Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
08-18-2012, 09:12 AM
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin
(08-18-2012 01:13 AM)P1noyboypj Wrote:  In regards to ties giving lower rated person points: From playing various other games competetively, it further discourages players from playing very low rates players. Risk doesn't justify reward. Keep in mind this is if two games are played

In regards to FTA in general, I'm just suggesting there's another option to FTA. Just make maps balances or make rated games in pairs. Sometimes lowering FTA would make p2 the new white in some cases.

And no I'm not contradicting myself. I'm just throwing multiple options out there...

Yes that's true if leagued players could just challenge whomever they wished. But that is not the case here, you get matched up against someone similar in ratings to you. So a 1-1 tie would ultimately be -2 points or something, maybe -4 at best, for the higher rated played (i.e., -13 for the loss and +11 for the win).

I actually do like this idea, but as it was mentioned it may ward off casual players. Perhaps it should be implemented only for ST vs ST games, I don't know.

That last Chess quote makes me think about the game of Go for those familiar with it. White clearly has the advantage in Go, but it was not as large in the past. This is similar to Outwitters, FTA was not as large when we all first started playing. But as we all play more and get better, we can better take advantage of the FTA to the point it already is now.

To deal with this, black starts with a set amount of points called a "komi". When Go first started, this was set to 2.5 points. It has since increased to 3.5, 4.5, 5.5, 6.5, and apparently now it is even 7.5 which I didn't know about until I just read it.

As the last poster said, the problem arises from the fact that there really are no draws in Outwitters (has anyone experienced one?). This means that if two completely even skilled players are pitted against each other, and one HAS to be deemed a winner, it's going to be P1. And this is exactly the problem, as the community gets better and better, we will inevitably reach this point with no adjustments to FTA.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FTA Bonus on Highlevel Games means nearly Autowin - awpertunity - 08-18-2012 09:12 AM