Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
P2 Avoiding Medic loss on Glitch and Peekaboo
02-23-2013, 02:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2013 03:40 PM by Ja Karta.)
RE: P2 Avoiding Medic loss on Glitch and Peekaboo
Was looking at various strats recently myself. If you look at some ST replays you'll see some ways things are dealt with >90% of the time that means spawning a runner (at least on Glitch).
You'll need one eventually anyway and it does help you get a special out that much sooner. Not so terrible.

But you *don't* have to protect your medic. You just have to protect your resources.
On Peekaboo, for example, I don't move my medic the first turn. Spawn a soldier and leave him there. Move/leave the non-capping unit beneath the closest central column (I prefer heavy, because it centralizes him and he has low move).
Both things I'd do anyway (important!).

So what happens if they kill my medic with a runner? It's wit positive.
+1 for Runner -2 for Medic +2 for runner moves -0 for Soldier/Heavy kill & move [they don't move] -0 for Medic move [same]
Net: +1 wit difference
(a whopping +2 and lost turn of buff if they boosted the runner; which happens in the gifted leagues, not relevant to higher leagues I'm pretty sure)

Because I didn't have to move my units to kill the runner the exchange is actually wit efficient for me. And it has no effect on unit count. It's unit count neutral. If you moved your medic first it would be wit neutral. (discounting early spying utility, which is generally slim) If you moved your medic and had to move units somewhere you wouldn't otherwise put them to retaliate then the outcome would be wit negative.

The downside is that you don't buff a unit on your first turn, but I'm okay with that. I'll take an unbuffed soldier over a buffed runner in a rush generally and I'll not take a 2/3 wit buff (effectively) on a harass.

You could use the same strategy for glitch (take with heavy, don't move medic on first turn), but I currently prefer to use an even awesomer strategy that I shamelessly lifted from a Necrocat replay (I actually reviewed a few ST replays because nothing satisfactory jumped out at me awhile back). It only works for Feedback though. [Edit: I assume this is what Ryzuma was referring to above me.]

http://osn.codepenguin.com/replays/view/...20YvabWAgw

(I didn't really like the cap with a 1hp runner approach that most P2 glitch openings use. The runner generally got ganked pretty early it seemed and it just wasn't especially exciting. : )

More experienced players please feel free to correct my math or thinking if you think I've made a mistake. Danke. Smile

Ja Karta: Master League Long Shadow division
w/Niloc 1308 & Buzz Killingtun: Master League Hidden Owl & Proud Turtle divisions
Happy to accept friendlies! (Could use the practice. ; )
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: P2 Avoiding Medic loss on Glitch and Peekaboo - Ja Karta - 02-23-2013 02:52 PM