Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing league repartition.
01-13-2014, 06:33 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 06:35 AM by .Memories..)
RE: Changing league repartition.
(01-13-2014 06:01 AM)didgeralien Wrote:  Perhaps OneManLeft could allow OSN to get a data dump at the beginning of each season to update the OSN database? However, the data is OML's, and they have every right to keep it to themselves. If they did wish to share it they could easily do a weekly update to OSN.

This already happens, but he can only pull in divisions that he knows of (i.e. from replays that are on OSN).

Magic... what are you hoping to get out of this? Why do you say that the number of Gifted players is way too much?

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2014, 06:48 AM
I don't think it would be a very popular decision to take the lower half of the gifted players and just slot them into clever or fluffy.

"Hey, why did you just demote me two leagues?"

"because percentages, that's why!"

It would not be reasonable to separate leagues so that they have an even number of people, the leagues are designed so that people of similar skill level will be together, and the current system, as it represents a bell curve, is what you should expect.

GC name: amoffett11
1v1 Super-Titan
2v2 with .Memories. and 2v2 random Master League

Until you stalk and overrun you can't devour anyone
01-13-2014, 06:56 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:14 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
Well, it seems that there are big level discrepancies in one league, that I noticed myself, which is not what you are saying amoffett. If all gifteds had kinda the same level, I wouldn't even have created this topic. But I can tell they're not. Smile When you have a tier system, it might be good to make all of them alive and worthy. Currently, fluffy and clever regroups all people that have very few interest for the game; the rest being in gifted. You don't see clever in the forum, I remember almost no clever/fluffy asked me for coaching, and so on. What I'm aiming at is seeing how we could improve the situation, it's not for my personal pleasure, memories.

Blizzard constantly aims at having accurate percentage for each league, so that each one is worthy and representative of the player's level. Surely Outwitters is by no mean at Starcraft's scale, but this spirit of classifying the players better shouldn't be neglected. Wink

Thus, being demoted wouldn't be seen as a sanction, because the level would be much higher in these two tiers that are fluffy and clever.

You can ask a...
[Image: 6BmXQqC.jpg]
(drawing by Chemoeum)

[Image: sig.png]
01-13-2014, 07:10 AM
(01-13-2014 06:56 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Thus, being demoted wouldn't be seen as a real demotion, because the level would be much higher in these two tiers that are fluffy and clever.

Definitely false. People who suddenly get a demotion and weren't expecting it would say, "what the...why this happen?" And those people would definitely see it as a demotion.

[Image: 257k5t3.jpg][Image: 33mq0s8.jpg]
If you don't get my jokes, it's because of Postmodernism.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-13-2014, 07:11 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:18 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
(01-13-2014 07:10 AM)TheGreatErenan Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 06:56 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  Thus, being demoted wouldn't be seen as a real demotion, because the level would be much higher in these two tiers that are fluffy and clever.

Definitely false. People who suddenly get a demotion and weren't expecting it would say, "what the...why this happen?" And those people would definitely see it as a demotion.

What you're saying would apply that OML did this huge change without saying anything to players before, lol Tongue

Perhaps alex has some datas that would contradict me, so I'm waiting for his post, (if he does post ^^). But if what I said in this topic proves true, that means a half of all Outwitters players are in one league out of 5, and that fluffy/clever are two almost-dead tiers, I don't see how one can say it's fine as is!

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-13-2014, 07:17 AM
(01-13-2014 06:56 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  What I'm aiming at is seeing how we could improve the situation, it's not for my personal pleasure, memories.

I wasn't suggesting that! I am just trying to get at what you think is actually wrong. Saying, "The amount of Gifted players is too high," is fairly vague. Why is it too high? What do you think is actually wrong? What would your suggestions fix?

What I'm getting at is: I don't see what the problem is.

[Image: sig.png][Image: 2q2lq9y.jpg]
01-13-2014, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:26 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
(01-13-2014 07:17 AM).Memories. Wrote:  
(01-13-2014 06:56 AM)Mag!cGuy Wrote:  What I'm aiming at is seeing how we could improve the situation, it's not for my personal pleasure, memories.

I wasn't suggesting that! I am just trying to get at what you think is actually wrong. Saying, "The amount of Gifted players is too high," is fairly vague. Why is it too high? What do you think is actually wrong? What would your suggestions fix?

What I'm getting at is: I don't see what the problem is.

Oh, sorry!

Well, to sum up: a half of all players are in one league out of 5. And all these players clearly don't have the same level. Clever and Fluffy are (I can't be very sure though!) probably pretty inactive, unpopulated. This is the problem I see, which, again, I can't be 100% sure of. I think that, if it really is true, something has to be done, to give value to the two bottom league and make the gifted league less heterogeneous.

Do you get my point? Smile

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-13-2014, 07:31 AM
At the very least, I'm playing a wide variety of players in gifted league 1v1 right now. In contrast, in masters 2v2 random, I play against/with a lot of the same players. Having more players in a league keeps things fresh.

Live your life as more than plastic.
01-13-2014, 07:34 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2014 07:35 AM by Mag!cGuy.)
(01-13-2014 07:31 AM)spacechef Wrote:  At the very least, I'm playing a wide variety of players in gifted league 1v1 right now. In contrast, in masters 2v2 random, I play against/with a lot of the same players. Having more players in a league keeps things fresh.

Gifted: 2552 players.
Master 2v2 random: 146 players.

Even if we removed 1K players from gifted, you'd have ridiclously more players in gifted, so still a lot variety. Big Grin

You can ask a...
(drawing by Chemoeum)

01-13-2014, 07:44 AM
I think I do understand now Mag!c. I am in the clever tier, and I assure you that I am not inactive. My only guess is that I don't know exactly how Adam and Alex use their algorithms to place people, and therefore it is confusing.

Mag!c, I never meant to imply you were blaming OSN or anyone. I apologize.

didgeralien
...winter is coming...