Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
More than 80% of players are in Fluffy and Clever?
01-05-2013, 01:12 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 10:34 AM by ImperialSun.)
More than 80% of players are in Fluffy and Clever?
Outwitters Sports Network may be missing some players, but if you look at the stats page, assuming the distribution is roughly equivalent to the actual stats, the league breakdown is around-

<0.01% ST
5-6% M
10-15% G
40% C
40% F

This doesn't have any influence on me personally since I dont fall in these leagues, but I feel that it could be demoralizing for so many players to be in fluffy and clever. I always assumed the distribution was more equal so that being in fluffy would mean far below avg and clever would mean below average. The fact is, this isn't true. You can be in fluffy and be in the 40th percentile. While that is below average, it's not by much. More dramatically, before I assumed that players in clever were around 30th/40th percentile which isn't all that great (below average). However, it appears that one can be in clever and be in the top quartile of players!

The point is that with no info provided to say otherwise, this distribution leads players to believe they are worse than they actually are... Not a great motivational tool. Instead I would suggest something like-

(If you want to maintain the semi pyramid like system)

<0.01% ST
10% M
25% G
30% C
35% F

This puts 15% of the current players in the F/C leagues into Gifted. Actually I think it would be better to break it up a bit more. A friend of mine suggested a Titan league to fit with the whole ST idea (why is there a Super-Titan when there isn't a Titan?)-

Elite Leagues
Top 50 Super-Titan Super-Titan
5% [Image: GSD1c.png] Titan

Standard Leagues
20% Master League Master
25% Gifted League Gifted
25% Clever League Clever
25% Fluffy League Fluffy

Credits to Katastrophe for the sample Titan logo

Thoughts? I know most of our forum members aren't in fluffy or clever (which, now that I know the distribution is rather surprising), but what do you think? Should the league breakdown be adjusted?
For those of you familiar with Starcraft I thought I'd post this analogy to show why the current system isn't as "positive".

ST = Grandmaster
Master = Master and High Diamond
Gifted = Mid and Low Diamond
Clever = Platinum and Gold
Fluffy = Silver and Bronze

It should be apparent that something is wrong here. 3/5 leagues devoted to players in diamond+? Well, I guess if you liked iCCup then this will make you happy, but if OML wants to encourage players of all levels SC2's ranking system accomplishes that much better than SCBW's (or in this case, Outwitters').

I know that for many casual players its a big deal to get promoted from gold to platinum or bronze to silver. However in Outwitters there isn't much for the majority of players to strive for. Instead of having Bronze->Silver->Gold->Platinum which is a nice motivational progression, you have Fluffy->Clever. As I mentioned earlier, this feels more like going from mediocre to slightly less mediocre without knowing the distributions (really going from fluffy to clever is a pretty big deal but it doesn't seem like it if you don't have the full picture which most people don't).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2013, 06:43 AM
RE: More than 80% of players are in Fluffy and Clever?
That's surprising I always thought fluffy and clever made up about 40% to 50% together (no offense) I agree there should be a Titan league even though ill never make it there

1v1: Gifted League
2v2 #140 with liner15
May the ninja frog be with you....
01-05-2013, 07:37 AM
Maybe we can have rewards for leveling up from fluffy to clever. Or give tips on how to play.
01-05-2013, 08:35 AM
It should really be more of a bell curve, in my opinion...

10% Super Titan
20% Master
40% Gifted
20% Clever
10% Fluffy

Or to keep in line with a pyramid, I would suggest...

5% Titan
10% Master
20% Gifted
30% Clever
35% Fluffy

I would like to see Super Titan become the "GrandMaster" of StarCraft where it's not a percentage, but rather a top number. Probably not 200, unless the population grows, but maybe the Top 50 would be considered 'Super Titan'.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 08:51 AM by ImperialSun.)
I would like a fixed 50 for Super Titan (can be expanded later) too, but to facilitate that I think we should have a Titan league so there are still 5 normal leagues (on re-reading your post I see that you agree here). A bell curve would be okay, but the top league shouldn't be 10% because then there isn't a really prestigious league. The reason I suggested a more even distribution though was just because that's how Starcraft 2 does it and it seems to work pretty well as far as progression goes. In SC it's

200 GM
2% Master
18% Diamond
20% Platinum
20% Gold
20% Silver
20% Bronze

So I'm thinking

50* Super-Titan
5% Titan
20% Master
25% Gifted
25% Clever
25% Fluffy

* A fixed number, can be ~50 for now and upped to 100 or 200 if the player-base expands enough.
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 09:58 AM by Katastrophe.)
(01-05-2013 08:49 AM)ImperialSun Wrote:  50* Super-Titan
5% Titan
20% Master
25% Gifted
25% Clever
25% Fluffy
I see absolutely nothing wrong with copying the SC2 system. After all, it's amazing.

Also, I took the liberty of making a very rough 'Titan' logo.
[Image: GSD1c.png]

Edit: Cleaned it up to completely remove the highest laurels.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2013 10:33 AM by ImperialSun.)
Nice work Katastrophe Big Grin Looks good and fits the theme.

Elite Leagues
Top 50 Super-Titan Super-Titan
5% [Image: GSD1c.png] Titan

Standard Leagues
20% Master League Master
25% Gifted League Gifted
25% Clever League Clever
25% Fluffy League Fluffy
01-05-2013, 10:26 AM
(01-05-2013 08:35 AM)Katastrophe Wrote:  Or to keep in line with a pyramid, I would suggest...

5% Titan
10% Master
20% Gifted
30% Clever
35% Fluffy

It's already this except ST's are <1% I can't remember where but I'm pretty sure sometime ago Alex or Adam said that Clever and Fluffy make up 70% of the league. I still think fluffy needs a name change.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
01-05-2013, 10:31 AM
I suggest either fodder or boot-heel-face league Smile

Proud Member of the Diamond League!

Will Scramble for Wits - My journey in Outwitters

(12-29-2012 12:04 PM)worldfamous Wrote:  He probably only called scrambler gay because you penetrated him with it. Big Grin
01-05-2013, 10:32 AM
(01-05-2013 10:31 AM)Judment Wrote:  I suggest either fodder or boot-heel-face league Smile

Haha thats even more derogative xD

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?