Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Need Short Rounds
07-09-2012, 04:29 AM
RE: Need Short Rounds
An entire new 'lightning round' mode could serve for people who know they will be able to devote time now to a full game, but the asynchronous play serves very well- again, except for completely absent players. I mean, I'm not always good for back to back turns, and I don't expect everyone else to be. I really really like the casual, on-paper idea of this. But I too have a roster full of mostly dead games. I want to play, regardless, but here is what really gets me-
I lose ranks just sitting here. By not winning, I'm not making points. While everyone else around me can play, finish, and climb. I'm stuck. So I could quit out, but then I lose points too. So what do I do?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 04:39 AM
@The430nsT0rn: you can create up to 20 games. So my suggestion in your situation is: create more games ;-)

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 04:42 AM
I did, I'm max'd. Sad I got paired with a lot of people who aren't playing anymore lol
07-09-2012, 04:45 AM
(07-09-2012 04:42 AM)The430nsT0rn Wrote:  I did, I'm max'd. Sad I got paired with a lot of people who aren't playing anymore lol

I can sympathize - I got 11 games whose last turn was more than a day ago.

Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
07-09-2012, 04:48 AM
The thing is your ranking doesn't matter. Only your league really speaks to your skill level. As we have seen, Harti has WAY more points than josue but josue was the first to get promoted to supertitan because his real rating (hidden rating) is not reflected in points. Don't worry about your rank. But yes, the fact that you cant play the game is annoying... I hope some kind of fix is in the works for this
07-09-2012, 04:54 AM
I really think lowering the auto-forfeit time to 3 days is a good idea - Outwitters is still fresh and exciting, if you don't come back in 3 days, chances are you won't come back at all. Waiting a whole week penalizes those players that want to play by those who tried it and decided it was not for them.

07-09-2012, 04:55 AM
Aahh. I mean, it's not a huge deal to me. I'd like to climb the ranks, if my skill level allows. And if I lose, well that's on me. But it just gets me a little bit inside when I worked hard to say, bring myself up to #15 after a match, then get to sit there while all my other time investments do nothing but push me slowly back downward, #20, 25, lower. That one game slot free now is great and all, but it's still a fresh investment in time, and it's only one. Say, even if that new person plays real quick, it usually only serves to maintain my current rank. Sometimes not even that. I'm not complaining too much, like I'm some cutthroat power gamer looking to unseat JosueCuervo in super-Titan, like that's possible. Just hate seeing my hard work fall apart through no fault of my own.
07-09-2012, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 08:13 AM by k.dot.)
Addicted to this game, really good (except for this one problem), I made this account just so I could make this point and it seems that a few other people feel the same way.

There seems to be two types of people that play this, some people that want to make a few turns per day and others that want to sit down and play through a whole game. I fall in the latter category.

To accommodate both types of player the sensible idea would be to have a 'normal mode' that matches the player with another person that prefers the current type of time limit, and a 'fast mode' that matches people that want a faster turn around on games.

I think a time limit of 1 hour on the fast mode would be appropriate, I enjoy this game being one that takes time for thought. I also enjoy having a few games open at a time, which could be preserved with an hour time limit and wouldn't result in what I often experience at the moment: all 20 games waiting for the opponent

I've seen a few people's posts requesting a 60 second time limit or something similar, I think that goes too far in the other direction. I want to be able to grab a drink or accept a phone call without losing (we are playing on phones after all!), therefore I'd have to say that at least half an hour per turn must be kept otherwise the whole dynamic of the game would change.
I hope something like this can be implemented, the frustration of being locked out is the only reason I'd say this game is "really good" and not "excellent".
07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
The problem with a 1 hour limit though is in a game that drags on for 20-30 turns there is a possibility you'll run into the night even if you start in the early morning and will have to forfeit the game or not sleep =P
07-09-2012, 08:33 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 08:36 AM by k.dot.)
Hmm. Good point. The time limit could be shorter, or there could be a sleep mode where each party has to accept the sleep. I'm not sure exactly how it'd work but 7 days is far too long for me and 60 seconds would be too short too. I don't want to be locked out because no one is taking their turn, then again I don't want to lose because I go to the toilet or accept a call!
I can't play right now because all my opponents aren't taking their turn... :-\