Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What would your special unit be able to do?
12-19-2012, 02:09 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 02:10 AM by TheQwertiest.)
RE: What would your special unit be able to do?
(12-19-2012 02:02 AM)joelduque Wrote:  Grenadier, lobs grenades even into the fog, attack range of 3. Good anti-BS. Health-move-attack stats of 4-2-2 with splash of 1 damage.

so a different type of bombshell to anti the bombshell? hehe
i think a unit that could break the line of defense for the bs would be better. a unit that could destroy the soldier wall to make the bombshell easier to bring down

[Image: 9d7f96a4e69f9e49b3bcb2a9b2aa3267_zpsffc0a44c.jpg]
Anonymous Clan
GC: Pastil*
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-19-2012, 02:11 AM
Something that can launch a sonic death ray with a regharge of one turn.

12-19-2012, 02:13 AM
(12-19-2012 02:09 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  
(12-19-2012 02:02 AM)joelduque Wrote:  Grenadier, lobs grenades even into the fog, attack range of 3. Good anti-BS. Health-move-attack stats of 4-2-2 with splash of 1 damage.

i think a unit that could break the line of defense for the bs would be better. a unit that could destroy the soldier wall to make the bombshell easier to bring down

What if the special unit was a vortex that could suck the enemy line towards it with 1 damage to all surrounding units which were sucked into it? Then you could attack with other units.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
12-19-2012, 02:14 AM
Special gives a temporary buff to allied units which boosts their next attack by 1 damage, costs 1 wit to give buff to adjacent unit. After next attack of that unit, buff is removed.
12-19-2012, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 02:17 AM by TheQwertiest.)
(12-19-2012 02:13 AM)joelduque Wrote:  
(12-19-2012 02:09 AM)TheQwertiest Wrote:  

What if the special unit was a vortex that could suck the enemy line towards it with 1 damage to all surrounding units which were sucked into it? Then you could attack with other units.

this would be a great Tilt to Live themed team. vortex as the special. the units could have powers that correspond to the different power ups in tilt to live

Anonymous Clan
12-19-2012, 03:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 03:42 AM by CombatEX.)
If we see another special, I want it to be 'special'. In other words, it should do something that cannot already be achieved by other units. No normal units no matter how you combine them can teleport a unit somewhere else in a single turn like the mobi can. No normal units can convert an enemy unit either like the scrambler can. And no normal units can create thorn barriers like the bramble can.

Now, the bombshell can be replicated by normal units. However, that's the only special that acts like this so it's still unique. But, this means that we already have a plain damage oriented special like this so I don't want to see another one which just has the same ability as a combination of normal units. Any new special should have unique abilities like the mobi and scrambler and not just be an amalgamation of normal units.

As for actual ideas? I haven't thought too much about it, but here's a concept.

Phantom
HP: 4
ATK: 1 to Base, 2 to Units
MOV: Any visible space
VIS: 0

PROS:
+ Is immediately useful (can travel to the action on the turn it is spawned)
+ Can hit the enemy's base to deal 1 extra damage even if it is far away
+ Can kill snipers and medics with ease

CONS:
- Provides no vision so it is useless without support
- Like the Scrambler, needs to be in melee range to attack which makes it vulnerable if sent alone

COMPARISON TO SOLDIER:
HP: +1
ATK: = against units, -1 to bases
MOV: Anywhere in vision
VIS: -3
COST: +5

If movement were equal, this unit would be fairly comparable to a soldier in strength. In fact, if all units were different between teams in Outwitters, I could imagine these being the stats for a soldier on a different team, though perhaps with 1 vision so the unit could move independently (a team that has stronger soldiers but is reliant on other units for vision, actually that would be pretty cool ^^). Now, that being said, it seems like for a unit that is pretty much a soldier, +5 wits is huge so that movement buff for the special better make up for it. So that's the question, would the insane movement potential of the special make up for the extra 5 wit cost? Of course, numbers can always be tweaked, so the real question is, how hard would this be to balance? Maybe impossible. My primary concern is using it on the backdoor like in Glitch. However, keep in mind that it has 0 vision. This means that in order to actually hit the base, it can't just get into the backdoor, it needs to have vision of the space adjacent to the base. In fact, due to this, it might even be too weak! In this case maybe giving it 1 vision so it can at least slowly move around would be more fair. At any-rate, these values can be changed, it's the basic mechanic that is important. I think that this mechanic would drastically influence the way the opponent has to play to respond as well as how the user of the special plays. This is precisely what a special should do, change the way both players play.

