Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some random feedback, for what it's worth
12-23-2012, 06:49 PM
Some random feedback, for what it's worth
Hi. Since the new league I'm not enjoying the game at all. It seems like I'm getting matched against players that are leagues above me...which is just not fun at all. The recent games I've played are all against top ranked master league players and I'm in gifted not even near the top. There are multiple issues as far as I see. A) it's no fun just losing miserably over and over again. B) the scoring system starting everyone at 0 means there is not even a reward for having lost to a good player since 0 - (say) 8 is exactly the same as 0 - 30 that is 0. What's the point when 90% of the league is at 0 points.

It's disappointing because I like the game but for mid level play the match making is just terrible. Do the devs care about play at any level but Titan, or is that just an afterthought?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: Some random feedback, for what it's worth
Maybe you are matched with them because they lost a lot of games in the row and their skill rating fell but your rating is high from not losing...? So after you lose a few games you will be back among the people of your skill.

Personally I like playing against better players as there's always something to learn from your loss. That is not to say that I like losing. Anyway, have not noticed that I'm matched against people much better than me from the update. But I didn't get matched to anyone less skilled - that is, all my games in the last few days (wins and losses) have been hard fought.
12-23-2012, 07:35 PM
That may be the case, but my point is not that it's a bug but that it's completely unsatisfying. It's not challenging in a fun way...it's just flat out you lose game over get better noob. I only bring it up because I think this game could be so much more but it's league play really holds it back. Also I don't think it is what you're saying I've only won two games since the league started. I also bring up the 0 issue as a major flaw imo. What's to stop someone throwing a dozen games at the start so they can play against easier players for easy wins? Not that I'm accusing anyone but it feels like a bad system. I really am flabbergasted as to why the devs continue to resist ELO ranking which is a well established system and rather continue these experiments on the scoring system.
12-23-2012, 07:49 PM
AwesomeElmo,
The issue with league points incorrectly counted is already fixed. Your skill rating is unaffected however. The reason why you were matched against master players was already answered by greatbero correctly. It is a good sign if you are matched against players in the league above you. Means that you were close to a promotion. That you are loosing those games simply is a sign that you are not yet fully there yet. Once this is reflected in your skill rating you will be matched against weaker players again. The league position says very little about the strength of a player. It is rather an indicator of his activity.

It is a competitive game. Being matched against strong players is part of the adjustment process. Over time the matchmaking process tries to match you to an expected 50% win/loss ratio.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
12-23-2012, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the responses. It's just my honest opinion and I'm going to keep trying. I just believe its better to express my discontent than silently stop playing.
12-23-2012, 08:32 PM
In an elo based system you would also be matched against stronger players once your skill rating increases.... And only once your subsequent losses are recognised youwill be matched against slightly weaker players again...

By the way OML said the skill rating was not altered or affected by the league points change. So it was nota new start after the update, the skill rating was carried forward.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
12-23-2012, 08:40 PM
The problem for me is that the rating is hidden and the rankings we see are not really reflective of anything...which just exacerbates the problem. If it was Elo I would see my ranking go up and down and then I would know its a fair comparison of my skills. As much as they try to persist the points system just doesn't work. It's not really reflective of anything UNLESS you're at the top of the rankings. It's quite frustrating for middle tiers because competitive play over a season is meaningless. Even if you're lucky and scramble your way to the top you can get bumped at any random time and end up at the bottom of the next tier. It would be much more rewarding if the goals were fixed and achievable.