Poll: Good idea?
Yes!
No. Sad
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sandbox mode?
02-26-2014, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 11:04 AM by awpertunity.)
RE: Sandbox mode?
(02-15-2014 01:54 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  it could be a paid feature. We'd still have tons of people buying it.

lol, what is this based on? We'd have maybe 18 people buying it that visit the forums. Nobody who plays Outwitters casually on their phone, who doesn't visit these forums, which is the vast majority of players, would not buy this in my opinion.

Ah, combat beat me to it in a much more detailed explanation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2014, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014 01:28 PM by jchris98.)
(02-26-2014 10:50 AM)CombatEX Wrote:  Who wouldn't want this? It's not really a question of who wants sandbox but of what is pragmatic for Alex and Adam. As Alex said in regards to a non-async ("live") Outwitters mode, there are many features that would be good for the game in an ideal world, but from a business perspective it doesn't make sense. Still, I'm glad this was brought up as it's important to convey what features the community finds important so they can be considered in the event that OML makes a sequel.

In response to the notion that making this an iAP for Outwitters or a separate app which would recoup and hopefully exceed production costs, I'm not so sure this is the case. How many people would really buy this? As we can see from this thread, "everyone" would love a sandbox mode, but how many people would pay for one? Firstly, "everyone" is 21 people (at the time of posting) so it's hard to really know the broader demand and secondly, sandbox can already be somewhat replicated either in pass and play or on Harti's map creator. Though an in-app sandbox would be far more convenient, it isn't an absolute necessity due to free alternatives and not all players who want a sandbox mode will be compelled enough to buy one just for the sake of convenience. Now, even assuming that everyone really does buy the iAP/companion app instead of using free workarounds, it's not clear that OML would make enough for it to be worth it.

The following are some very rough approximates extrapolating from the $300,000 production cost in 1.75 years used to make Outwitters. If sandbox mode costs $1 and 100% of active Outwitters players buy it (I believe ~5000-7000 daily unique users as of a month or two ago), then OML would have to spend no more than ~2 weeks to break even. Now, some of the $300,000 figure can be discounted as OML doesn't have to pay for custom sounds and a host of other things that were necessary in producing Outwitters. Even if we cut expected costs in half ($150,000/1.75 years), OML would have to spend no more than 1 month producing this content under the assumption that ALL (100%) of currently active Outwitters players buy it at a $1 price point (half of players at a $2 price point, etc). And this is just to break even. Maybe it's possible and this is just speculation based on very limited information, but basically, don't get your hopes up =/

Exactly what I was thinking, just far more eloquently put.
Edit: only person who voted no? Seriously?

[Image: sig.png]
02-26-2014, 02:47 PM
(02-26-2014 01:26 PM)jchris98 Wrote:  Edit: only person who voted no? Seriously?

I declined to vote because I think it would be fun, but at the same time it is not practical to develop. I have thought that from the beginning.

GC: TheGreatAnt
02-27-2014, 06:49 AM
(02-26-2014 02:47 PM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 01:26 PM)jchris98 Wrote:  Edit: only person who voted no? Seriously?

I declined to vote because I think it would be fun, but at the same time it is not practical to develop. I have thought that from the beginning.

Right. I would rather them work on new teams or maps if they were going to develop outwitters further.

02-27-2014, 04:18 PM
(02-27-2014 06:49 AM)jchris98 Wrote:  
(02-26-2014 02:47 PM)TheGreatAnt Wrote:  

Right. I would rather them work on new teams or maps if they were going to develop outwitters further.

Precisely.

GC: TheGreatAnt
02-28-2014, 01:58 AM
Hmm. Maybe someone who knows how to code could take this up as a project? Maybe CodePenguin, if willing?

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

02-28-2014, 02:15 AM
(02-28-2014 01:58 AM)Bbobb555 Wrote:  Hmm. Maybe someone who knows how to code could take this up as a project? Maybe CodePenguin, if willing?

This in it of itself is a brilliant idea. We get the coders and the fans to make the new content that we keep asking for and present them to Adam and Alex. They can't really afford to make these updates for outwitters, but they could probably take what we make and integrate it into the game fairly easily.