Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
OSN Data Sharing Initiative
03-12-2014, 09:12 AM
RE: OSN Data Sharing Initiative
(03-12-2014 06:07 AM)Gullsjakal Wrote:  I am very upset about the fact that all the Friendly games I have played over the last few weeks were automatically posted to OSN. One of the conditions I insist on before I will play a Friendly game with anybody is that all players agree that the game will NOT be posted to OSN. Did you even stop to consider that people may be testing out opening lines for league games they are currently playing? Is there a way I can have all my Friendly games you posted to OSN purged? Is there a way I can opt-out of having my Friendly games automatically posted to OSN in the future?

No one will actually do this. It's just to cumbersome. But maybe OSN should only autopost league matches.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Honestly thanks a lot this is a great update Big Grin

Everyone complaining about ur replays being public I don't see the problem
Outwitters is about adapting if you are planing to run the same strategy every map you deserve the loss Tongue

You can rip the wings and the horn off a Mobi and try to force it to be a normal whale..But deep down the the Mobi will always be a mobi and you can never hide the scabs Never let anyone try to force you to change!
03-12-2014, 09:30 AM
(03-12-2014 08:58 AM)awpertunity Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 08:28 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  Dude, I mostly just throw ping pong balls at my iPad to play this game. Tongue

1000s of monkeys throwing 1000s of ping pong balls at the screen can beat poweewee/LER4T.

Now I kinda wish my GCID was poweewee/LER4T.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-12-2014, 09:46 AM
(03-12-2014 09:15 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  Honestly thanks a lot this is a great update Big Grin

Outwitters is about adapting if you are planing to run the same strategy every map you deserve the loss Tongue

This is what I mean. Always switch it up. Be unpredictable (and in my case, wildly inconsistent).

Btw, changing GCID to poweewee/LER4T (not really)

GCID: FrozenNorthernKid
1v1, 2v2 w/baustin42, w/spacechef Gifted League
2v2 random, w/ Extreme Ghost, w/ izzilla Master League
------------------------------------------------
"So it goes." - Kurt Vonnegut, 'Slaughterhouse Five'
03-12-2014, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 10:54 AM by SuperDonkey.)
(03-12-2014 09:09 AM)jchris98 Wrote:  Second thing. There is nothing to stop you from looking at their games to try to find their strategy too.

(03-12-2014 07:07 AM)SuperDonkey Wrote:  The point here is that some people play against a friend, in a friendly, to test out strategies in an ongoing League match (perhaps even a placement match). If you're in the middle of a placement match and all of a sudden 20 games get posted under your name on the same board against the same person, all your opponent has to do is log on and take a look. He can tell 1) exactly what you have and where; 2) what you think he has and where; 3) what strategies you're planning in future turns; 4) what strategies you think he is planning or should use.

Now, therefore, this tool is useless for the purpose to which some were putting it. That's fine--we'll have to devise some other way of doing this. However, since all of us were 'outed' without warning (so to speak), if we were in the middle of a game it has now been compromised. We can't go back and remove the information which was disseminated.

Not cool.

I think that it is sort of cheating to try out things with a friend in an ongoing league match. It's 1v1 not 1v2.

I am not unsympathetic to this point of view. For instance, I was surprised that Supertitans were doling out advice freely on a hard-fought 110 turn game (Any idea on how to beat a turtler?). However, fact is there are no rules about getting help, or practicing with a sparring buddy, or getting a team together to try to reach Supertitan, or any number of other things that aren't technically 1v1. Don't take 1v1 too literally; it specifies a format, not an implied rule book.

(03-12-2014 09:46 AM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 09:15 AM)Extreme Ghost Wrote:  Honestly thanks a lot this is a great update Big Grin

This is what I mean. Always switch it up. Be unpredictable (and in my case, wildly inconsistent).

