Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Four Suggestions for Adam and Alex
01-30-2013, 10:41 AM
RE: Four Suggestions for Adam and Alex
(01-30-2013 08:49 AM)Harti Wrote:  I like your second and the last suggestion.

About the live game mode... yeah I'm not sure. I think that games might still take too long this way and I never have the feeling that I'd have a period of 3*20 (my turns) + 30*19 (enemy turns, worst case) minutes (= 10.5 hours) undisrupted time available.
I'd love to see something like that sometime along the way though, maybe that you do five turns in a row, then can but don't have to pause the game for a day. But I feel there's no real good way to implement such a thing. You could lower the base health but that'd throw over the complete strategy of the game and everybody would go for Mobi snipers maybe.

Yeah, you're right on the prolonged playing period in such a mode. It would be difficult, outside of the current 4 day turn modes, to provide a time-based turn mode which allows players to play through their turns in rapid succession without resorting to time-boxing them for a time period (and letting them have a real-life outside of that period). Perhaps there's another moderated technique which can help the players synchronize their game time so they're at their devices at the same time.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-30-2013, 10:51 AM
(01-30-2013 08:52 AM)EkoFox Wrote:  
(01-30-2013 08:06 AM)Huperniketes Wrote:  Dear Adam and Alex,
3. Recolor Red Scallywag's Sniper so it looks, y'know, red. I thought it was my opponent's!

Suggestion: Make sure it's obvious which team each unit belongs to.
I like your other suggestions, but this one doesn't really seem grounded. If you look at the sniper's eye, it is very clearly the color of your team. While the sniper's tentacles are blue, its head and hat are team-colored.

It's hard to accept that their team assignment is obvious if it requires you to point out the distinguishing features.

For a unit whose teammates's dominant visual color is red(-dish), blue isn't the way to indicate alliance. Also, think in terms of tonal quality: warm colors for one team, cool colors for the opposition. It's important to provide visual cues which immediately echo one team while constrasting the other in a way helpful for those with and without visual disabilities.

A unit whose eye is red just might be a red-eyed character. Not an oddity for a monster/combat strategy game.
01-30-2013, 10:59 AM
I still don't get what you're talking about. The red team sniper is red and the blue team sniper is blue

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
01-30-2013, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-30-2013 11:04 AM by TheGreatErenan.)
RE: Speed games:

This is essentially a very different mode of playing Outwitters. At higher levels of play, players deliberate on a single turn for a while. Sometimes I look at a game's position, and then think about it all day while at work, working out potential strategies in my head, and then go back to it when I get home. When you really get down to it, this is often a part of how Outwitters works as a game. Speed Outwitters would be comparable to Speed Chess. It forces you to approach playing the game very differently and would reward players with the ability to think through their moves fairly well but very quickly rather than players with the ability to think through their moves very well but not so quickly. I like CombatEX's idea of having a game clock for each player rather than a turn clock, but there's no way to know what will work well until OML actually implements it and gives it to their beta testers.

RE: Scallywags sniper team color issue

I've never had a problem with this, and as far as I know no one else has complained about it until now.

There is potentially a colorblindness issue, but I would expect that to be between the red, green, and yellow teams, not between red and blue.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Maybe the four squares in 2v2 that shows whose turn it is and the team pack they're using should be tappable and make the team's units do that thing that the bases do when its hp gets low to who ever team they tap on to help the color blind players.

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
01-30-2013, 02:24 PM
what if once you open the game (IE a game against one or more opponents, after you watch/skip the replay, not the game itself) you have a time limit of 45 minutes to complete the turn? 30 minutes is too short IMO.

I also think they should add a poke/nudge/remind button next to games that have been inactive for longer than 12 hours so you can bug your opponent(s) if they're taking to long. Worked for Words with Friends

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
01-30-2013, 04:53 PM
(01-30-2013 10:59 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  I still don't get what you're talking about. The red team sniper is red and the blue team sniper is blue

So ignore my suggestion.

However, the red team's sniper isn't red. The runner is. The medic is. The soldier is. And the heavy is. But the sniper isn't.

He's blue. He might have a red hat and eye, but the red team's sniper is blue. So is the blue team's. And the green team's. And the yellow team's. He doesn't look like an ally standing next to his teammates.
01-30-2013, 05:18 PM
We see what we want to see.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
01-30-2013, 06:05 PM
If you click my sig it'll show you how to fix the color issue with the snipers

[Image: remur.gif]

Click it. You know you want to.
01-30-2013, 07:48 PM
I seccond the suggestion no. 1 with a 4 or5 minute turn time as an optional game style. If exceeded you forfeit the turn and not the game. This works very well with other turn based strategy games like http://www.takto.de. Usually games take 20 to 30 turns to be finished. Thats about 1.5 to 2 hours if the players use up the max time availavle... In real life turns will be submitted quicker as you wont wait to the last second. This should be just be an option!

Aother suggestion is to drop the points system and display the true player strength rating.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.