Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outwitters Monetization
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Outwitters Monetization
So far I've seen plans to add teams and maps to bring in revenue for Outwitters. I'm sure that as a Starcraft fan you'll make sure to keep the teams balanced as that is crucial to any competitive game. As such I'm not worried about you selling imbalanced teams. However if you do plan to sell maps, can you consider doing so in larger more infrequent packs (much like an expansion such as HotS or LotV) as opposed to frequent single map purchases. I feel that this would help prolong the lifespan of the game in the long run and avoid diluting the playerbase. Not to mention issues of map balance etc. Though, unlike Starcraft the map probably doesn't make that huge of a difference in terms of balance since the races are all almost identical.

Another possibility for purchases in Outwitters is different skins for the races.

On a final note, I've been following Outwitters closely ever since it was first announced and it is looking to be a great game. Can't wait for the release in a few weeks!

I'm extremely pleased with how the ladder system turned out! I guess I shouldn't be surprised after you said it would be a lot like SC2's =)

Hope the game is a huge success!

[Image: supertitanreplay.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-25-2012, 10:57 PM
RE: Outwitters Monetization
Thanks for the support! Right now, the maps are bundled with their teams, so the Adorables Pack gets you that team and all of their themed maps. We threw out any plans for individual map purchases early on, because it was very nickel and dimey.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-26-2012, 01:56 AM
How will it work if someone doesnt buy a certain team? If you are playing them, and you have the map, will the map be a possibility? Will it depend on whether you go first or second?
06-26-2012, 03:52 AM
Whoever sets up the game picks the map. If they own it, you can use it.

League games happen on randomly selected maps (since they're more competitive, no one gets to choose where). That can be any map in the game, even ones you don't own.
06-26-2012, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 04:45 AM by ArtNJ.)
(06-26-2012 03:52 AM)oneadamleft Wrote:  Whoever sets up the game picks the map. If they own it, you can use it.

League games happen on randomly selected maps (since they're more competitive, no one gets to choose where). That can be any map in the game, even ones you don't own.

Sounds like a very smart and fair way to do it.

On the subject of monetization, I strongly suggest you guys look at Hero Academy's use of team colors and avatars as ways to raise additional cash. People definitely will pay for that -- its easy to see that Hero Academy has probably made thousands from it -- and with Adam's skills, I'm sure you could have some kicking avatars and some cool looking team color schemes.

The adorables in black and/or with an evil looking avatar might not offend my cuteness radar quite so badly Smile
06-26-2012, 05:46 AM
(06-26-2012 04:44 AM)ArtNJ Wrote:  On the subject of monetization, I strongly suggest you guys look at Hero Academy's use of team colors and avatars as ways to raise additional cash. People definitely will pay for that -- its easy to see that Hero Academy has probably made thousands from it -- and with Adam's skills, I'm sure you could have some kicking avatars and some cool looking team color schemes.

No. Just no. I dislike Hero Academy for many reasons and this is one of them. Selling colors for IAP just seems greedy to me.
Avatars seem abused in Hero Academy to me. Game Center supports a user-provided picture which is accessible to the game, but instead of using it, it is made into an IAP-thing. It just feels wrong to me to do this.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
06-26-2012, 07:18 AM
(06-26-2012 05:46 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Avatars seem abused in Hero Academy to me.

how so? Are they not optional?

Quote:Game Center supports a user-provided picture which is accessible to the game

Great for word/facebook games. Ready-made avatars are nice because it doesn't break the aesthetic of the game (something we care for a lot). I've pictured Outwitters with GC pictures. Flashes of myspace come to mind, as well as a high percentage having blank pictures. Not to mention the administrative headache for 'inappropriate' avatars.
06-26-2012, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 07:38 AM by Kamikaze28.)
(06-26-2012 07:18 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
(06-26-2012 05:46 AM)Kamikaze28 Wrote:  Avatars seem abused in Hero Academy to me.

how so? Are they not optional?
You have no option to disable them - they are there whether you want one or not - so in this sense, they are mandatory. Buying additional ones is optional of course in the same way as buying new teams is optional. Hero Academy also sells all of these things separately - avatars are bundled, but separately from the teams.
The definition of 'optional' really degrades from an absolute property to gradation here ...

(06-26-2012 07:18 AM)onealexleft Wrote:  
Quote:Game Center supports a user-provided picture which is accessible to the game
Great for word/facebook games. Ready-made avatars are nice because it doesn't break the aesthetic of the game (something we care for a lot). I've pictured Outwitters with GC pictures. Flashes of myspace come to mind, as well as a high percentage having blank pictures. Not to mention the administrative headache for 'inappropriate' avatars.
I hadn't considered inappropriate or missing avatars and the aesthetics of the game. Those are valid points that I can respect.
In the case of Hero Academy however, I strongly object. In the version I played they used Comic Sans as their chat font. I can hardly believe that they used pre-made IAP avatars to keep the game's aesthetic coherent when they chose such a bad font for their badly implemented chat.

I am in no way affiliated with or authorized by One Man Left Studios, LLC.
Any information on Outwitters I present is founded on personal experience, public knowledge or the Outwitters Beta Test.
06-26-2012, 12:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-26-2012 12:46 PM by ArtNJ.)
I dont want to argue, so I'll just reiterate that a lot of people would pay for additional optional avatar choices and additional optional team color choices.

My 7 year old thought the art in some of the optional IAP Hero Academy avatars was so bad ass he saved up his tiny allowance and paid for some himself.

The default avatars also feature cool art, its just that everyone has them. It is totally optional if you want to be a little different in cosmetic appearance.
06-26-2012, 05:00 PM
i think different appearances can be optional to buy, although i think the kind of situation where there is so much to the game that you can only access by buying should be avoided. also i really hope outwitters can become popular and have a big competitive scene :).