Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ranking Nonsense - Living in Parallel Universes
08-05-2012, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2012 07:44 PM by calmon.)
Ranking Nonsense - Living in Parallel Universes
With this topic I try to explain the paradoxes around outwitters ranking system.

The big problem is that the game uses two completely different mechanism to reflect player ranking, one 'official' pointsystem for the ladder and one hidden Skillsystem were matchmaking and point increase/decrease is based on. This 2 systems drift away massively!

The big painpoints:

Players on Top of the hidden Skill List get matched up against each other and NOT against the players around his place in the pointlists! Wich means 1st of pointbased division may far worse than 15th and the 15th is not able to even get a matchup with 1st because 15th skill is far better to get matched with the worse 1st.
So if the 15th is in reality better, get match ups with equal skill level player why did he have a far worse official ranking? And why is it so much more difficult to increase his points (better players as opponents). A paradox!

Players like Reggae King in my division (13th with 284 points) is 7th in the top100 list. This guy is now in 7 games against me (3rd pointwise with 1.299 points, 8th in top100). So this means while the 1st in my division (wonderpug with 1.370 points and 94th in top 100) get machtups against players around his 94th-skill ranking the 14th of the point list needs to play against me exclusively? Reggae King is good so why the official ranking is not reflecting it (like the hidden list does!)?
Instead in case he will ever get matched with wonderpug and he would win 1 game and lose 1 game he would have a point increase near 0 while wonderpug would get some points out of it because the increase/decrease of points is based on the hidden skill ranking (in case of 2 equal skilled players one win and one loss would both give a small increase pointwise). 2nd Paradox.

Third problem and in moment MY biggest problem: I don't get any match ups at all! See this thread. I've 5 games now in queues since 36 hours! I even have less than 20 games now so I could fill more games in this queue.
Also I play 3 different players exclusively: (Alvendor, ReggaeKing and another one). Nobody else! The matchmaking seems far to strict.

In moment the best way to came out of this is... LOSING! Losing isn't bad here, it would help going top in my division! If I give up all my games I would lose a lot of points sure but after that I'm out of top100 probably and so I COULD play, have far better win chance and my pointloss get topped by a far better point win: remember the fact that winning give around 50% more points on avarage than the losing player lose.
When I need to lose to increase in ranking (or even to find opponents) this makes it clearly paradox number 3.

All in all I'm dissatisfied about this system actually and hopefully the developers get aware of the problem soon. In moment I feel like living in one prallel universe filled with some people from different divisions and random point rankings. Other parallel universes exists with other players with random points rankings as well.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ranking Nonsense - Living in Parallel Universes - calmon - 08-05-2012 07:06 PM