Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Veggienauts players?
12-13-2012, 02:44 AM
RE: Veggienauts players?
(12-13-2012 12:44 AM)garcia1000 Wrote:  Hi my username on ipad is garcia10000

Confusing! Maybe that should be in your signature, or you should state that when publicly requesting challenges Wink.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2012, 06:41 AM
(12-13-2012 02:44 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  

Confusing! Maybe that should be in your signature, or you should state that when publicly requesting challenges Wink.

LMAO.
12-13-2012, 09:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:00 AM by game_taker.)
(12-13-2012 06:41 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  
(12-13-2012 02:44 AM)aaronINdayton Wrote:  

LMAO.

Well I cant find him!!
12-13-2012, 10:05 AM
@game_taker you only searched for Garcia1000 (1 thousand) not Garcia10000 (10 thousand)

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
12-13-2012, 10:06 AM
(12-13-2012 10:05 AM)Coolio Wrote:  @game_taker you only searched for Garcia1000 (1 thousand) not Garcia10000 (10 thousand)

Well I have made a fool out of myself quite well >.<
12-13-2012, 10:08 AM
(12-12-2012 11:10 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 04:07 AM)The RawkHawk Wrote:  I think this link is very related to this discussion and Outwitters in general:

Perfect Imbalance

I think it's a very interesting video to watch as a competitive chess player...

If you one day get the inspiration to write a post about the differences and similarities of Outwitter and competitive chess, I for one would love that!
I imagine there could be some insights regarding how chess players practice? Do you feel your chess skills translate? Any tips how to practice thinking several moves in advance etc etc..

Soldier spam FTW
12-13-2012, 10:14 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:15 AM by Coolio.)
I used to play chess in school and won a local tournament too! So why am I not good at outwitters!! Sad >.<

College Basketball Tournament for Outwitters!

They call me the weed cutter, the cutie killer, the machine masher, the pirate pulverizer.

Outwitters Name: Coolio - da best
12-13-2012, 10:23 AM
I agree bombshell > brambler.
I think mobi > brambler, but have haven't actually tried it.
I don't agree scrambler > brambler. I've beaten several high ranked feedback players with veggies and think they are pretty equal in strength. People who think feedback is much better than veggies just don't know how to be effective with veggies yet. I imagine that will change when we start to get some good replays in the super titan thread.

Veggies is a very hard race to play as you need think long term how the match will play out as removing any thorns is often very expensive. You can't be as aggressive with the thorns against feedback as against the other races. Generally, if you let him scramble a thorn you should be able to kill his scrambler or know that his thorn will be in an awkward space for him.

Remember, scrambled thorns have 1 health unless boosted and are easy to kill. He can't remove any of his thorns, this is huge! For every thorn he produces, only you will be able to remove it!

Soldier spam FTW
12-13-2012, 10:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 11:14 AM by Necrocat219.)
To be completely honest I never directly thought about how I applied my chess knowledge to Outwitters, it's just been instinct as I've been playing it since I was 9. I theory crafted various things such as how can I guarantee I get better off from capturing a wit space and counting wits and thinking ahead. In particular I've been wanting to write about threatening to checkmate in Outwitters but never got the motivation to. Brainstorming a few things off the top of my head I can think of a few things to cover already, I'm a bit tired at the moment though so I'll do it when I have time, only done threatening checkmate so far. Also criticize me, reading back on the checkmate part it looks like I talked about chess too much:

-Planning turns ahead- Predicting opponent's spawned units, position of medic, guessing who will attack first and how your opponent could attack or defend, using what you know to guess what you don't know. Work in progress.

Mastering Opening moves Might not be worth covering as everybody learns this anyway.

How many 'useful' turns (Wits) you have and how to play when winning and losing Snipers win games, threaten anything that moves. Work in progress.

Basic piece value Why killing the medic with a 1hp runner is almost always good for you, am I losing because my opponent is using their heavy and I'm not, which of your opponents units are worth most and which are worth least (e.g. which soldier should I target?)

-Threat of checkmate- Most the time in chess you end up following the same 'rules' of making your pieces as useful as possible, making your opponents pieces as useless as possible and through making good exchanges with your opponent. However the some of the most satisfying moves in chess are not checkmates themselves but seeing and creating a threat to checkmate your opponent that stops them from having control over what exchanges they make, (e.g. taking a rook with a Queen that was defended by a bishop and the bishop not being able to take back as it moving allows a checkmate to happen) Suddenly you break free from the mindset of the game and flip the game upside down, setting yourself up to gain a massive advantage over your opponent.

In Outwitters I feel that this even more crucial for top level play as you can not only threaten the base but threatening to capture an opponents wit space, block the spawn and threatening to get that scrambler bombshell or sniper in that perfect place. The perfect example is threatening to slip your soldier behind the base. What would usually be a wasteful move moving your soldier away from battle now becomes a threat of checkmate. Are you going to deal with my army or my one soldier that will end the game if you don't attack it?

Top 200 peak ranking: #18 Super-Titan

I'm currently taking a competative break. Am up for friendlies and tournaments!

(06-09-2014 02:14 PM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  I looked it up, apparently a kendama is a yo-yo (!). How the heck do you have forums for yo-yos?
12-13-2012, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 10:58 AM by alexjiang1.)
(12-13-2012 10:08 AM)Alvendor Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 11:10 AM)Necrocat219 Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 04:07 AM)The RawkHawk Wrote:  I think this link is very related to this discussion and Outwitters in general:

Perfect Imbalance

I think it's a very interesting video to watch as a competitive chess player...

If you one day get the inspiration to write a post about the differences and similarities of Outwitter and competitive chess, I for one would love that!
I imagine there could be some insights regarding how chess players practice? Do you feel your chess skills translate? Any tips how to practice thinking several moves in advance etc etc..

I too, play competitive chess, (currently an expert and top200 in TX). Yes I do feel outwitters and chess do correlate, my chess hasn't taken a hit w Outwitters and if anything benefited it. For chess, a way to study is by analyzing world champion games and try to based on reasoning, predict the next move, I assume it could be done in Outwitters if you know the wit count. In chess your opponent can only make a move at a time so it is relatively easier to calculate variations (though that 1 move is extremely crucial so you have to think longer and calculate the best move for your opponent also). Also in chess, everything has the same "hp" and do the same damage and you can't spawn another (except for promoting pawns) so you have to be wise in exchanges just like Outwitters. In chess though, there are hundreds of good openings whereas in Outwitters there are several for each map. In chess though, your opponent can respond in just as many ways and you have to know pretty much every way and get the gist of the idea or else you'll be in a crap position come middlegame/endgame.
In outwitters there are opening that are stronger, some weaker and rarely used. Most players use the strong ones in ST replay thread while in chess, most openings are equally as strong.
Outwitters is less predictable especially when it comes to the wit count whereas in chess, you know your opponent only can make one move.
Chess, it's easier to calculate tactics and have plans because of this "1 move" and often times can calculate 8-20 moves in advance but in outwitters, it's so much harder because of wit.
Chess, you have to have a good memory, you have to recognize tactical motifs, openings, endgame methods, and so many more because while playing, you can't use outside sources but in Outwitters, though memory is good, you can always go and check out ST replays for openings or tricks.
I feel one of the best ways is like I stated earlier, go out and put games on CodePenguin, see how many wits the player has, check how many the opponent has and from there try to predict the moves.
Well then, got semininjad

iPro Clan