Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Attack types - very confused
01-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Attack types - very confused
I am only in clever but I have seen a couple of attack types being named. So far, I know that a rush has something to do with runners, and I have heard of turtling, and also reaper rush, but I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN! After all, I am only an idiot who has been playing since game release D:

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
RE: Attack types - very confused
Turtling is the general habit of refusing to attack. Very infamous on Peekaboo.
The reaper rush can be seen here: http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20Y392SAgw
Then there's the Foundry rush, which basically implies spamming soldiers in your opponent's defences.

01-12-2013, 08:34 PM
(01-12-2013 08:12 PM)Wildtalon1851 Wrote:  I am only in clever but I have seen a couple of attack types being named. So far, I know that a rush has something to do with runners, and I have heard of turtling, and also reaper rush, but I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN! After all, I am only an idiot who has been playing since game release D:

Sorry, got rush wrong too Tongue

Rushing: Basically, a strong and early/fast attack that deals heavy damage and basically guarantees victory. Rushes often occur in the early stages of the game and are based on usually simple and foolproof methods. this being said, they are easy to replicate too. The Reaper Rush is a rush utilising Mobi on the map Reaper. Doesn't have to do with runner Wink Previously there was a rush on Foundry, using the lower soldier to attack the base rather than claim the wit space as intended (this has since been patched).

Turtling: *Kind of* the opposite of rushing. Turtling is a menial but often easy to employ but tactic. Primarily it involves the use of Bombshells. It is often where one or both players build some sort of impenetrable fortress around this unit, or where there is some sort of mutual stalemate where both develop forces but neither is capable of overwhelming the other. The most common standoff is where both sides amass bombshells, or one side does so and the other prepares some attack. When both sides utilise bombshells, neither side would benefit greatly from advancing, due to the benefits of camping, and so the matches move at a very slow rate; some may say, as slow as a turtle. Thus the term "turtling"
01-12-2013, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the advice. Does anyone else know any other attack or defend types?

Once a master of nothing, now a noob to pretty much everything.
Hiatus resolved. I stalk these hallways again.
GC Silent_Dynasty because I'm indecisive and whatever ;u;
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Well there is an attack type called runner spamming where in the beginning of a game you make runners to take the base to lower life. Then make more to kill the runners who probable killed your previous ones. I always see people in clever do that in maps with two spawn spaces.

~> Gifted League 1v1 Gifted
~> GC: OutWitter11
~>S.E.A.L.
~>Scotland!
01-12-2013, 11:25 PM
I always thought turtling was more about their shell rather than their speed. And armadilloing is harder to say.

[Image: sig.png]
01-13-2013, 01:07 AM
(01-12-2013 08:34 PM)QuantumApocalypse Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 08:12 PM)Wildtalon1851 Wrote:  I am only in clever but I have seen a couple of attack types being named. So far, I know that a rush has something to do with runners, and I have heard of turtling, and also reaper rush, but I DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN! After all, I am only an idiot who has been playing since game release D:

Turtling: *Kind of* the opposite of rushing. Turtling is a menial but often easy to employ but tactic. Primarily it involves the use of Bombshells. It is often where one or both players build some sort of impenetrable fortress around this unit, or where there is some sort of mutual stalemate where both develop forces but neither is capable of overwhelming the other. The most common standoff is where both sides amass bombshells, or one side does so and the other prepares some attack. When both sides utilise bombshells, neither side would benefit greatly from advancing, due to the benefits of camping, and so the matches move at a very slow rate; some may say, as slow as a turtle. Thus the term "turtling"

I sense bias. Turtling is easy to do against feedback and especially Veggienauts, but it can be hard to do against post patch adorables (or so I here from most of the top players, many of which are switching to adorables). Adorables can hit and run cost efficiently whittling away a turtle without getting hit by bombshells. The trades are wit neutral but the Scallywag player gets behind in unit count. In other words, turtling isn't an easy menial task against adorables since the patch (though prepatch I agree). And it is still extremely annoying for feedback to deal with on many maps. However adorables seem much more annoying for feedback now than Scallywags. Am I going to call mobi hit and run easy or menial though (all it requires is turtling with mobis, attacking and recalling to safety). Not here when someone is asking for simple definitions. Those criticisms belong in a balance thread.
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
(01-12-2013 11:25 PM)KMan 29 Wrote:  I always thought turtling was more about their shell rather than their speed. And armadilloing is harder to say.

Yup. In other games where you can build structures, turtling is even more apt because the turtler is building walls, turrets, or other defenses and just hiding behind the shell.
01-13-2013, 01:13 AM
(01-12-2013 10:33 PM)OW11 Wrote:  Well there is an attack type called runner spamming where in the beginning of a game you make runners to take the base to lower life. Then make more to kill the runners who probable killed your previous ones. I always see people in clever do that in maps with two spawn spaces.

Runner spam is probably what the tc mistook for rush. This is because most of the time runner spam is itself a rush. It can be effective in lower leagues where players have trouble defending. However in the higher leagues the runner spammer gets way behind in wits. After getting the base down to 2 or 3 health, the runner spammer has falling behind by around 10 wits giving the defender a massive advantage and resulting in a loss for the spammer.
01-13-2013, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 10:18 PM by brayton.)
Dont anyone remember the great runner rush problem of july.
Or so they said. You know, the "runner is way OP(overpowered), im just gonna spam" approach
Dont anyone remember the great runner rush problem of july.
Or so they said. You know, the "runner is way OP(overpowered), im just gonna spam" approach
Howd we fix that(by we, i mean devs). Did we(i mean us) just mature and find better gameplay.

Up for Friendliez! Gifted League GCID: braytos
[Image: sig.png]