Thread Rating:
  • 25 Vote(s) - 3.64 Average
Tips for New Players
08-15-2012, 11:02 PM
RE: Tips for New Players
Fair enough, I never meant for it to come across as "this is how you must play". It was more like "here are very specific things you can try and see if it improves your game"

At least people got to see that there are different ways of approaching the game by this discussion Wink

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2012, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-16-2012 10:20 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
Here are a few things I've noticed. A lot of these are situational; more proverbs and definitely not 'ultimatums'.

* Before you execute your perfect, tactically sound move: check to see if there is a stupid reckless move that would win you the game.

I don't want to tell you how many games I've won when (on the third or forth 'count') I accidentally discovered I was in position to win or irrecoverably cripple my opponent that turn.

* Make sure the zany reckless move is going to win you the game.

* Don't boost a Runner that your opponent is 99% certain to attack with a non-Runner.

* Don't boost Runners.

* Don't attack the base with a non-adjacent Runner

* Do attack a Base with a non-adjacent Runner if the Base is at 3HP or less.

* There is a huge difference between a base at 4HP and a base at 3HP.

* There is a huge difference between a base at 2HP and a base at 1HP.

* For insta-defense near your spawn, remember that Snipers do three damage at range 3 for 4 wits. No other unit is this efficient.

* Don't attack your enemy's base near the spawn.

* Don't attack until victory is certain.

* Don't attack with less than four units.

* One boosted Soldier in the center is a curiosity; Two are Strong Like Bull.
08-16-2012, 10:56 PM
(08-16-2012 10:18 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  Here are a few things I've noticed. A lot of these are situational; more proverbs and definitely not 'ultimatums'.
While I agree on several points I think others are problematic if viewed as guidelines

(08-16-2012 10:18 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  * Don't boost Runners.
If you don't want to boost your runners as they are getting killed all the time you might not be using them to their full potential. On several maps there is a sweet spot where you want to have vision by putting a runner fairly close to the opponent but he can just kill it with one of his runners. If instead you boost the runner you force him overcommit with other units if he wants to kill it and you can trade favorably.

(08-16-2012 10:18 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  * Don't attack the base with a non-adjacent Runner

I would summarize it as just don't attack the base until victory is certain, unless you are Adorables and might be able to do a sneaky sniper attack later on! Big Grin

Soldier spam FTW
08-21-2012, 04:29 AM
I'm a high level gifted (currently on an 8-0 run, so soon to be master) that clawed my way up from Fluffy (my first three matches were league placement game before watching tutorial. Especially in the lower leagues you can throw your opponent off his game by attacking the base with a loan runner. In more advanced games I agree in not attacking the base until victory is imminent, but I think that is horrible advice for beginners
08-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Throwing an early runner against a base is almost always a losing move. The trade just doesn't work out in your favor. Just because there may be players unskilled enough to let you win using that move doesn't mean it's still not a bad move, and one to be warned against.
08-22-2012, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 06:27 AM by myninja527.)
Understand how fog of war works and how to use it to your advantage. most maps have bottlenecks where only a couple of units can block of a good portion of the map from the enemy.

If they don't know what is back there, they will most likely choose to attack at a different point. this plays to the Art of War adage, appear strongest where you are weak and vice versa.

Also there are several spots where boosted heavies can clog holes and cannot be killed in one turn without sniper, bombshells, or scrambler. keep a medic for healing and a runner for vision (and picking off snipers) behind and you can control a great deal of several maps with very little resources.
08-22-2012, 07:16 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2012 07:18 AM by NathanDetr0it.)
(08-16-2012 10:56 PM)Alvendor Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 10:18 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  * Don't boost Runners.
If you don't want to boost your runners as they are getting killed all the time you might not be using them to their full potential. On several maps there is a sweet spot where you want to have vision by putting a runner fairly close to the opponent but he can just kill it with one of his runners. If instead you boost the runner you force him overcommit with other units if he wants to kill it and you can trade favorably.

Yeah: I do boost runners, usually > once per game. Like I said, it's more of a situational proverb. Really, I should add right below the "don't boost runners" line another line that says: "Runners and snipers benefit far more from a boost than any other unit" just to illustrate that often the opposite of these proverbs are true.

(08-16-2012 10:56 PM)Alvendor Wrote:  
(08-16-2012 10:18 AM)NathanDetr0it Wrote:  * Don't attack the base with a non-adjacent Runner

I would summarize it as just don't attack the base until victory is certain, unless you are Adorables and might be able to do a sneaky sniper attack later on! Big Grin

But I think there often is a benefit to attacking the base (even if victory is not certain), because of the tremendous potential it has to disrupt your opponent's strategy. I would say "don't attack the base unless you can reduce to 3HP or less" is a probably more accurate, but not as straightforward.

I agree with some of these other posters that telling someone to avoid attacking the base "until victory is certain" would lead to overly cautious development, whereas this is a game that generally rewards calculated aggression.
08-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Sacrificing a unit in order to bait an opponent in to comming in range of a more powerful unit of your own, especially a Scrambler, is very handy.
09-02-2012, 05:18 AM
(07-05-2012 12:46 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  
Welcome to the World of Wits!
  • You don't have to use all of your Wits on every turn. Saving up for a decisive strike can turn the tides in your favor.
  • To effectively deploy Special Units, you should save up enough Wits to buff them with a Medic, position them, build your defensive accordingly or prepare an offense. Just spawning them is very risky.

Hi there! With regards to the above, is there a maximum number of Wits that can be held? 10, for instance?

Thanks!
09-02-2012, 05:30 AM
There's no cap.