Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Enhancement request: dry-run mode
07-15-2013, 03:52 AM
RE: Enhancement request: dry-run mode
(07-15-2013 01:44 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  So, with this feature this game would become too easy, just play again and again until you like your move, without really thinking. Seeing a move is better than thinking about it to analyze what will happen, so it would remove the chess-like interest of this game.

I agree that it will be easier to make a high quality turn. Or it will take much less time to plan out the same quality of turn. The time spent planning a turn is what I care about more. At high-level play, this could help with burnout (what I'm approaching). Having a tool like I'm describing would probably increase the play level of even STs because more time would be spent on looking ahead multiple turns rather than primarily on the current turn.

In chess, each turn has only one move, but in outwitters a turn typically includes multiple plays, so it is more difficult than chess in that respect. Hero's academy is similar to outwitters with respect to this and does have the ability to easily try multiple possibilities for a turn. I'm a fan of this and I guess you aren't.

(07-15-2013 01:44 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  And, alex/adam are only on TTL2 now, I highly doubt they will spend time on this
You are probably right.

(07-15-2013 01:51 AM)Spillblood Wrote:  Or do it alternatively: cut out a tracing paper over the map and start plotting moves like a general!

Yep. I like the analogy. What I'm talking about is one of many ways of plotting out moves, but I think it is the most usable. In addition to tracing on a paper, here are a few other ways:
* pass n play. This is very tedious to setup and try for each possibility.
* a separate app or website (like osn) where you could setup a scenario and try different turns. I suggested this to osn but he said this would be out of scope.
* simulation in your brain
* using generic hex grid paper on some generic hex grid software
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enhancement request: dry-run mode - Thrutchy - 07-15-2013 03:52 AM