Poll: Is total points really due to player activity alone?
Yes.
No.
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Is total points really due to player activity alone?
11-08-2012, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2012 07:14 AM by joelduque.)
Is total points really due to player activity alone?
My purpose of this thread is to rectify what I perceive as a grossly errorneous idea propagated by others. Pertinent discussion welcome.

I find it amusing that other members imply or even bluntly state that total points is just due to activity alone. So if you play along their line of reasoning, the more you play, the more your total points is. Well, that statement is true. I know where they are coming from. I am aware of the so-called win bias, wins adding more points than losses subtracting less points for the similar skill level. Based on my experience, this is currently at about +18 for a win and -12 for a loss at a similar skill level. Win bias is a related but essentially different topic.

But I beg to disagree that points is due to activity alone. It is also due to skill! Do you think people will keep on playing this wonderful and awesome game if their points is nothing but a sign of their activity? Well, I don't think so! People play this game for fun and also to feel good about themselves. They play to accumulate as much points as they can, to the best of their abilities. Competition. Yes, that is the very nature of league games. People continuously play to become better and because they believe they are much more skilled than the average player. That they are good, better, or even the best!

I don't know for others, but I find the claim that total points is due to player activity alone very much annoying if not downright insulting. I am speaking for myself alone. I do not agree with umbrella statements that belittle the achievements of all players, from the wild card unrankeds, humblest of fluffies to the mightiest of the super-titans.

In addition, such statements basically undermine the choice of the developers of an appropriate ranking system for the game. Yes, the current ranking and points system may not be perfect. Still, these claims essentially downgrade the player rankings to nothing but a ranking of player activity! I do not know about you but for me any ranking system without an element of skill is invalid especially in the context of league games, "Battle players of similar SKILL." It never said, "Battle players of similar ACTIVITY."

For me, these statements are demoralizing even if in my heart I know them to be untrue. So I am only just one player. But what more about other players whom you consciously or unconsciously were able to convince that Outwitters is nothing more than a game based only on activity. They could become less enthusiastic about keeping on playing the game. So now, can you take responsibility for such statements? Taking out fun from the other players playing the game. You could be more responsible. I just believe you could be more responsible and truthful at the same time.

Total points is also due to skill. To prove this, let me show a good example. Assuming there is an uber active player. Bought the 35 games limit. All 35 game slots always fully loaded with 1v1 league games. The player takes his turns at once and sends them all back to the server in a jiffy. But no matter what he does, he just loses all his games. So his points remain at 0 (or even negative if the system allows it). You cannot say he is inactive just because he has a score of 0. Furthermore, the score of 0 can mean a lot of things. It can exist across all leagues; I have seen it at different times in the various leagues.

So to summarize my point, total points is not solely determined by player activity! It is also determined by player skill! Don't just believe in me or other people. Think for yourself. That's the best.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Is total points really due to player activity alone? - joelduque - 11-08-2012 04:55 AM