Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1.5 Average
Blackjack Split?
02-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Blackjack Split?
Just a quick idea about an in game option for friendlies where, at a critical juncture in the game, you can split the game into 2. Alternate universe type thingmagig. So you end up with 2 games at the same point (rather than trying to recreate the same board from scratch.) but then can try out 2 different strategies. It may help to get rid of a few of those "what if...."s. Good idea? Or just more guff?

Everything Changes
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: Blackjack Split?
I'd love to be able to do that. But it's a bit of a niche feature I'd imagine, so I doubt it will ever be priority. (Unless, A&A set up a nice outsourcing model for the programming. Which I fully endorse actually. Outwitters would be a great FB game; I could then not only play with people who have iphones and they'd have a much larger potential market for the same content.)

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-21-2013, 10:35 PM
I agree that it will never likely appear. Just a stream of consciousness as I was umming and erring over a move in a recent game.

But to take this idea that will never happen one step further I think it shouldn't be limited to friendlies. If the feature was a "Clone" button which copied any game, either league or friendly, and turned the copy into a friendly ( obviously you would have to be on chatting terms with your opponent - which, as a spin off, would encourage a bit more bonhomie in games which I feel is sadly lacking. But I digress, possibly my next thread is taking shape Tongue) ) to be played whenever.

The only problem I foresee is not having enough slots for all the friendlies you'd create. If you're anything like me I'd want to create one just about every turn Big Grin

Everything Changes
02-21-2013, 11:57 PM
If you'd create a copy of the game, you can spy on your opponent's units anytime.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
02-22-2013, 12:22 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 12:25 AM by phineas94.)
(02-21-2013 11:57 PM)Harti Wrote:  If you'd create a copy of the game, you can spy on your opponent's units anytime.

You would only play the "friendly" clone after the real game had finished but yes you would have extra knowledge of your opponents game when you come to it but hey, it's a friendly Big Grin I think this is what you mean anyhow

(02-21-2013 11:59 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  (Unless, A&A set up a nice outsourcing model for the programming. Which I fully endorse actually. Outwitters would be a great FB game; I could then not only play with people who have iphones and they'd have a much larger potential market for the same content.)

I'm not a very computer savvy person so don't really understand this, I'm not even on Facebook! Please don't feel the need to explain it to me if you think it would be too much for my small brain Smile

Everything Changes
02-22-2013, 12:55 AM
Trying out different strategies in one give situation sounds interesting, but implementing it seems problematic. Undecided

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
02-22-2013, 04:33 AM
(02-22-2013 12:55 AM)Eijolend Wrote:  but implementing it seems problematic. Undecided

This thread was started with a complete disregard for any implementation problems Rolleyes I just wondered where it would go. I'm not sure if Harti's response has picked up a flaw in my idea or if they have misunderstood slightly.

But to carry on with my babble, I'm now having thoughts about a "system restore" type set up where the option to save your game is given every turn. You can then revisit those saved points (listed by turn) either in a friendly or possibly as , dare I mention it, an undo option in an actual league game! Obviously such an option would have to have the consent of both players and I don't imagine it being used often, if at all - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't allow it except for possibly someone making a blatant mistake when applying a killing blow to a base. Anyhow, options are always good.

It does read as though it would be a fairly messy system quite possibly detrimental to game play, but as it's never going to happen ..............Big Grin

Everything Changes
02-22-2013, 05:17 AM
Seems similar to the new resume from replay feature that was implemented to Starcraft a few days ago. This is a little different since you want to split an ongoing game. I don't think that's worth adding though. If you want to try new strategies, just play more games. A resume from replay would be nice though (but again, not worth the time at the moment).

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
02-22-2013, 05:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 06:49 AM by phineas94.)
(02-22-2013 05:17 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  A resume from replay would be nice though (but again, not worth the time at the moment).

Ignorant to most things computer how does "resume from replay" work?
*edit* I googled it and yes the "Take Command" feature is close to what I was thinking abut. Maybe I should be a games developer Smile

(02-22-2013 05:17 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  If you want to try new strategies, just play more games.

The idea wasn't to try out total game strategies as such but more to see how things might have panned out at a pivotal moment, you know those moves where you feel all things hinge. Should I kill this or that, move here or there etc.

Everything Changes
02-22-2013, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 07:14 AM by Ja Karta.)
(02-22-2013 12:22 AM)phineas94 Wrote:  
(02-21-2013 11:59 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  (Unless, A&A set up a nice outsourcing model for the programming. Which I fully endorse actually. Outwitters would be a great FB game; I could then not only play with people who have iphones and they'd have a much larger potential market for the same content.)

I'm not a very computer savvy person so don't really understand this, I'm not even on Facebook! Please don't feel the need to explain it to me if you think it would be too much for my small brain Smile

Simple: Pay other programmers to do the programming.
There are, for example, companies in India that will do contract programming on the cheap.

If time becomes a bottleneck then paying others to write programs can be very lucrative, especially if it allows you to rapidly expand your playerbase or increase conversion (players that start paying). It can also be effectively cheaper if you aren't skilled at a particular kind of programming.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )