Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Chess and Outwitters
12-14-2012, 12:09 AM
RE: Chess and Outwitters
I think those who like chess are more likely to like outwitters, and those who do not like chess are less likely Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-14-2012, 12:34 AM
(12-13-2012 10:57 AM)alexjiang1 Wrote:  Chess, it's easier to calculate tactics and have plans because of this "1 move" and often times can calculate 8-20 moves in advance but in outwitters, it's so much harder because of wit.
Chess, you have to have a good memory, you have to recognize tactical motifs, openings, endgame methods, and so many more because while playing, you can't use outside sources but in Outwitters, though memory is good, you can always go and check out ST replays for openings or tricks.
If you count an attack/move/creation as one move I'm usually calculate between 5-20 moves in advance depending on how important and complex the situation is. The last couple of moves might not be exact moves but more like "and then the opponent does something like x...". Sometimes I don't really care what the opponent does when I'm more concerned with the big picture of the position.

Before the update of Foundry it had several variations you needed to know against the best players. I haven't felt that's the case for much else. Someone posted a mobi rush on reaper that looks interesting though.

I never tried predicting other moves to get better. Maybe it depends on on your skill level in comparison to the replay how useful it is? My main tool for improving is my own games. I save all games I loose and think about them until I have a clear understanding why I lost. Also, I browse the super titan replay thread and if I see some interesting replays I try to add what they did to my weapon arsenal.

Soldier spam FTW
12-14-2012, 02:15 AM
I am not a chess player. But I play another board game called Weiqi. It is also knowned as Go. Anyone of you play that? It is a 19 by 19 lines board and the players position their pieces, either white of black on the intersection points. Because of the huge board, it is even more tedious to memorize the countless of opening moves and counter moves. However there are some general guidelines to know if your moves or countermoves are good or bad. While it may not be possible to predict exact moves, it is possible to predict their intentions and their plans in general.

Because of my lazy nature, I found it tedious to make precise calculations of my moves and my opponent moves. I normally just play according to my feeling and my general assessment of the situation. I noticed I carried forward this nature to outfitters and it definitely is not to my advantage. I am suffering the consequences and often lose many games.

I think this game has huge potential for educational purposes. It's been proven that abstract strategy games like chess helps develop cognition abilities. If chess is a little too boring or traditional and lost its touch among the youths, outwitters can be a good alternative.
12-14-2012, 03:37 AM
I tried to play Go awhile back, I was really really bad. Loved watching Hikaru no Go! though!
12-14-2012, 09:29 AM
I played chess for many years, entered tournaments and won a few. I played for my county and in national tournaments. Chess is a science. It consumes you, and takes all of your free time.

Outwitters, in comparison, is fun! The fog of war releases you from all the tedious calculation you have to do in chess. Outwitters is a bit like bridge or poker: you know the cards you are holding and, if you are clever you can make a good guess as to what your opponent is holding, but you are never sure.

I play Outwitters to relax. Chess was getting too serious.

I dream of being a Super Duper Titan!
12-14-2012, 09:40 AM
(12-14-2012 09:29 AM)Bad Herr Day Wrote:  I played chess for many years, entered tournaments and won a few. I played for my county and in national tournaments. Chess is a science. It consumes you, and takes all of your free time.

Outwitters, in comparison, is fun! The fog of war releases you from all the tedious calculation you have to do in chess. Outwitters is a bit like bridge or poker: you know the cards you are holding and, if you are clever you can make a good guess as to what your opponent is holding, but you are never sure.

I play Outwitters to relax. Chess was getting too serious.

This exactly. You never have to play some exact formation thanks to the FoW

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
12-14-2012, 09:49 AM
(12-14-2012 02:15 AM)Jacs9 Wrote:  I am not a chess player. But I play another board game called Weiqi. It is also knowned as Go. Anyone of you play that? It is a 19 by 19 lines board and the players position their pieces, either white of black on the intersection points. Because of the huge board, it is even more tedious to memorize the countless of opening moves and counter moves. However there are some general guidelines to know if your moves or countermoves are good or bad. While it may not be possible to predict exact moves, it is possible to predict their intentions and their plans in general.

Because of my lazy nature, I found it tedious to make precise calculations of my moves and my opponent moves. I normally just play according to my feeling and my general assessment of the situation. I noticed I carried forward this nature to outfitters and it definitely is not to my advantage. I am suffering the consequences and often lose many games.

I think this game has huge potential for educational purposes. It's been proven that abstract strategy games like chess helps develop cognition abilities. If chess is a little too boring or traditional and lost its touch among the youths, outwitters can be a good alternative.

I play GO on my Xbox sometimes. I am really terrible at that game. It takes too much brain power and thinking ahead for me to win.

Back to outwitters: I'm on the biggest losing streak Ive ever had right now because I forget that my opponents are now master league.

GC: Great Wolf Sif
12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
(12-14-2012 09:29 AM)Bad Herr Day Wrote:  I play Outwitters to relax. Chess was getting too serious.

Same here. But now Outwitters is getting serious for me too Tongue LOL

BTW, what country did you play chess for?
12-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Bad Herr Day: i agree, chess consumes loads of time especially pushing for Master

iPro Clan
12-16-2012, 07:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-16-2012 07:54 AM by Bad Herr Day.)
Poweewee, I played for my county, Shropshire, and Nottinghamshire. Not my country (uk). I did win the British minor championship in 1992, but that was a long time ago. I was close, but never reached Elo 2000 . It would interesting to find out who is the highest rated chess player who plays Outwitters?

I dream of being a Super Duper Titan!