Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More than 80% of players are in Fluffy and Clever?
01-27-2013, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2013 10:36 AM by CombatEX.)
RE: More than 80% of players are in Fluffy and Clever?
This does deserve serious consideration. The longer we let the current discouraging distribution persist, the shorter the lifespan of Outwitters.

Some people take it better than others, but for most, feeling that you're bad at a game isn't going to motivate you to keep playing. Especially since you could be improving a ton (going from bottom of fluffy to the top and passing 30%+ players on the way) but still not getting promoted and as a result have no concrete feedback that you're actually any better than when you started.

Now think of it this way, if you're a Master player, wouldn't you be more encouraged in Titan? It feels closer to Super-Titan due to the naming scheme. More importantly, Gifted currently seems like a league for average players since it is right in the middle. Since Gifted is actually much smaller than Clever and Fluffy (only 15% vs 40%), it really should be a prestigious league and 'Master' seems like the perfect name for it. So we now have Master -> Titan, Gifted -> Master. Then we get to the most critical leagues, Clever and Fluffy. Clever, which is the league with players of average skill becomes Gifted, the middle tier. Doesn't this make sense? If you're in Gifted, you feel like you're average, and you'd be right if a new system is implemented. Currently if you're average you'd instead be in Clever and feel like you're below average. Then, finally, we get to Fluffy. As mentioned above, there is a huge skill range in Fluffy as it is composed of 40% of the players. You could improve dramatically, but under the current system not be promoted and as a result still feel mediocre. In the new system you would instead be promoted to Clever!

Anyway, the bottom-line is that 80% of players shouldn't be made to think they are below average.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow okay this makes a lot of sense. I won my five placement matches and was put in gifted. I had originally thought this was just the average league and thought I should have been placed higher. After I started playing some matches in this league though, I was very surprised at how much stronger these players are. I feel much better knowing these guys are in the first quintile xD
01-27-2013, 09:06 PM
I think that summarizes it pretty well, CombatEX.
When introducing the next season, it would be a good time for OML to think about changing the current league distribution as well.

Rising Star Tournament for Fluffy, Clever and Gifted players - FINAL ROUND started!
01-28-2013, 12:23 AM
If you put less skilled players in clever that doesn't make them cleverer than they were before

I hear there's a secret Mobi hidden here somewhere…
01-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Now, if you take a look at the statistics on OSN. Let's take my stats (Gifted 1v1, Clever 2v2 random, while running 50% against Gifted) as an example. With my 1v1 stats, i know that i'm about mediocre Gifted, and thus i would've thought i was average worldwide. But actually, I would be around top 10% of the world, if my original estimations are correct. It would be quite misleading.

2v2 random is even worse. I can't believe how 60% are mashed into Fluffy. It just sucks. I know from myself that i'm about at the borderline between Clever and Gifted, and it really sucks in the first place that i'm not yet promoted. Something needs to happen to help this out.

01-28-2013, 06:22 AM
(01-28-2013 12:23 AM)TheGoldenGriffin Wrote:  If you put less skilled players in clever that doesn't make them cleverer than they were before

That's not the point though. The idea isn't to give players a false ego boost, but rather to give players a more correct impression of their skill. Right now a Clever player will likely assume s/he is below average. This is not necessarily true. In reality, that Clever player could actually be in the top quartile of players. In the proposed system a top Clever player (top 25% of players overall) would actually be in Gifted and on the verge of promotion to Master. Doesn't that make more sense?

Someone who is better than 75% of players:

- Currently in Clever, the second lowest league
- Under the new system would be ranked in Gifted and close to Master

Someone who is average, better than 50%, worse than 50%:

- Currently in Clever, the second lowest league and the same league as the player who is better than 75% (and likely far more skilled). Why are they in the same league?
-Under the new system would be in Gifted, the middle league

A completely average player would be made to feel s/he is average in the new system whereas now s/he likely feels below average.

So again, this isn't about making people feel better than they really are, but rather about giving a more accurate representation of their true standing among the overall playerbase.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
01-28-2013, 05:15 PM
This thread forgets the fact that most people don't play outfitters. How do you fit that into your reranked leagues? If I'm new, and in fluffy, and there's no one to play with, that's not much fun.

I bet much more than 90% of the people who downloaded this game are inactive. The percentage on battle.net that are inactive is huge, like 90+%, and those people paid to get the game.
01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
I still think the game should be Elo based rather than this crazy point system It would just solve everything
01-29-2013, 01:08 AM
(01-28-2013 08:25 PM)^=discipulus=^ Wrote:  I still think the game should be Elo based rather than this crazy point system It would just solve everything
Th crazy point system doesn't actually count for much of anything. Everyone has a hidden skill rating, which is what really runs the show.

Proud Member of the Diamond League!
[Image: sig.png]
01-30-2013, 08:36 AM
is there a way to see how many GAMES are played in each league rather than just players?