IMPLEMENTATION:
This would be reasonably easy to add to the game as it doesn't require adding very much as far as new mechanics go.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
12-19-2012, 03:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2012 03:53 AM by TheQwertiest.)
(12-19-2012 03:39 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  If we see another special, I want it to be 'special'. In other words, it should do something that cannot already be achieved by other units. No normal units no matter how you combine them can teleport a unit somewhere else in a single turn like the mobi can. No normal units can convert an enemy unit either like the scrambler can. And no normal units can create thorn barriers like the bramble can.

Now, the bombshell can be replicated by normal units. However, that's the only special that acts like this so it's still unique. But, this means that we already have a plain damage oriented special like this so I don't want to see another one which just has the same ability as a combination of normal units. Any new special should have unique abilities like the mobi and scrambler and not just be an amalgamation of normal units.

As for actual ideas? I haven't thought too much about it, but here's a concept.

Phantom
HP: 4
ATK: 1 to Base, 2 to Units
MOV: Any visible space
VIS: 0

PROS:
+ Is immediately useful (can travel to the action on the turn it is spawned)
+ Can hit the enemy's base to deal 1 extra damage even if it is far away
+ Can kill snipers and medics with ease

CONS:
- Provides no vision so it is useless without support
- Like the Scrambler, needs to be in melee range to attack which makes it vulnerable if sent alone

COMPARISON TO SOLDIER:
HP: +1
ATK: = against units, -1 to bases
MOV: Anywhere in vision
VIS: -3
COST: +5

If movement were equal, this unit would be fairly comparable to a soldier in strength. In fact, if all units were different between teams in Outwitters, I could imagine these being the stats for a soldier on a different team, though perhaps with 1 vision so the unit could move independently (a team that has stronger soldiers but is reliant on other units for vision, actually that would be pretty cool ^^). Now, that being said, it seems like for a unit that is pretty much a soldier, +5 wits is huge so that movement buff for the special better make up for it. So that's the question, would the insane movement potential of the special make up for the extra 5 wit cost? Of course, numbers can always be tweaked, so the real question is, how hard would this be to balance? Maybe impossible. My primary concern is using it on the backdoor like in Glitch. However, keep in mind that it has 0 vision. This means that in order to actually hit the base, it can't just get into the backdoor, it needs to have vision of the space adjacent to the base. In fact, due to this, it might even be too weak! In this case maybe giving it 1 vision so it can at least slowly move around would be more fair. At any-rate, these values can be changed, it's the basic mechanic that is important. I think that this mechanic would drastically influence the way the opponent has to play to respond as well as how the user of the special plays. This is precisely what a special should do, change the way both players play.

IMPLEMENTATION:
This would be reasonably easy to add to the game as it doesn't require adding very much as far as new mechanics go.

i think its a great concept. but i think it needs more balancing.
i dont think its fair for maps like glitch where the spawn space is beside the base. its like a 4 hp block on the spawn space out of nowhere.
maybe reduce the hp to 3. (2hp normally, 3 with medic buff)

Anonymous Clan
12-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Do you mean spawn then move ontop of the opponents spawn space? That would be silly so you could have a restriction like the bombshell's firing and then it should be alright Smile. If its the other, heavy can do a better job?

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
12-19-2012, 04:09 AM
Ah yea. I forgot about blocking the opponent's spawn! That would be very annoying to deal with. We could take Necrocat's suggestion though and just make that an illegal move. If we want to be precise though, it's not the same as the bombshell's limitation. The bombshell can't fire on its own spawn, but it can fire on the opponent's. Speaking of that bombshell quirk though, it definitely seems like a bug (or rather, oversight), not an intended feature.

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
12-19-2012, 04:12 AM
True, I did use it to my advantage in the first tournament I entered and it felt dirty.

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?