Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Differences/Comparison With Hero Academy
05-10-2012, 09:27 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2012 09:32 PM by ArtNJ.)
RE: Differences/Comparison With Hero Academy
Thanks Alex. The lack of a luck factor (fog of war doesnt count as luck imho), built in support for 2 v 2 and leagues are all very nice distinguishing features. I and many others like to know how rankings are calculated, but as long as its not a pure ladder in the traditionally idiotic form, and it sounds like its not with the Elo element, its all good.

As far as time controls, no I dont exactly mean games expiring after inactivity. Hero Academy has that, uncustomizable and its fairly useless. I mean something more like the system that the asynch card game Ascendancy uses, where each player has a clock that ticks when its their turn, and the player starting the match can create a game with total time on the "clock" of anywhere from 10 minutes (essentially a live game) to 14 days.

Ascendancy's total time method is handy. However, being able to set the time per move is handy as well. For example, being able to chose 1 day per move, 3 days per move, etc... This is your "time control" for the game.

The Hero Academy league I co-run uses a max of 5 days per move. However, this works only because we allow players to post how often they move when looking for matches, and players are expected (code of honor) to try and honor what they posted as far as how often they will move. We dont enforce the code of honor, we just tell folks dont play them again if your not happy. We also allow players to take more than 5 days if they announce a special situation. We have not had any real complaints using this system, but built in support for flexible time controls is far preferable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Differences/Comparison With Hero Academy - ArtNJ - 05-10-2012 09:27 PM