Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Buff or Not to Buff? That is the Question
01-21-2013, 05:27 AM
Too Buff or Not to Buff? That is the Question
In watching lots of Super Titan replays I notice that some of the top players buff their soldiers and some don't. The ones that don't buff usually send runners along. I'm not sure why I mention this, I guess I was just looking for some thoughts on "to buff or not to buff"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-21-2013, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-21-2013 05:33 AM by lawtai.)
RE: Too Buff or Not to Buff? That is the Question
I'm not a Super-Titan, but if possible, I think you should buff your soldiers. It makes it so that your opponent will likely require at least 2 units to take out your soldier. This can mean using up 3 wits to take out your soldier, leaving them less wits to take out other units.

[Image: sig.png]
01-21-2013, 05:34 AM
4 HP Soldiers seem to be the most cost-efficient unit. The opponent will - unless scrambling - always require two units to attack them and they're able to deal with almost every unit in pairs. They are furthermore particularly useful on single-spawn maps when the opponent is behind in unit count.

The players who don't boost their Soldiers do either have other main objectives / insufficient wits, or they know they can avoid Sniper fire and attacks from Heavies.

This post is not to say that you'll win every game solely spawning 4 HP Soldiers, you should always have other units around, but I've seen people do that and hell did I have a hard time countering it.

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
01-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Actually, 2 bombshells can kill 2 4 hp soldiers for only 2 attacks Wink

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
01-21-2013, 05:54 AM
Bombshells ain't no countin'

01-21-2013, 06:02 AM
I find a mix works well. The 4's might be placed in more aggressive positions and the 3's a hex back. Don't let the 3's be in range of snipers or heavies.
01-21-2013, 06:13 AM
The good thing about a mix is that you aren't counter-able by snipers and heavies - you can send the 4hp nearer to them. 3hp soldier spam rarely works, I've played against it to an extreme level on peekaboo (I think I counted 10 3hp soldiers o-o) And thats the only game I've spawned 2 heavies.

Another main reason is taking advantage of your spawn where you need it; on one spawn maps you might be able to save wits but without spawns you can't do anything with it. Even on 2 spawn maps this is the case, especially on Thorn Gulley.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
01-21-2013, 09:59 AM
in a typical game i have 3hp soldiers for the first couple turns. I then start healing later in the game.

The reasoning for no 4hp soldiers for the first couple of turns is because I like to get map control and scout my enemy. 4hp soldiers just seem like a big investment to start a game with, but next to nothing once you banked the wits.
Also I think boosting runners in the early game is smarter than boosting soldiers early game.
01-22-2013, 08:19 AM
One argument for not healing is if you are going for a early soldier push and by not healing you can get more soldiers out/more wits to attack. Opponent generally need snipers to counter this but that can be hard to get out early. Sharkfood comes to mind.

That said, I almost always boost my soldiers, it is just so easy to counter with snipers otherwise. The the exception is vs feedback. If there is a big chance the soldiers will get scrambled it might be better to lead with unboosted ones.

Soldier spam FTW
01-24-2013, 08:26 AM
Buffing soldiers seems such a waste, I hate to do it. It's 2 to create and 1 to buff, but that assumes your medic is adjascent. If not, then add a wit to position the medic. 4 wits? Even at 3 wits it's a lot, 50% more.

Unless there is a reason, I don't buff soldiers.