Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
+1 Wits: Why is it a mistake?
11-25-2012, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2012 03:04 PM by Razcrux.)
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake?
I really like the change. First it promotes higher health units, which is good because runner-spamming was too pivotal before. Secondly it allows for more wits to be generated/saved, which means more special units, more often, and this will help to allow the teams to really show their differences more often. Before it was tough to get to 7 wits if the pressure was continuous, now even with pressure you can get a special unit, if you think it's worth it.

Next point id like to make is that it isn't going to destabilize the game, very low risk, because its the same for both players. All the teams are the same, minus the specials. Only the utility worth of the specials will be impacted. It could be that because the scally cannon can hit an area, that it could now be stronger since it can generate multiple wits. But on the other hand, more wits also means easier to circumvent/break into on counters.

More wits would make player 1 stronger, but the additional 3 wits player two gets are substantial; and should more than offset this. If there is a tweak to do, it would be in the number of wits player 2 gets.

I agree that map balance is required, but map balance is an extension of game balance. If wits are earned for kills, you want to establish that rule change first, then balance maps. No point balancing maps and then changing the wits for kills as then you have to rebalance maps.

I still think that each team should have more than one special unit, and that additional special unit should be cheap (between 3 and 5 wits) to make. It would really help to increase the depth of the game even further.

Oh and lastly, more wits means more options. And that is an excellent thing. More options equals more ways to outwit your opponent. It isn't more complex, unless you make it to be complex by trying to guess more possible plays. But like before scouting the fog is the key to winning; and when that fails, using your intuition.

So long story short, I don't see how this change could be anything but Good. If it does turn out that one team is a bit better now, a very small tweak would fix that. If player 1 or 2 is doing too well, again a small tweak. If a map is not even, again a small surgical change. I can't see how any potential problems can't be resolved by small tweaks. You just review the stats, formulate the smallest change you can make that will target the problem as specifically as possible, implement them in small iterations, and remeasure. Perfection is just a question of patience. It's far from broken!

More options = goodness!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
+1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - CombatEX - 11-23-2012, 10:52 AM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - AJaW96 - 11-23-2012, 11:20 AM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - Harti - 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - Gf!sh - 11-24-2012, 04:01 AM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - daHsu - 11-24-2012, 04:47 AM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - Razcrux - 11-25-2012 03:02 PM
RE: +1 Wits: Why is it a mistake? - Emuchu - 11-26-2012, 06:04 AM