Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Android Support
12-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Android Support
Forgive me if there's already a thread about this, but I really think this game should have android support. I mean, this game is absolutely wonderful, but I can't play it anymore due to me not having an apple device anymore. I'm not really that great with programming and stuff, so if there are issues with this being on the Android phone, I understand, but I really feel a game this good should be available to more people. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-21-2012, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2012 04:23 PM by Phyresis.)
RE: Android Support
I Believe the issue was with how closely tied to game center Outwitters is. Im sure it wouldnt be impossible if a suitable alternative was there, but I really cant see that happening at this point.
P.S. why did you get rid of an Apple product?

Gifted League Gamecenter:Phyresis
OSN Profile
Wolfpack on OSN
WE ARE THE WOLFPACK!
12-21-2012, 05:40 PM
I gues it also has to do with the fact that OML is just a two person team. They concentrate on one system and try to deliver an outstanding product there instead of spreading their attention over several systems which may overstretch their capacity.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2u7x1fb.jpg]
awesome signature design by .Memories.
12-21-2012, 11:43 PM
I still think they miss a large portion of support by not doing Android. Where i live, more then 60% of people who would like Outwitters simply has Android.

12-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I think that using Game Center does allow Adam and Alex to just assign a profile linking to that so that the rankings and servers can just link instead of storing user information. I am not big on code, but they would have to make another server just to hold that information for Android users. Then would be the deal with being able to link that to Game Center users. It could be done, just a lot of time and effort that OML team doesn't have.

GC: TheGreatAnt
12-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Different programming languages.
iOS: c++
Android: I think java? Not quite sure

Also outwitters is done with GC. So it wont ever be on android, sorry Sad
12-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Oh, so it's mainly because of gamecenter. And to be clear, I didn't get rid of my itouch. It was being fixed and it took a LONG time. It's back though. Finally, I need outwitters in my life.
12-24-2012, 03:35 AM
I hope outwitters gets no android action. If apple generated this into a console saga it would stand better chances of maintaining relevance.
01-22-2013, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-2013 07:08 AM by Ja Karta.)
I'd just to add +1 for Android support.
I can see how it would present many problems, but, speaking as a management consultant there's a very strong business case for it.

Even taking for granted that it would be time intensive to make an Android version there is still a huge synergy with the original iOS version.
1) Re-use of art & music assets
2) Re-use of game design assets (which really are incredible; the design that is)
3) Social synergy of increasing the number of players (and potential recommenders) for the game by having both iOS and Android markets.
4) Android platforms, while suffering from lower app sales also have fewer competing apps. e.g. there's no Hero Academy or the like to compete with.
5) Android has a large, relatively untapped user base.

Effectively, modulo specific details, you ought to be able to make an Android version of Outwitters for *substantially* less than the iOS version while more than doubling market share. Potentially much more, given the non-linear nature of social dynamics (which tend to follow power laws, though I won't get too nerdy here).

Super-Titan

(Actually, in all seriousness, in the unlikely event that the game's creators happen to read these forums and want some pro bono analysis I'd be happy to help. I just really respect the game's design and would like it to be a success. Also, more than 1/2 the people I'd recommend it to use Android. Rolleyes )

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
01-22-2013, 08:56 AM
(12-22-2012 03:29 PM)laYahooz Wrote:  Different programming languages.
iOS: c++
Android: I think java? Not quite sure

Also outwitters is done with GC. So it wont ever be on android, sorry Sad

iOS is primarily Objective-C, a bit different from C++. And yes, Android is primarily Java.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]