Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gameplay commentary: map Peekaboo
07-11-2012, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 08:09 AM by Alvendor.)
Gameplay commentary: map Peekaboo
Thought I'd share a recent game I played. Hopefully some can get some tips from it or suggest how I can improve my play. I would also find it interesting if other people shared there replays with commentaries of certain openings, plays etc.

Background: I have been playing my fair share of Outwitters since it was released and is ranked #5 in masters. I don't think my opponent Harti needs an introduction on this forum. We have played 2 games before this one and he kicked my butt quite easily in both of them.

In game replay Here

This is how I experienced the situations at the time:

Turn1:
Ok I know my opponent has more experience than me so I don't want a long game as I am more likely to make a mistake than he is. I have the first turn advantage which is excellent. My plan is to really think through every move I make and take advantage of my FTA by going full frontal and attack on the right side where he is weaker (as his spawn point is top).

I can either take the bonus space with the heavy or the soldier. I prefer the soldier, as the heavy is too immobile to do anything else than guard that space. I also move my medic to my spawn point (common move) and create a new soldier. I move my heavy straight forward as I want to cover the distance as fast as possible.

Turn 3:
I move my soldier and see his runner but I can't see his soldier so I assume its still behind the bush. Now I get a plan; I can move my heavy forward/right, take a 2 health runner and kill his runner. Then in turn 4 he will take my runner with his soldier and I can take his soldier with my heavy in turn 5.

Turn 5
Instead of using his mid soldier he creates a new one and takes my runner. Doesn't matter to me. I take his soldier with my heavy. I put a runner top of my heavy to protect it from soldier/snipe combo.

Turn 7
Now my original plan was to attack the right side, but it actually looks like I can continue pressing on top so I kill his soldier. Notice how he can't afford to move his heavy as I continuously apply pressure.

Turn 9
Crap! I am so used to playing against Bombshells, that he had Scramblers didn't even enter my mind. Oh well, I kill the scrambler and the heavy he just turned.

Turn 11
Double Crap! I haven't thought this through, his sniper will kill me. I'd better retreat! (At this point I consider my chances of winning very poor).

Turn 13
Ok now I can either defend or try to push the right side. His sniper is very slow so I might have a chance, plus, attacking is more fun.

Turn 15
I kill his medic with my runner and move another runner to the middle to pick off a sniper next turn. I reposition my soldiers to force his heavy to retreat.

Turn 17
He killed my runner, I try with another runner but use a medic on it first. Taking his bonus space is too dangerous so I stand ground with my soldiers. Every round that space is neutral I'm gaining. Things are looking good again.

Turn 19
Now I can kill off a sniper and start zeroing in on his base.

Turn 21
I move in with runner and soldiers

Turn 22
Game finished

This game is a good example of how first turn advantage can be used by pressuring the opponent constantly. At turn 8-12 I almost lost the game due to good defense by the opponent. Had he got a few extra wits for starting second my steamrolling strategy wouldn't have worked as good as it did.

Soldier spam FTW
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Gameplay commentary: map Peekaboo - Alvendor - 07-11-2012 08:05 AM