Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.86 Average
Outwitters Map Creator 1.2
01-12-2013, 01:52 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 01:53 PM by garcia1000.)
RE: Outwitters Map Creator 1.1
MAP DESIGN

If you want a fighty map, like Sweetie Plains where people fight over wit spaces, the rule is:

There must be at least one set of wit spaces that is equidistant (in terms of soldier 3-hex moves) to spawn points of both people.

If you want a rushy map, like Foundry, the rule is:

It must be possible to use two spawn points to attack one spawn point/the base efficiently.

All of the OML maps follow these rules except Reaper. Reaper is bad. Oh and Sharkfood Island too I guess. SFI is bad too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2013, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 02:13 PM by Ser Purple Wolf.)
(01-12-2013 11:13 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  What do you think of this map? I got the idea from Harti's Deserted Desert map, which is just an entire sheet of desert tiles, nothing else. Soooo this is pretty different for a forked map. Tongue

3 spawns! Lots of pressure points...too many?

[Image: 123.png]

I think three spawns is too many. I shaved down the edges some and shuffled units and wit spaces. I thought about explaining what I thought through text, but this was way easier.

[Image: 142.png]
I meant to put another unit over by the left spawn. Maps with two spawns usually have one of each unit and I forgot.

GC: Great Wolf Sif
01-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Hmm I like what you did but I still prefer my original version. Many interesting attack options.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
01-13-2013, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 01-13-2013 06:44 AM by GreatGonzales.)
Harti I think it's interesting that my favorite map of yours is not your highest rated. I would love to play on Walk the Plank!

[Image: 13.png]

Though I suppose feedback would have a hard time. Seems like that is a common theme in these custom maps.

It'll be GG when you're up against GG of GG.
01-13-2013, 06:58 AM
(01-13-2013 06:41 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Harti I think it's interesting that my favorite map of yours is not your highest rated. I would love to play on Walk the Plank!
It is my favorite, too! ^^
Also wondered what criteria appears to be important for the voting impulse people do or do not have when viewing a map. Personally, I also thought that my "deserted desert" fun map was actually pretty funny. However it ended up in the mediocre area. Big Grin

I think for Outwitters it is even harder to judge a map. We had a (really bland) map editor for AWBW and we were quite able to tell where the frontlines were going to be just by looking at them. Interestingly enough this is not the case for Outwitters as there barely are frontlines and if there are any, it's usually a bad stalemate map.

Quote:Though I suppose feedback would have a hard time. Seems like that is a common theme in these custom maps.
Feedback is the strongest on single-spawn maps. I personally despise single-spawn maps as they're simply too much about who gets to decrease the enemy unit count first and then (or while) overrun(ning) them with 4HP Soldiers. Hence I'm unlikely to create some on the map editor. Smile

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
01-13-2013, 08:01 AM
(01-12-2013 05:42 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  
(01-12-2013 05:29 AM)worldfamous Wrote:  Just finished my first map. The wit spaces are definitely different and I didn't really spend any time looking for flaws. Anyway, here is Wit Central.

I really like this map!

Thanks. Since it is 2v2 I wanted to create a separate battle zone for wits. You can choose to take the action to the center and battle for the wits, or sneak around to the bases. Most of the current 2v2 maps end up feeling like 1v1 with alternating turns.
01-13-2013, 04:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 04:25 AM by joelduque.)
I was always wondering since there was a map named Long Nine, if there was a map called Short Nine. I did not fork the original one by OML since I can not rename it. I moved the sniper one hex back since p2's sniper could be easily killed by p1 with a runner.
[Image: 163.png]

Edit: I moved the snipers another hex back. I also subtracted an entire row.

You don't know me? Let me introduce myself. I am Anonymous. Super-Titan May the wits ever favor you.
01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
@Short Nine: I call major FTA. Just heal and move your Sniper on turn 1. Protect with predeployed units. GG

jesusfuentesh Wrote:  Harti is like the silent lion. He never says any word, but when so, he was just waiting for his victim haha

[Image: sig.png]
01-15-2013, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-15-2013 12:46 AM by aaronINdayton.)
Seems a little long up top for "short 9"
(01-13-2013 06:41 AM)GreatGonzales Wrote:  Harti I think it's interesting that my favorite map of yours is not your highest rated. I would love to play on Walk the Plank!

[Image: 13.png]

Though I suppose feedback would have a hard time. Seems like that is a common theme in these custom maps.

I believe snipers/bombs can hit the base through their own base on this map, making it quite silly.
01-15-2013, 03:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 12:07 AM by Piko.)
Wow... The OMC is really cool. I hope it'll be possible to play custom maps in near future, at least by Friendly Games and P'n'P. Some fanmade maps looks really cool! Smile

Btw, my first attemp to make a Outwitters Map:
[Image: 215.png]

PS It would be nice to can write a comment under maps. Sometimes it's need to write what in the map should be improved or corrected.