I calculate a little and make very rough estimates
Psh I skip the replay Tongue
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How much do you calculate?
02-02-2013, 01:15 AM
RE: How much do you calculate?
(02-01-2013 02:08 PM)1ucky Wrote:  Just wondering, you know how that weird FOW guy shows up on the top right when your opponent moves in fog? With that info, can you tell how many times he's moved?

You can't tell how many times, but the fact that you can tell a move was made at all can be useful. For example in cases where you've seen all his units move but then that icon appears, you can infer a unit was spawned. Or if you know he spawned a unit and moved his units, then you can tell a medic healed, and so on.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2013, 01:48 AM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2013 01:50 AM by Ja Karta.)
(02-01-2013 01:05 PM)Uvafan173 Wrote:  I know I probably shouldn't, but usually I get bored after watching like one move of the replay and skip the rest... I assume I'll have to stop doing this if I ever want to advance to master.

yeahhhh...
I do that a lot.
The replays are *stupidly* slow.
There should be an option to show last known positions of units in the fog of war and whether they moved (already clear visual indicators for that). That's not 100% of information you can get from the replay (all that's really left is barrier spawning), but it would make the game play soooo much faster and be so much more fun!

I often do watch replays, but it's just busy work.
They might as well send me turns in morse code and force me to decode it before playing. There's no reason not to have an option to just show last known positions. [I WOULD PAY FOR IT]

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
02-02-2013, 02:46 PM
Agreed, the replays are very slow. Wish there was an extra fast forward button that would skip to the next "move", skipping the animation.

I usually don't calculate much, unless my opponent starts pissing me off/playing very well, at which point I decide to win no matter what... then I start counting.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
02-02-2013, 03:20 PM
I calculate to my ability. On one spawn maps I usually can know exactly how many wits my opponent has spent and always know their unit count.

That's why I love glitch!
I can't calculate shit on bigger maps so I just predict.
In 2v2 I don't have to calculate as much since its more easy to see what your opponents have. Hard to explain why.
02-02-2013, 07:07 PM
(02-02-2013 01:48 AM)Ja Karta Wrote:  
(02-01-2013 01:05 PM)Uvafan173 Wrote:  I know I probably shouldn't, but usually I get bored after watching like one move of the replay and skip the rest... I assume I'll have to stop doing this if I ever want to advance to master.

yeahhhh...
I do that a lot.
The replays are *stupidly* slow.
There should be an option to show last known positions of units in the fog of war and whether they moved (already clear visual indicators for that). That's not 100% of information you can get from the replay (all that's really left is barrier spawning), but it would make the game play soooo much faster and be so much more fun!

I often do watch replays, but it's just busy work.
They might as well send me turns in morse code and force me to decode it before playing. There's no reason not to have an option to just show last known positions. [I WOULD PAY FOR IT]

This is a good idea, there should be ghosts of last known positions in the FOW so we don't have to keep rewatching replays to see where a unit was

I also second the "next move" button for replays. It's annoying to have to watch the whole thing just to see the one thing you forgot.

As for calculating, I do it sometimes when I'm pushing an assault and I know my opp is strapped for wits. I end up playing a lot of Feedback players, so it's mostly to deduce if they'll have enough to make a Scrambler and turn my attack against me.

Otherwie I mostly go on rough estimates and my own intuition

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-02-2013, 09:22 PM
^How would they implement that? It would just clog up the playing field, and in general be very confusing. A newer player might see the ghost, move next to it, and think there was a bug when no unit was there. Besides, it's part of your job to keep track of units, the game shouldn't have to do it for you. Also, it would make to game pay to win, which wouldn't look good for Outwitters as a free to play game.
02-03-2013, 04:03 AM
I think the ghost thing could be a good idea. I had thought about it before and came to the same conclusion that harvarnold; it would be very difficult to implement. Even if the unit had moved the previous turn, a mobi could potentially move the unit afterwards.

I still feel like there could be someway to lessen the busy work of watching replays though. Just have to think about it more xp

And thanks combatex, that's what I was wondering.
02-03-2013, 04:26 AM
I write detailed reports with graphs and charts about every game I play. As I go, I write on my iPad's screen with a felt tip pen and buy a new iPad for each turn, so that I have a physical record of my progress.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-03-2013, 06:54 AM
(02-02-2013 09:22 PM)harvarnold Wrote:  ^How would they implement that? It would just clog up the playing field, and in general be very confusing. A newer player might see the ghost, move next to it, and think there was a bug when no unit was there. Besides, it's part of your job to keep track of units, the game shouldn't have to do it for you. Also, it would make to game pay to win, which wouldn't look good for Outwitters as a free to play game.

I think it should be a free feature actually, as should the move by move skip. And it works for every other Strategy game out there, mostly RTS but could still work here. If it would confuse new players, just add a tip about it in the tutorial.

Besides, Outwitters is supposed to be designed for the casual gamer, and casual gamers don't want to have to take notes to figure out where enemies might be.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
02-03-2013, 07:01 AM
This game will get complicated if you add too much stuff. It isn't that hard to watch a replay of 1 turn.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…