Poll: Have you ever played Hero Academy?
Yes - a lot
Yes - a little
No, never
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.71 Average
Have you ever played Hero Academy?
08-14-2012, 10:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2012 10:30 AM by stevewastaken.)
RE: Have you ever played Hero Academy?
On the Undo feature:

Undo is not the problem. It's actually a partial fix to a problem. The problem is that the fix is only partial. So Undo lets you try a million different attacks to your heart's content, and you never have to do any math, and that's great. What Undo can't show you is what your opponent can do on his turn.

So once you have a few possible attacks that look like good possibilities, you have to break out a calculator and do the math on every possible counter attack. Then Undo, try your next possibility, then do the math on every possible counter to THAT one. So on, and so on. It takes a lot of time, and isn't fun. When 1 game can last 80 turns sometimes, it can get tedious just to achieve 1 win. Not to mention the developers continue to add more and more complexities to the math. By the time I quit, each turn began to feel like homework.

On TF2:

I actually quit HA because of TF2. Sure HA was getting a little old, and Outwitters was about to come out, but it was the announcement of the TF2 team that really drove me away. It completely destroys the world of the game. Gameplay is not just balance and stats. It's the player's experience with a game. This includes other elements, like artwork, and world immersion. For me, the gameplay was irreparably damaged.

(08-10-2012 03:38 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Perhaps I would feel differently if I was a TF2 fan, but alas, I have never played the game. I should give it a try I guess...I do own the Orange Box.

Nah, I was a hardcore TFC player back in the day. I also played TF2 and thought it was pretty decent. That doesn't help my feelings about the TF2 team being in HA though.

Outwitters vs. HA:

There are a few things I like a little better about HA. The animations are smoother in HA. Cheating and bugs aren't as much of an issue in HA. The player run league (no thanks to the HA developers) figured out how to negate FTA.

Other than these things, Outwitters is a better game in about every possible way. For example, it makes me giggle a little when people complain about not being able to remember what happened earlier in an Outwitters game. First of all, there is replay. Go back 1 turn and watch. Second, try HA. You might have a brain aneurism trying to remember what happened earlier in an HA game.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have you ever played Hero Academy? - stevewastaken - 08-14-2012 10:21 AM