Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inactivity
07-07-2012, 05:43 AM
RE: Inactivity
(07-07-2012 05:37 AM)MrUseless Wrote:  3-4 days is far too short. Normally that's not a problem, but most people vacation for 5-7 days, and there is very little internet access where I normally go to get away (that's the point of a vacation, right?)
Speaking of vacations, it would be a great feature if there were some way to implement a Hold. I envision this as some kind of hold on all your games, they don't expire for an extended period (say 14 or 21 days), but you cannot make any moves or start any new games. To keep people from abusing it, you only activate a vacation hold once every 30 or 60 days.

The only rebuttle I have is don't start a ranked game if you're going to go on vacation and not play.

As for the hold it would have to be something enabled by both players, other wise it'd become abuseable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2012, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 05:52 AM by Harti.)
Which is why I introduced the vacation flag concept. This could actually be quite a feasible solution, provided it's only available to players who already finished their placement matches and only every three months or so.

But I rather agree with Malphes here to be frank.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
07-07-2012, 06:17 AM
(07-07-2012 05:34 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  I think it can be a lot simpler than that: if any game is older than 3 days, you MUST move in your oldest game before moving in any other game. That would allow you to keep the 7 day deadline, but really minimize strategic slowdowns.

Depending on how hard this is to implement, it sounds like a good fix for active abusers. If they want to keep playing league, they have to play all their league games and not just the ones they're doing well in.
07-07-2012, 07:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 07:13 AM by Mad Missile Man.)
All this talk about vacations seems silly to me. If you're going somewhere without internet access, are a few games of Outwitters really a huge concern? And if they are, you probably know better than to start ranked games before you leave. And if you're leaving on really short notice, you probably have better things to worry about. Beyond that, we're talking about outliers and edge cases here.

So instead of adopting a policy that supports people who aren't interested in picking up the game for weeks and months at a time, why not implement rules that support those who are actually interesting in playing. These are your paying customers, people! I'd much rather see the turn limit lowered to 24 hours for ranked, and raised to two or three weeks for friendly.
07-07-2012, 07:52 AM
(07-07-2012 07:12 AM)Mad Missile Man Wrote:  All this talk about vacations seems silly to me. If you're going somewhere without internet access, are a few games of Outwitters really a huge concern? And if they are, you probably know better than to start ranked games before you leave. And if you're leaving on really short notice, you probably have better things to worry about. Beyond that, we're talking about outliers and edge cases here.

So instead of adopting a policy that supports people who aren't interested in picking up the game for weeks and months at a time, why not implement rules that support those who are actually interesting in playing. These are your paying customers, people! I'd much rather see the turn limit lowered to 24 hours for ranked, and raised to two or three weeks for friendly.
So far it seems that Outwitters games are short, 20-30 turns at most, so if that turns out to be true in the long run then I see your point. Keep in mind that's I'm used to games that are typically a lot longer. Some of my League games in Hero Academy have been going on for a month, a couple turns almost every day.
02-17-2014, 05:19 AM
(07-07-2012 04:29 AM)Harti Wrote:  From a programmer's perspective it's like horror to implement a chess clock now. I think we should just go with a lower inactivity limit instead of thinking of highly complex concepts. Smile

It's not that hard to implement something like a chess clock. You only need like what, 1 or 2 variables? One to keep track of time left, and another one to keep track of your turn.

"for the cake shall only be a lie if you truly believe it is a lie"
02-17-2014, 06:36 AM
Wow, thread from 2012!

Live your life as more than plastic.
02-17-2014, 07:52 AM
(02-17-2014 05:19 AM)TheUberKid Wrote:  
(07-07-2012 04:29 AM)Harti Wrote:  From a programmer's perspective it's like horror to implement a chess clock now. I think we should just go with a lower inactivity limit instead of thinking of highly complex concepts. Smile

It's not that hard to implement something like a chess clock. You only need like what, 1 or 2 variables? One to keep track of time left, and another one to keep track of your turn.

Plus everything else that needs to be implemented with that, plus reworking the mechanics that will be affected, etc. In a complex system, adding even "1 or 2 variables" can require a lot of work depending on what they affect. Not even including UI changes..

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
02-17-2014, 08:01 AM
I think the tail end of this thread sums things up:

http://www.onemanleft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=2894

Live your life as more than plastic.
02-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Holy cow, someone used their shovel to dig this thread up.

[Image: sig.png]