concentrated in the league games.

I also do all of the above mentioned mistakes, except for the daughter thing! Part of it is just skill I think. Being good in Outwitters includes learning not to undeploy the bombshell by mistake etc. My most common issue is that I see one or two moves that are obvious for a round and I do them first as it helps me visualize the rest of the turn better. Only to find out that the obvious moves weren't obvious at all and a better move was possible..

But I have also done some really stupid stuff:
* Thinking a soldier can one-shot a boosted mobi
* Forgetting to take the wit space
* Spawning a unit at the wrong spawn point so I end up with two medics at the same place

I don't even understand how it is possible for me to do these things. Maybe the only comfort is that everyone else does stupid stuff as well?

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Whenever I make a stupid mistake in one game it tends to make me play terrible in the next because all I can think about is the loss before and how easily I could have won. Yeah it just happened to me.

GC: GoHeat3
Super-Titan

[Image: sig.png]
02-26-2013, 09:32 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2013 09:45 AM by Ja Karta.)
I keep thinking (for whatever reason) that a soldier and a runner will kill a boosted soldier.

Twice recently (and more in the past) I have a heavy/sniper, runner, and two soldiers set to kill two boosted soldiers... and then I attack incorrectly.
Quickly losing the resulting exchange...

Hasn't cost me a league game yet (that I can recall), but man it's frustrating when you have the higher level strategy working for you and you blunder the tactical portion.
:/

Smile

For what it's worth OP, those 'brain stalls' are part of why I play the game.
Things like forgetting that my base was at 4hp and not adjusting my defense or that there was a sniper in the FoW.
They're annoying when they happen. But they help me call attention to poor cogntive habits. I've only been playing (and moderately) for a few weeks and the number of *terrible* blunders I make is significantly reduced.
Still a long way to go. But I like to think that the game is making my brain a better organ. Smile

PS: To +1 Alvendor, I went from having really irregular quality games to a (thus far continuing) ~20 league game win streak once I started playing not more than one or two league games at a time and playing a number of friendlies instead. Friendlies, besides letting you try new strats let you play more loosley. (Play what feels right, as opposed to calculating everything.) Personally, I sometimes just want to get a game in and friendlies are good for that.

If you don't have any mates to do friendlies with just ask someone you had a good league match with. Everyone I've asked has been happy to.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-26-2013, 09:59 PM
Two recent mistakes of mine:
In a 2v2 game, my base what at 1 health, but we had a huge unit advantage. My heavy is surrounded by 3 runners, 1 green who will go next turn, and 2 blue. I kill one of the blues, totally ignoring the fact that we will lose next turn. We lose next turn

In a tournament game against harti!, I had five wits left and a soldier 2 spaces away from my spawn. I spawn a heavy, move it, and then suddenly realize I have no more wits. *Facepalm*
02-26-2013, 10:21 PM
I once forgot that my base was at 3 hp, thinking I could win a base race.

02-26-2013, 11:27 PM
I usually click a selected unit again to un-select them, and almost always uproot my bramble the same way.....but I bet it freaks the other player out for a brief second, or they get vision of my entire base and think I'm an idiot.

If you are gonna be dumb...you had better be tough.

GC: jimbo2shady
~Gifted League~ Standing Eyes Div.
[Image: sealbanner700.jpg]
02-27-2013, 01:01 AM
(02-26-2013 09:59 PM)harvarnold Wrote:  Two recent mistakes of mine:
In a 2v2 game, my base what at 1 health, but we had a huge unit advantage. My heavy is surrounded by 3 runners, 1 green who will go next turn, and 2 blue. I kill one of the blues, totally ignoring the fact that we will lose next turn. We lose next turn

In a tournament game against harti!, I had five wits left and a soldier 2 spaces away from my spawn. I spawn a heavy, move it, and then suddenly realize I have no more wits. *Facepalm*

Facepalm??
02-27-2013, 01:05 AM
(02-26-2013 10:21 PM)Gfich Wrote:  I once forgot that my base was at 3 hp, thinking I could win a base race.

This happens to me but in a slightly different way. In long games (50 turns) I will sometimes forget that my base had been hit by a runner at the beginning of the game. Since 4hp bases don't flash much, I will not notice and will let a runner and mobi sniper through then lose the game. This most commonly happens on TG, but recently happened to me on CCM in a 2v2 game.

1v1 Super-Titan

2v2 Master League with dakdak97 and boyoxneder

gc:connor3491
02-27-2013, 01:24 AM
(02-27-2013 01:01 AM)Willythewile Wrote:  
(02-26-2013 09:59 PM)harvarnold Wrote:  Two recent mistakes of mine:

Facepalm??

It's when you put your hand on your head because you realise that what you did is stupid, or simply when you see someone being dumb Smile never been on 9gag?

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
02-27-2013, 03:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2013 03:03 AM by joelduque.)
What happens to you when you have a bad day?
I tend to make more mistakes.
What do you do when you're having a bad day?
I relax to destress. Hopefully, it would become better.
How do you avoid making mistakes in general?
I study the correct way of doing things and focus on doing them.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.