Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Game Mechanic: Limit Number of Spawns
02-21-2013, 12:03 PM
RE: Game Mechanic: Limit Number of Spawns
(02-21-2013 08:09 AM)connor34911 Wrote:  Its a decent but it could actually encourage turtling. Say I get a unit advantage at the beginning of the game then decide that instead of attacking, I just bleed out my opponent by letting the spawns time out while picking a few units off at a time. When I finally engage I have a big advantage.

Aye.
It's hard to legislate aggression.
They did this in Olympic judo, for example. What it tends to lead to is people exploiting rules that don't actually involve fighting. (in judo a lot of forced stalling to get the opp to rack up penalties for instance)

Similarly, forcing someone to act (by way spawn limit for required movement, etc.) often makes conservative strategies much better once any advantage is gained. Because the opponent who's behind is forced to continue with existing momentum.

Not that the idea shouldn't be considered. But even in the abstract, it's a very difficult problem. Just adding. Wink

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-21-2013, 12:45 PM
The +1 wit per kill was a game mechanic change that encouraged aggression.
02-21-2013, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 02-21-2013 01:50 PM by Ja Karta.)
(02-21-2013 12:45 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  The +1 wit per kill was a game mechanic change that encouraged aggression.

Right. Perhaps I should re-word.
It's very difficult to legislate aggression 'directly'.
The "+1 wit" is not obviously a plus to aggressive nor defensive play. (I went through the archives a bit and people argue quite vigorously both ways, with people assuming it would favor turtles by a fair margin at the beginning.)

Obviously rules impact play. It's just not always so simple. Wink

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Yes, it's hard to force aggression with specific rules. You can only change the general level of aggression.
02-21-2013, 02:21 PM
I find that turtling only happens when I allow it to happen. In order for my opponent to turtle, I have to be turtling myself. Force the action, kids!
02-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I don't really like it... it leads to usage of higher costing units, since once spawns are limited runners will be a waste, and most of us would be making random pokes into the fog of war. You think it would stop bombshells? Worry about mobis. They're famous for keeping pressure on you by picking off a unit every turn and tp'ing their own units back to safety. Limited spawns would only buff that strategy even more.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
02-22-2013, 01:14 AM (This post was last modified: 02-22-2013 01:28 AM by John3:16.)
It also heavily favors mobi and bombshell usage, who can damage and kill units without retaliation.

Oops..daHsu already mentioned mobi's

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" - John 3:16