Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inactivity
02-17-2014, 09:53 AM
RE: Inactivity
(02-17-2014 07:52 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 05:19 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  
(07-07-2012 04:29 AM)Harti Wrote:  From a programmer's perspective it's like horror to implement a chess clock now. I think we should just go with a lower inactivity limit instead of thinking of highly complex concepts. Smile

It's not that hard to implement something like a chess clock. You only need like what, 1 or 2 variables? One to keep track of time left, and another one to keep track of your turn.

Plus everything else that needs to be implemented with that, plus reworking the mechanics that will be affected, etc. In a complex system, adding even "1 or 2 variables" can require a lot of work depending on what they affect. Not even including UI changes..

Well, right now, they have one variable that is constantly being subtracted from, and starts at 7 days. When the variable hits 0, it engages a "game ended" procedure. Instead, the could have a variable for each of the players that all start at 7 days, and another variable that constantly switches from, say, 0 to 1 to keep track of the turn. When it is at 0, it subtracts time from one side. When it is at 1, it subtracts from the other side. It keeps doing this until one side hits 0, and THEN engages the procedure. Really, not much is affected, and like I said, only 1 or 2 variables.

"for the cake shall only be a lie if you truly believe it is a lie"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 10:06 AM
Uber' s the Veggienaut that did it.

I am GameCenter's Chemoeum.

RIP, DL banner.

Explosions.

Go here!
02-17-2014, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-17-2014 12:04 PM by spacechef.)
(02-17-2014 09:53 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 07:52 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(02-17-2014 05:19 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  
(07-07-2012 04:29 AM)Harti Wrote:  From a programmer's perspective it's like horror to implement a chess clock now. I think we should just go with a lower inactivity limit instead of thinking of highly complex concepts. Smile

It's not that hard to implement something like a chess clock. You only need like what, 1 or 2 variables? One to keep track of time left, and another one to keep track of your turn.

Plus everything else that needs to be implemented with that, plus reworking the mechanics that will be affected, etc. In a complex system, adding even "1 or 2 variables" can require a lot of work depending on what they affect. Not even including UI changes..

Well, right now, they have one variable that is constantly being subtracted from, and starts at 7 days. When the variable hits 0, it engages a "game ended" procedure. Instead, the could have a variable for each of the players that all start at 7 days, and another variable that constantly switches from, say, 0 to 1 to keep track of the turn. When it is at 0, it subtracts time from one side. When it is at 1, it subtracts from the other side. It keeps doing this until one side hits 0, and THEN engages the procedure. Really, not much is affected, and like I said, only 1 or 2 variables.

Also, the timeout limit is no longer 7 days, it's 4 days. In the end, any changes made need to be easy, and/of make financial sense. Us Outwitters lovers seem to be a rare breed.

Live your life as more than plastic.
02-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Meh, I like the 4-day timeout. Gives me some time to work with when I'm on an exam binge, or working 30+ hours alongside class. Plus Outwitters refuses to load my games on the campus wifi Sad

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
02-18-2014, 02:52 AM
People apparently used to be so active. Look, 25 posts on the same day!

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
02-18-2014, 04:39 AM
My shovel broke, but it's a job well done

02-18-2014, 04:56 AM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2014 05:37 AM by .Memories..)
I was implying that it would be a lot of work (not trivial), not that it would be impossible. Besides, you nor I, really knows how it's programmed.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
02-18-2014, 05:46 AM
(02-18-2014 04:56 AM).Memories. Wrote:  I was implying that it would be a lot of work (not trivial), not that it would be impossible. Besides, you nor I, really knows how it's programmed.

use iFile to view the game code, and all the files within.

02-18-2014, 07:50 AM
(02-18-2014 05:46 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  
(02-18-2014 04:56 AM).Memories. Wrote:  I was implying that it would be a lot of work (not trivial), not that it would be impossible. Besides, you nor I, really knows how it's programmed.

The raccoon doesn't mess around.

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
02-18-2014, 07:57 AM
(02-18-2014 05:46 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  

Please stop picking and choosing which parts of my posts you want to argue with..

Like I said before, I know it's not impossible. It just doesn't make sense for OML to do at this time.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]