Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The higher the League the slower!
01-23-2013, 09:47 AM
RE: The higher the League the slower!
(01-23-2013 07:28 AM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  
(01-23-2013 07:19 AM)Willythewile Wrote:  
(01-23-2013 06:45 AM)GoHeat 3 Wrote:  
(01-23-2013 06:43 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  I only play once or twice a day, or even not at all because of how worn out I am...

I don't want to be a Super-Titan anymore! It seems you can't ever enjoy the game!
Man, I miss my days in Fluffy!

Heat, you are so right mate. Being a Fluffy was way cool, no stress, no pressure. I miss being a Fluffy too! Of course, the way I've been playing lately being a Fluffy again is right around the corner.Tongue
Haha I seem to have forgotten how to play as well!Tongue

No way! I'm feeling the same way! I think it's just cause a lot of people just flowed into this game and are kicking butt.

But back on topic, OP, from the way you said it, you would lose 10 games in a row, and then win 10 games in a row... that's actually really good, considering your losses will rank you down enough to make the wins probably give you twice the points you lost.

You think only Adorables use snipers on SFI?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2013, 10:14 AM
(01-23-2013 08:04 AM)Tenrabbits Wrote:  Cant argue with the maths of it! It's just so slow these days.. you guys comments are a pretty good explanation of why it gets slower the higher up you go, each move needs more thought! I have a habit of getting bored second guessing my opponent and just pick a strategy and go for it..

I def take longer when I'm in a bad spot, not stalling just need to find the time to properly think through.

Although recently I do have a lot of 'screw it just do something' moments - this often leads to losses, but I just chalk it up to a learning experience. And at the end of the day, I'm finding it more fun PLAYING the game vs. THINKING about how to play.

With perfect match making we should all be closer to 50/50 win/loss, losing is nothing to be ashamed of - that's what I'm telling myself at least Smile

Proud member of Anonymous clan
Master League 1x1, occasionally top 200
Master League 2x2 w Ryzuma
01-23-2013, 12:11 PM
(01-23-2013 04:29 AM)Tenrabbits Wrote:  Yeah but that doesn't work as my slots fill up. So say I start twenty games and I'm winning in ten of them and losing in ten, then the ten I'm winning grind to a halt, whereas the losing ones I complete. So I've just lost ten in a row. I then start ten more, by the law of averages I'll lose some of them too, and more slots for the winning games will be used up. The end result is I can't play until some of the winning games are finished, as otherwise I'd keep losing over and over, and anyway the games I start will be against someone with a lower hidden rating (as I'm losing so much)!

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres, for example. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of losses Tenrabbits must take as he starts new games, he can never win a single game.
01-23-2013, 02:14 PM
In your paradox, as long as Achilles is moving any faster than the tortoise, he will eventually catch up.

Proud Member of the Diamond League!
[Image: sig.png]
01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
One thing that i realized when i was thinking just now, is that everybody naturally wants to win, and will naturally want to play the games that they are winning before the games that you are losing. I know that when I sit down and have time to play a few turns in Outwitters, I generally play the games I am winning first, then play the games im losing if I have time. I hope this helps clear things up.

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
01-23-2013, 11:16 PM
(01-23-2013 12:11 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  
(01-23-2013 04:29 AM)Tenrabbits Wrote:  Yeah but that doesn't work as my slots fill up. So say I start twenty games and I'm winning in ten of them and losing in ten, then the ten I'm winning grind to a halt, whereas the losing ones I complete. So I've just lost ten in a row. I then start ten more, by the law of averages I'll lose some of them too, and more slots for the winning games will be used up. The end result is I can't play until some of the winning games are finished, as otherwise I'd keep losing over and over, and anyway the games I start will be against someone with a lower hidden rating (as I'm losing so much)!

In the paradox of Achilles and the Tortoise, Achilles is in a footrace with the tortoise. Achilles allows the tortoise a head start of 100 metres, for example. If we suppose that each racer starts running at some constant speed (one very fast and one very slow), then after some finite time, Achilles will have run 100 metres, bringing him to the tortoise's starting point. During this time, the tortoise has run a much shorter distance, say, 10 metres. It will then take Achilles some further time to run that distance, by which time the tortoise will have advanced farther; and then more time still to reach this third point, while the tortoise moves ahead. Thus, whenever Achilles reaches somewhere the tortoise has been, he still has farther to go. Therefore, because there are an infinite number of losses Tenrabbits must take as he starts new games, he can never win a single game.

Say, Achilles runs with 10 m/s, and the tortoise with 1 m/s, Achilles would've caught up the tortoise in 11 and 1/9th seconds Tongue

01-24-2013, 01:50 AM
(01-23-2013 03:23 PM)Phyresis Wrote:  One thing that i realized when i was thinking just now, is that everybody naturally wants to win, and will naturally want to play the games that they are winning before the games that you are losing. I know that when I sit down and have time to play a few turns in Outwitters, I generally play the games I am winning first, then play the games im losing if I have time. I hope this helps clear things up.

Me too
01-25-2013, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 06:15 AM by Ja Karta.)
One thing that would help *tremendously* is if there were an option for more streamlined presentation of replays. Like on the OSN.
( http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Y-tCeAgw )

Replays are *soooo* slow that I often put off playing because I don't have time to watch them.

If you're playing super casually you can skip them frequently, if you're trying to play tactically you not only need to watch them you need to re-watch them just to remember where the one unit in the fog is or whether they purchased a unit 2 turns ago, etc.

Alternatively, a 'tactical' view that shows last known positions for units (maybe a couple other things) would let you play without replays.

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
01-25-2013, 01:25 PM
I actually prefer to play my losing games first. Winning games I mean I will win them, so they are not as exciting. Losing games I know that at any moment my opponent may mess up and I will be able to gloriously turn the tables!
01-25-2013, 11:10 PM
(01-25-2013 01:25 PM)garcia1000 Wrote:  I actually prefer to play my losing games first. Winning games I mean I will win them, so they are not as exciting. Losing games I know that at any moment my opponent may mess up and I will be able to gloriously turn the tables!

And it's all about the glory! To quote Shane Falco, "Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory....last forever."