DemonWind66 and Extreme Ghost--

Intriguing comments, but I'm not sure you read the thread very carefully. You appear to think the point is: (A) We are pissed because we want to use the same strategy map after map and don't want anyone to know it. However, the points are: (1) Friendlies cannot be used for a certain purpose any longer, which was a feature that was very nice to have; and (2) if you were using it for this purpose when the update occurred, you are screwed. Well, kinda screwed.

I'm quite open to taking seriously fair critiques of this position (i.e. jchris98's comment), but this one doesn't seem relevant. No offense--I just want that to be clear for those really interested in the discussion.

SD
03-12-2014, 10:52 AM
The point we are trying to make is that developing strats isn't as useful as you think. A lot of the best strats have been used and reused, so mastering these is not that great, since people expect to see them and are ready to counter. The best strats are invented on the fly, since no one sees them coming. So I don't much care if people can watch my replays, since I probably don't even remember what I did. And if someone cares about beating me enough to hardcore research my play, honestly, I'm flattered.

I understand your concern, since you're trying to test just a couple things out secretly, but I don't think it's as big a deal as you think.

03-12-2014, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 10:58 AM by .Memories..)
(03-12-2014 10:52 AM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  The point we are trying to make is that developing strats isn't as useful as you think. A lot of the best strats have been used and reused, so mastering these is not that great, since people expect to see them and are ready to counter. The best strats are invented on the fly, since no one sees them coming. So I don't much care if people can watch my replays, since I probably don't even remember what I did. And if someone cares about beating me enough to hardcore research my play, honestly, I'm flattered.

I understand your concern, since you're trying to test just a couple things out secretly, but I don't think it's as big a deal as you think.

He's not saying he cares about mastering currently popular strategies with friendlies; he is saying that he wants to try new, currently unknown strategies and he wants to keep them secret so that he can use them effectively in league.

I agree that friendlies should not automatically be uploaded to OSN, but for more than just this reason.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
03-12-2014, 10:59 AM
@SD Why can't friendlies be used to practice strategies out? I don't see how thay can't be used in that way? Still

And I don't see how ppl were screwed by there friendlys were added to the updated so some one seen a vid of a bunch of matches between you and a buddy on the same map your playing them on
Even if the vid was an almost exact re-make of the game ur playing with them any one that dives into FOW based on what thay seen in a vid with out scouting can easily end up making a game losing mistake and if thay scout the vid didn't realy matter ...

Either way Alex said he was making a button for it XD

You can rip the wings and the horn off a Mobi and try to force it to be a normal whale..But deep down the the Mobi will always be a mobi and you can never hide the scabs Never let anyone try to force you to change!
03-12-2014, 10:59 AM (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014 11:01 AM by Demon.)
(03-12-2014 10:56 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(03-12-2014 10:52 AM)Demonwind66 Wrote:  The point we are trying to make is that developing strats isn't as useful as you think. A lot of the best strats have been used and reused, so mastering these is not that great, since people expect to see them and are ready to counter. The best strats are invented on the fly, since no one sees them coming. So I don't much care if people can watch my replays, since I probably don't even remember what I did. And if someone cares about beating me enough to hardcore research my play, honestly, I'm flattered.

He's not saying he cares about mastering currently popular strategies with friendlies; he is saying that he wants to try new, currently unknown strategies and he wants to keep them secret so that he can use them effectively in league.

I agree that friendlies should not automatically be uploaded to OSN.
I suppose I can't really relate to this as I just make things up as I go.

And I agree with Ghost that if you base your decisions on what you've seen a player do in replays, you're opening yourself up to disaster.

03-12-2014, 11:00 AM
At least in our clan, we make it a point that you shouldn't be posting screen shots and asking for help about an on going game. Once the game is over, or before the game starts everything is fair, but during the game it should be between the two people playing.

While you're free to play out your friendly to try and figure out strategy for your league games, I really doubt that most players are taking the time to look through your replays and seeing what you're doing. I highly doubt any current Super Titan plays the game this way, as I've played against some that send their turn back immediately, not leaving them enough time to actually do what you're suggesting.

[Image: sig.png]