Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing league repartition.
01-13-2014, 07:46 AM
RE: Changing league repartition.
No worries didger Smile

I did forget you were clever, so it's very interesting: are players in your division active? Do you meet a lot of different players?

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2014, 08:14 AM
For one, you don't only play against people in your own division, you just play other players in the same league. It's somewhat rare for me to encounter a player in my same division in a match.

I'm not sure if anyone remembers this but last year around this time there was kind of a mass promotion of Clever League players (myself included) into Gifted. A lot of players I was talking to mentioned that they'd been promoted for seemingly no reason at this time.

I think what happened is OML decided to move a lot of higher level Clevers in to Gifted for some reason.

So it should be easy enough to do the same thing in reverse: Move some of the lower level Gifted into Clever and the lower Clevers into Fluffy.

It might also be cool to move some of the higher level Gifted players into Masters, but that's just me hoping for a promotion Tongue I'd rather earn that the hard way anyways.

GameCenter: ElPared
Master League Crying Foot Master League

OSN Player Profile: ElPared -- I'm always posting both wins and losses, critiques welcome
01-13-2014, 08:16 AM
From when I was in clever the problem that I found was not meeting the same people over and over again, it was that around 25% of my games timed out.

01-13-2014, 08:49 AM
(01-13-2014 06:48 AM)amoffett11 Wrote:  I don't think it would be a very popular decision to take the lower half of the gifted players and just slot them into clever or fluffy.

"Hey, why did you just demote me two leagues?"

"because percentages, that's why!"

It would not be reasonable to separate leagues so that they have an even number of people, the leagues are designed so that people of similar skill level will be together, and the current system, as it represents a bell curve, is what you should expect.

The best way to fix this problem IMO is to change the demotion algorithm so that it is easier to get demoted as gifted. This way, the number of gifted players will slowly go down, instead of a bunch of people suddenly getting demoted.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

01-13-2014, 09:32 AM
I still don't think anything needs to change.. Is that just me?

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
01-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Nothing needs to change, we just need more Outwitters players.

Live your life as more than plastic.
01-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I think Gifted really should be split in two.

RIP, these forums

Lost the game
LegacyofFive the goat

01-13-2014, 12:17 PM
Nothing needs to change. If I made a wish list with 100 things I'd like to see OML add/change to Outwitters, this would be near the bottom.

I would argue that the difference in skill level between low and high gifted is no wider than the difference between low and high ST, or low and high Master. It just happens that Gifted is where the majority of players land, which mathematically is what you'd expect.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
01-13-2014, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 02:44 PM by CodePenguin.)
Here is a bit of information about how the leaderboards work on OSN. I have an automated process that looks at recently posted replays on OSN and sees if the players are assigned to a league and division. If the division is not a known division then its information is loaded and from then on will be automatically uploaded once a day. This really only comes into play when a new Season is started (because all leaderboards are reset and everyone is put into brand new divisions) and when all the available divisions for a league fill up and a new division is created. I've got a few other scans that try to detect promotions and demotions each day so that if someone is put into a brand new division then OSN will be able to detect that because it sees that they were in a division the day before but are no longer in a known division.

Fluffy and Clever leagues are the hardest leagues to get to because they post replays as often as other leagues. The demotions scan picks up quite a few of these if a higher league player gets demoted down.

At the moment, that is the best I can do with the information I have access to. I hope that gives a little bit more insight into how it works.
01-13-2014, 05:24 PM
(01-13-2014 12:17 PM)amoffett11 Wrote:  Nothing needs to change. If I made a wish list with 100 things I'd like to see OML add/change to Outwitters, this would be near the bottom.

I would argue that the difference in skill level between low and high gifted is no wider than the difference between low and high ST, or low and high Master. It just happens that Gifted is where the majority of players land, which mathematically is what you'd expect.

You can't compare two leagues when one is 50 times bigger than the other. Also, since there is no league upon ST, it's normal that you can have level gap. There are only 50 ST's, so I think it's a fair amount of players who are very good. There are players who are better than "very good", but you can't put them elsewhere. It's not as in gifted, where there is master league beyond.

No offense of course, but it seems you aren't fully aware of the situation. Smile And, since you are ST, it's normal that you don't find it very important, you aren't concerned. I played against hundreds of gifted these past months, and sometimes the difference of level shocked me.

Another point I forgot got back to my mind thanks to jchris's post. All new players will probably go in fluffy or clever, and what will they meet there? A huge part of players timing out. If they are unlucky, all their games will be filled by timing out players. How many new players posted in this forum to say they couldn't play any game? Too many. By putting a part of gifted in clever, we would revive this league and give it interest, and make new player be willing to play because it would be motivating to meet players who actually send back their turns.

Memories, now it's my turn: Even after reading my post, you think no change is needed. Why? I don't say everyone should think like me ofc, but I indeed have difficulties to understand how you can just see the problems and say there is none. Smile

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)